Anybody tried this before?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Taff

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2001
Manchester
There are still a handful of tracks off some Carl Cox mixes I’m after from 1994-95. Not sure if what I’m doing is insane or worth a shot but I am going through every piece of trance/techno between those years on the discogs site to try and find any that have been ripped and put onto YouTube. Has anybody tried this method before to find IDs???

Reactions: chinatownswhite

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
There are still a handful of tracks off some Carl Cox mixes I’m after from 1994-95. Not sure if what I’m doing is insane or worth a shot but I am going through every piece of trance/techno between those years on the discogs site to try and find any that have been ripped and put onto YouTube. Has anybody tried this method before to find IDs???
I have done what you talk about in the past, tbh mate its hit and miss and can take hrs or days if not months, it does help if you have a vocal to go by or a sample and yr etc, but still not 100%...
Regards youtube which I used to hate because of copyright strikes, its now works in our favour has it picks up tracks that have a copyright, and I have found many track ids that way, but again it can be hit or miss and sometimes gives you a false positive and the base of a sample...

Last edited:

brady

VIP Silver Member
Oct 26, 2001
Scottish Borders
www.tracklistings.co.uk
I trawl through Discogs all the time, usually if I get an ID from an obscure Italian label I listen through the other releases on the same label, then tracks by the same producer etc. sometimes you get lucky

but ive never just picked a year & style to trawl that seems a bit much & theres still loads stuff on discogs without videos which is annoying

Superdan

Staff member
Jun 2, 2004
Still Here
www.youtube.com
Wow, how many releases is it showing? Bet theres hundreds of thousands. Good luck to you, although some releases on ogs are listed incorrectly (genre wise) so you still may miss them. I have tried the 'writing a bit of the lyrics into google' method, come up trumps a couple of times with that. Supposed we will do what it takes to find them elusive buggers :)

es_kay

Oct 20, 2020
I've done this, someone has a list of DiY tunes on there, I went through that and found some songs I couldn't ID before.

Taff

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2001
Manchester
Just going through 1994 trance stuff at the moment which Coxy used to play quiet a lot. There’s nearly 5000 to go through though and many tunes on some of the releases. I’ll kick myself if I do t find those elusive tracks, it’s a shame Coxy isn’t a member on here. I can imagine he would get too much ear ache for IDs though if he was :LOL:

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
Just going through 1994 trance stuff at the moment which Coxy used to play quiet a lot. There’s nearly 5000 to go through though and many tunes on some of the releases. I’ll kick myself if I do t find those elusive tracks, it’s a shame Coxy isn’t a member on here. I can imagine he would get too much ear ache for IDs though if he was :LOL:
TBH even if he was he probs would not remember the track..
The amount of stuff that fella was sent in the hope it was played was unreal, I think he even said that himself

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
I trawl through Discogs all the time, usually if I get an ID from an obscure Italian label I listen through the other releases on the same label, then tracks by the same producer etc. sometimes you get lucky

but ive never just picked a year & style to trawl that seems a bit much & theres still loads stuff on discogs without videos which is annoying
We also have to take into account that a track may of been played out in lets say in 92 just a few copies etc, but they then say people are asking for this now lets put it out 8 yrs later

es_kay

Oct 20, 2020
Some people have done some of the hard work already. As well as the DiY list above, I have been through several rave lists that people have compiled.

Taff

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2001
Manchester
What I wish I could do is take the IDs down to Carl Coxes house and set up some speakers outside his driveway and keep playing them over and over until he told me the names. But come to think of it he would probably break my knee caps :crazy:

Taff

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2001
Manchester

Taff

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2001
Manchester
Well this method seems to be working. I’ve found 3 of my most wanted tunes so far! I’m about 1000 records in which has taken me a few days to get through. I will keep you updated with any found off the Carl cox sets…:p

Taff

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2001
Manchester
It’s like panning for gold! Found one Carl cox I’d but can’t remember which set it’s off! It’s a right golden nugget as well!