Allstar Colts

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Davey

Apr 29, 2006
north west
Back in 1987 I used to play American football for the Manchester Allstar colts. I stopped playing in 1990 basically because I discovered raving:p . Anyhow I bumped into a chap on holiday that was throwing an American football about in the pool with his son & I asked him if he used to play like.
So to cut a long story he said yes and told me the team I used to play for now has a website, so I've been having a look at it & found a team picture with me on it lol.
I've been trying to find old photos of that time myself and maybe adding them to that forum.
It was great to meet that guy & talk about those times it's brought some fond memories back.
Here's the team picture taken in 1988 at Eccles rugby club. I'm # 32 far left front row.

Attachments

• 1988ManchesterAllstarsJuniors.jpg
    1988ManchesterAllstarsJuniors.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 284

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Shoulder pads were big in the 80's;)

American football seemed to be at it's peak around then didn't it:thumbsup: So maybe the rave years saved us from the sport in this country:cool:

Nice little anecdote mate
:thumbsup: :)

Davey

Apr 29, 2006
north west
have you still got the big-shouldered outfitty thing? dare you to wear it to InMyHouse :devil: :D

pmsl dunno if i still have um :turn:
was rooting about on the allstars forum & found out that Vernon Kaye played when I was there apparently. I had a root for a team picture & found one:thumbsup: you can see little Vernon middle row @ the left end above the lad wearing #96 i couldn't believe it when i saw it lol.. small world eh:mad:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.broadhurst2/SAVE0089.BMP

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
:cool: nice spot or random nostalgia for you there Davey

have you still got the big-shouldered outfitty thing? dare you to wear it to InMyHouse :devil: :D

I've got some shoulder pads....well they're actually part of the upper body armour I bought for halfpipe practice years ago, but if anybody wants to sweat like a cant all night, they're welcome to wear it:thumbsup: :D

Davey

Apr 29, 2006
north west
Crazy but true

Right it's been a few years since I posted about my American football past but in Oct this year I was contacted by RDF Television about the Manchester Allstars youth team (Which I was part of 20 years ago) & asked to take part in a programme with Vernon Kay about the Allstars playing one last game. We’re playing Birmingham Lions in January 2011 & it's being shown on itv2 in Feb. It's funny how this has happened really, but I'm embracing the madness. Wish me luck :fekked:

Attachments

• wembley.bmp
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 151

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
I used to play quite a bit at school. My mates dad had a farm and marked out a field for us and we used to hold regular games .. . .Full contact, no pads though. . . .It was Yorkshire.

I was a thin/small child. . . .wonder I was not crippled. . .Just learnt to run fast!

Great Stuff Davey. When is the comeback game. I will come and watch if I can!

woody

We used to play a lot in our school days, inspired by John madden on the mega drive, Joe Montana and jerry rice and the other superstars of the day. Always maintain this was the sport I was destined to play, and wish I'd looked into it more as a kid but was convinced at age 11 I'd make it as a footballer.
Then you discover getting wasted on cider, bongs, and all the other things delinquent teenagers do that make your sporting priorities take a back seat.

I would have made an awesome wide receiver even if I do say so myself :D