Would You Save A Stranger?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

shazza

VIP Silver Member
Nov 30, 2007
bootle liverpool
Omg....tv programme last night really upset me...Last Night’s TV - Cutting Edge: Would You Save a Stranger? @ Unreality Primetime
To think that if you were in trouble...i.e..gettin your head kicked in on a crowded bus..) not one person would try and stop it!!!!
Some of the stories of bravery, and also cowardice, touched me...
It was an excellent documentary.
I would like to think that I would stand up and save someone but not sure about someone with a gun :S
Makes you think....

simzzzz

i watched that...made me angry though

the guy who got stabbed was harsh...why would anyone choose to rob a store with a gun and stab someone over money that was prob only around a grand or so ! is it worth getting caught for firearms, attempted murder and robbery for such small amount of money ??:naughty:

we did a massive module on the nature of "altruism" in psychology. Most people usually help people if 1. they're not in danger themselves, 2. they empathise with the in need of help (old people, women with children) 3. to make themselves feel good.

these are all ok-true altruism happens without thought-u just do it-and no thought to the consequences...even if u risk ur life. this is rare.

also-people have a displacement of responsibility (someone else will do it).
Once this girl was getting attacked in a suburban area-screaming etc. something like 25 people heard the screams that night-but not one rang the police (cuz they thought someone else would do it). she died.

I started watching that proggy last night...but got tired. interesting stuff. I once stopped a fight on a bus-not really the same as the bus thing on the prog (bats n shit were not an issue). I'd like to think i'd do something-but sometimes nature n ur need to survive might take over...u'd have to be incredibly brave i think...sadly, i dunno weather i am???:|

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
i remember kate off here stopping some girl gettin her head caved in in altrincham last year.........good on her i say!!

id like to think i would help out but never being caught up in a situation like that i dont know if i could if it came down to it........i suppose with adrenalin etc i wouldnt give it a split second and i think its ur natural instinct to react.

i suppose you never know until it actualy happens!

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
I watched this too (albeit with subtitles on as Woody was making a racket on his decks) ;) :p

Thought it was really interesting, and a good idea for a programme. Found it quite upsetting and I admit it actually made me well up, a few times actually :(

Thought the part where one of the people said something about ~ people hope that if they were in trouble someone would come to help them ~ was terribly sad :( Its true, you would all like to think it but I think its probably a rarity these days unfortunately.

On one of the scenarios based on a bus, think it was the one about 10 onto 1 (with sticks and belts) ~ I suppose people would find it hard to wade into the middle of that, especially if they're the only one who pipes up, then it'd be 10 onto 2 no doubt :|
I think theres a lot of reluctance these days too because of the whole knife culture thing, whether that fear is overeggaxerated or not I dont know,but the fact is it does happen a lot! and I suppose people fear for their own lives, especially if they have kids or something. Its the 'what if..' factor. Trouble is, the poor sod on the floor may be someones mum or dad, and certainly someones child themselves :(

I thought the oldish couple who helped out the bloke did themselves proud, and I thought it was nice that they had the chance to meet up with the victim in nicer circumstances later on ):

Theres a lot of cnuts out there :naughty: but every decent person is worth a hundred of them :naughty: :alcohol:

Also, if the attackers can be so blatant and disregarding of the surroundings and who can see them, then it makes you wonder if they'd give a shit about turning on you too in broad daylight.

Really, really hard to say what you would do in the situation unless / until you're actually faced with it though

Last edited:

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
we did a massive module on the nature of "altruism" in psychology. Most people usually help people if 1. they're not in danger themselves, 2. they empathise with the in need of help (old people, women with children) 3. to make themselves feel good.

these are all ok-true altruism happens without thought-u just do it-and no thought to the consequences...even if u risk ur life. this is rare.

also-people have a displacement of responsibility (someone else will do it).
Once this girl was getting attacked in a suburban area-screaming etc. something like 25 people heard the screams that night-but not one rang the police (cuz they thought someone else would do it). she died.
?:|

Oh I remember her from psychology, Kitty Genovese.

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
I've helped other people in major trouble in the past and received feck all gratitude for it (obviously you shouldn't expect gratitude but yano..)...so even if I did it to make myself feel good (which was obviously not a conscious reason), it had the opposite affect anyway lol.

tricky nicky

Sep 18, 2006
in heaven of course!!
i would weigh the the situation initially but, and have done in the past, have a go at helping.
if i knew i was on to a loser i would ring for the boys in blue:cops:
i couldnt watch the programme as anything with a hint of sadness sets the waterworks off these days!!!!pregnancy hormones:cry: :cry:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
It's a sad state of affairs if people don't at least try to do something In 1 sided attacks when there's other people around them to back you up. I think it'd be harder to stand back and do nothing than at least trying to reason verbally with the offender if you don't fancy your chances of pulling someone off someone being attacked.

Doesn't mean i'll take too kindly to someone smaller than me threatening me though and i'll tell em in no uncertain terms :naughty: So I do realise how some of these things actually start and that's why it's difficult to assess what you're seeing in most of the town centre scuffles.

I lost my hearing in one ear for a few weeks about 6 or 7 years ago after sorting out some cnut that was battering a girl one night and making the mistake of walking off with my back to him after I thought i'd beaten him then he ran up behind me and punched me in the ear rupturing my eardrum, before running off:cry: I did question my logic when my ears were so unbalanced it was causing me no end of problems and I was worried my ear would never recover:(

If only people fought fairly using schoolyard rules. No head kicking, no punching from behind and no weapons.