Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

dannster

VIP Silver Member
Nov 11, 2001
Haydock
www.dannster.com
I would like to know this aswell - My mates used to go the old zone and said it was ace. I have never been but wouldnt mind tryin it out one day. Get a bit put off by Maximes though - heard its a shit hole

dannster

VIP Silver Member
Nov 11, 2001
Haydock
www.dannster.com
yeah I have read that its improved from its bad image a year or two ago regarding troublemakers and stuff but Its the place itself that I have heard bad reports about i.e bogz swimmin with piss, sticky floors, place needs decoratin etc.

I nearly went to the back to the old skool night last saturday but couldnt find a babysitter. Was just gonna have a drive down and check it out while RJ and Butty was on

R J

Sep 29, 2001
Manchester UK
www.aatw.com
The place has gone through quite a change recently and had pretty much a full refurb.

Last night was one of the best nights seen at Maximes for years in my opinion , crowd , club , atmosphere & tunes were all top draw .

Zoneraver will probably be the best person to judge as he's been there done that with the Zone nights , no doubt he will review the night when he surfaces ...

All the past reputation seems to have been put in the past so it might be worth giving it another go ..

dannster

VIP Silver Member
Nov 11, 2001
Haydock
www.dannster.com
Well ya cant argue with that then. I will defo give it a go soon. I think I will buy the box set of the night.

It seems a bit mad though that it was Zone birthday and there was old skool DJ's on the decks. Whats happened to all the other zone DJ's?

Are you a zone DJ now RJ? what do you prefer best?

jamie_crichton

Registered Member
Feb 7, 2002
cumbria
www.jayonline.tk
zone has been to whitehaven and workington before havent they. Zonecrew is probably the best person to ask.

b4 they knocked the old college down it was covered in zone graffiti n shit was pretty funny reading it walkin into the new college.

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
I'm nit picking here but isn't it a bit late for an 11th birthday or have they just chosen an arbituary date to get punters in. I've got Zone flyers from early July 91, in fact they're on Zoneravers site cause I sent them to him.

As for the "It isn't as good as it used to be" debate. It wasn't that good at the start, Hackets was loads better. The Zone only became the place to be after Hackets lost it.

R J

Sep 29, 2001
Manchester UK
www.aatw.com
Jonno said:
I'm nit picking here but isn't it a bit late for an 11th birthday or have they just chosen an arbituary date to get punters in. I've got Zone flyers from early July 91, in fact they're on Zoneravers site cause I sent them to him.

As for the "It isn't as good as it used to be" debate. It wasn't that good at the start, Hackets was loads better. The Zone only became the place to be after Hackets lost it.

It was late this year your quite correct in your nit picking, there were some problems in booking DJ's etc that delayed the night by a month or so.

At the end of the day Zone are still around 11 years later which is an achievement in itself and worthy of celebration be it a couple of months wide of the mark or not .

zonecrew

Sep 1, 2001
Workington
Zones never been to Workington or Whitehaven, its been to Carlisle

Can i just say how good Maximes was last Saturday, it was top drawer! I would do a proper review but unfortunately i was a bit
:fekked: so my memorys a bit blank and my mate got threw out at about 2am for being a bit naughty in the toilet so we ended up walking the streets of Wigan till 4am till the bus came back

All of the sets stood out for me especially Andys and Ricks and the crowd were the most up for it that i've winessed in the club, it certainly brought back many good memories of the best nights in Blackpool. I didnt manage to see Friday Night Posse but i wasnt bothered anyway as they are not even old skool, i would have prefered someone like Dymensions myself. There was no hint of trouble that i saw and the new policy of not allowing people to dance with their tops off is the best thing to happen in the club for a long time. I used to hate it when sweaty pumped up scallies would spend half the night dancing topless in front of your woman, it makes the place look a lot less intimidating!!

Anyone who has been to the club before and had a bad night then go back and judge it again, its changed for the better!

