Alright?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Tris

Apr 16, 2023
Hello there, hope you're all good. I've joined to suck the collective brains of other like minded souls. My musical journey between spotty teenage years and aching bones mid life went from E.L.O and Queen (anything melodramatic) to synthy stuff and a minor obsession with the Pet Shop Boys and a lot of over the top big 80s productions in the Trevor Horn vein, then I was swallowed up by Golden Era Hip Hop. Then along came Acid House which changed everything. Then more hardcore/New Beat ravey gear (hello Sterns), with a leaning towards the Hip Hop inspired breakbeat stuff like Shut Up & Dance before realising that was all a bit hectic and falling in love with vocal/deep House and people like M.A.W, Tony Humphries, Hurley, Todd Terry, DJ Pierre, Boy's Own crew and their productions. Alongside that I got into the Progressive stuff of Guerilla, Limbo that kind of thing. That was the stuff I played when I was actually buying records. Stayed with House until the mid-late 90s and Deep Dish, Angel Moraes, Doc Martin - the more heavier stuff I guess, got a bit bored with that and fell back into Hip Hop and enjoyed Metalheadz/Reinforced era Drum 'n' Bass. Kind of gave up clubbing/raving in the early 00's but never lost an interest in the music.

Club wise I was a South coast/South east punter, traveling between Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Bath, Worthing and Bognor(!), I also spent a lot of time in Brighton (Zap/Escape etc.), Hastings and many trips to that there London for things like Love Ranch, M.O.S and Club U.K, to name a few.

I've recently got back into House but mainly recovering/collecting the early to mid 90s stuff that was my main passion. I like to think I have a fair bit of knowledge but I absolutely bow down to the many, many people who have a far superior knowledge than me - and that's what I'm here for!

Oh yeah, I do occasionally put mixes together - they're on my Mixcloud and reflect the sounds and genres I've mentioned above.

Peace!

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
Great intro Tris & welcome to OSA (y)

Your music journey sounds a bit like mine, regards the early yrs etc, I was into all sorts of rock, synth, punk etc but I used love the hip hop side, hip house ect , never really got into the jungle or DNB it was pure house for me from mid 92 onwards.

Heres My YT channel there is a few sets from Tonic on there etc and bits n bobs from other events 225 sets in total.

Reactions: Tris

Tris

Apr 16, 2023
Great intro Tris & welcome to OSA (y)

Your music journey sounds a bit like mine, regards the early yrs etc, I was into all sorts of rock, synth, punk etc but I used love the hip hop side, hip house ect , never really got into the jungle or DNB it was pure house for me from mid 92 onwards.

Heres My YT channel there is a few sets from Tonic on there etc and bits n bobs from other events 225 sets in total.
Ace, cheers mate - I've been digging in to some of those sets and gathering tunes I'd forgotten the names of. Much appreciated.