1st ever house record official recording on ebay

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

italooldskool

Jun 9, 2004
Been a long time since i last posted on here, but thought this would be of interest to you all.

Jesse Saunders has put the master tape of on and on, on ebay. It'll be interesting how this one unfolds, so if youve got loads of
2.gif
get bidding and own a piece of history :)

Heres what Jesse has to say about it

This is the only recording of the world's first House Music Record in its original form on 1/4" master tape. After 27 years it is available for sale. This is a Collector's dream!
Jesse Saunders is the architect of what we know today as House Music. He wrote, produced, performed and released the world's 1st House Music Recording in 1984 on his upstart label, Jes Say Records out of Chicago. Rare Vinyl recordings have sold on Ebay for as much as $2,500, but never has the original master tape been sold. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to own a piece of rare history in your collection! This original recording has been locked in a vault for more than 25 years. It was produced at Omni Studios in Chicago in December of 1983 and comes with certification as to its authenticity.
Happy bidding!

Heres the link to the ebay auction 1st House Music Recording - ON & ON - Jesse Saunders | eBay

With a buy it now at 10,000 dollars, its gonna come well short of the price of the 7 inch northern soul track frank wilson do you love me that went for about 20 grand a year or two ago!

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Nice find:thumbsup:

Maybe Gregg Wilson can use the original reel in his set, but as nice as it would be in my collection, I wouldn't be able to play it and I can't say that about any record I own. For me, most of the pleasure I get from owning a piece of vinyl is having the ability to play the music in it's most pleasurable form:thumbsup:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Nice find:thumbsup:

Maybe Gregg Wilson can use the original reel in his set, but as nice as it would be in my collection, I wouldn't be able to play it and I can't say that about any record I own. For me, most of the pleasure I get from owning a piece of vinyl is having the ability to play the music in it's most pleasurable form:thumbsup:

Agree on both points. Im happy with my black label Jessay pressing (1 of first 500) of On & On (also have 2 white label Jessay's).

The tape I would love would be a copy of Jamie Principles 1983 tape given to Frankie Kniuckles. I would also argue about On & On being the first house records, even Z Factors Fantasy is before On & On but then other producers like Duane Thamm Jr. could argue the case with ie. Single Girl or or Master Plan Pushin Too Hard or Alias Civil Defense

Still realy nice though and maybe tempted to bid although would have to buy or borrow a reel to reel. Its also a pitty that it does not contain an unreleased mix or unedited version.

S

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Sounds like some gay guy singing over Electro! on a karoke machine!...:S

What a waste of a post.

1, You try making a track with the technology that was available in 1983

2, It was an experimental track, very very early house arguably the first (although I think not)

3, Jesse Sanders is NOT gay however most early house producers of 1983/84 WERE gay and many narrow minded people branded early house as Gay Music hense why it never succeeded commercially in USA until late 90's.

4, Jesse and Vince were kids producing records in their basement, self taught and very limited equipment the power of which would fit in your mobile 10 times over now. On & On is a poor track technically with very poor production values however it marked the begining of a musical movement, kids being able to produce, release and have played out in clubs their tracks.

Sorry mate, On & On IS a very important record and does deserve its place in history unlike 99.9% of todays so called house records.

S

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Didnt sell, no bids etc... To me it sort of shows the state of collectables within the house genre. People want the records to play and equipment to play the records on but the remaining fluff is worth very little.

Good example is flyers, my mum has some from 1960's which are worth a few quid especially 1 which is fully signed by the Beatles. Ive got 100's of flyers from 90-94 and together I would be lucky to get £20?

I would love Jesse's tape but im saving for a trip to Oz so no spare money, besides what would I do with it other than lock it away?

S

Robbie Chopper

Mar 23, 2006
On the mo-fo'in 1's and 2's
i think on its own this probably isn't worth that much, like most of you have said, but it would be interesting to see a collection of memorabilia from house music history, say a load of rare vinyl, some master tapes, signed photos of early producers, some early equiptment etc etc, id love there to be a house music museum full of gubbins and gear from yesteryear :thumbsup:

i think on its own this probably isn't worth that much, like most of you have said, but it would be interesting to see a collection of memorabilia from house music history, say a load of rare vinyl, some master tapes, signed photos of early producers, some early equiptment etc etc, id love there to be a house music museum full of gubbins and gear from yesteryear :thumbsup:

Not Hard Rock Cafe but maybe a Hard Core Cafe :thumbsup:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas

Sorry forgot about equipment, a good TB303 always gets good money much more than the unique On & On tape.

Shooms, Hard Core Cafe......look in Soho im sure youll find one there already, dont know you might be lucky and get your favorite biscuits in there too:p

Im now off out as in Toulouse on business and spotted 2 record shops on the way in!!;)