If Kev reads this i was talking to your mate in the queue before it started, i cant remember his name. I think he said he was a mate of Keith Capsticks!

jamie_crichton

Registered Member
Feb 7, 2002
cumbria
www.jayonline.tk
zonecrew said:
LOL i would double check that man i have 2 tapes from 95 which i have bought of mates, their both zone tapes and ones from the park and ones from forum, i can do ya a copy of both of em if u wish.

gutted that u got kicked out man! least ya still went till 2am.

lol it says on thats tape, "whitehaven crew come alive one time"

its class as f**k:pixie:

zonecrew

Sep 1, 2001
Workington
jamie_crichton said:
zonecrew said:
LOL i would double check that man i have 2 tapes from 95 which i have bought of mates, their both zone tapes and ones from the park and ones from forum, i can do ya a copy of both of em if u wish.

gutted that u got kicked out man! least ya still went till 2am.

lol it says on thats tape, "whitehaven crew come alive one time"

its class as f**k:pixie:

The Zone has NEVER been to Workington or Whitehaven, i have followed the club since 93 so i would know if it was on in my home town;)

They have had old skool nights in the Park, Madisons and The Old Hall which have attracted former Zone DJ's and MC's but the nights were nothing to do with the Zone, they were organised by the clubs themselves to latch onto the popularity of the scene in the mid 90's.

I think whats happened to you is you have some tapes from these clubs that someones assumed they were Zone tapes just coz the musics Italian, they have then wrote on the front of them that its a Zone tape!

I would have loved the Zone to have been on in my town but i can say 100% that it never mate;)

IMO - Zone lost its Cred when matt bell left andy d etc - the whole of the music changed aswell - goin on to the euro cheesy vibe and just local djs they used to ave guests - Rick are you actually playin said zone music then - stuff like dyemension - sunflower- yama IMO the cheesier side of things stuff like this - or just playin same as what play at GT ( Club classics )

al

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

butty

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 15, 2001
Manchester
www.oldskoolanthems.com
OldskoolDazed (al) said:
IMO - Zone lost its Cred when matt bell left andy d etc - the whole of the music changed aswell - goin on to the euro cheesy vibe and just local djs they used to ave guests - Rick are you actually playin said zone music then - stuff like dyemension - sunflower- yama IMO the cheesier side of things stuff like this - or just playin same as what play at GT ( Club classics )

al

lol i like yer use of the IMO's there al mate, ur learnin mukka :thumbsup:

:)

R J

Sep 29, 2001
Manchester UK
www.aatw.com
OldskoolDazed (al) said:

al

Mixture of both as the crowd is a mixture but not so much the cheesy side things like JK - Beat It and that sort of stuff, if you played a full set of pure zone classics it would go straight over half the peoples heads and the night would be finished within 6 months. You have to get the balance right, you can't forget where the night came from altogether but it has to move on and progress in a fashion.

(Disclaimer: This does not mean i sanction or agree with the way any night or music in general has progressed in the last ten years.)

kev

Feb 1, 2002
Kendal-Cumbria
www.italiandance.co.uk
Alrite Chaps,

I ended up driving down coz Capstick was stuck for a lift. I didnt think the night was anything special really to much hard house for my liking, Capstick was only on for the first hour!! which was an utter discrace since he was the only resident Zone dj there!! how you can put the main Zone dj on first is beyond me. Well its Zone's loss coz he quit at the end of the night due to the politics of the zone nights (which will please mr Hypnotic!) coz that means no more italian/Zone classics will ever be played at maximes!

Anyway rant over, I think RJ had a good set nice to hear that Hysteria "energy express" tune it got me up and dancin and so did that Lalene "the best" tune you played ( do ya wanna sell it by any chance;) )

Zonecrew, its a shame we didnt get to meet coz it would of been nice to put a face to some names off this site, i met up with Mikey on Sunday at melody house and a top bloke he is too. BTW if you wanna hear the proper italian classics you should get yourself to that replay night in fleetwood with dj's Keith Capstick/Mikey and Barrie Jay all the best tunes from 1990-1993 i think thats where the Zone heads will be in future :thumbsup:

Hopefully see you there

All the best..............Kev