Wobble / Crunch / Hacienda Warehouse Party @ The Rainbow, Birmingham 13/06/08

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
'kin hell! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

What an amazing night. I knew I was gonna enjoy it, given the selection of rooms but I hadn't bargained on being this impressed :love: :alcohol:

Got to the Crown for a few drinks about 9 ish, and meet up with everyone. Ended up getting carried away nattering etc... til well gone 11. Finally strolled up the road to the Rainbow warehouse, and even as we were outside the place you could hear the tunes pumping out of the shutters / over the exposed parts of open wall giving you that excited butterlies in the tummy feeling of an impending ace night ahead, just like the old days :cool: also the Hac themed graffiti outside done for the night was a cool touch :cool:

The venue was amazing , totally fell in love with it :love: Filed into the place past the ice cream van, which was a bit surreal, then straight ahead was a gazebo with BBQ going on underneath it. Swift detour to the right and we ended up in the beach (room 3), which was even more surreal as you realise its not just an uneven floor, its the room with the 40 tonnes of bloody sand they'd shipped in especially :D :cool:
It was under a railway arch but also had a retractable roof attached, so you were kinda outdoors but indoors at the same time :D
The tropical trees, and sun longers all added to it too, and the DJ booth was a wooden beach hut, like the little carribean beach bars you get, and the music was all happy and party stuff making you feel like you should be limboing or doing the lambada or something :fekked: lol

Made it to the main room which was the Hacienda one, which is where I stayed nearly all night, proper warehouse feel to it (err, because it WAS one , lol) ;) every tune was good, toilets were even ok! :eek: and I cant fault the crowd either, very up for it, and not an ounce of attitude anywhere :thumbsup: grungy types dancing next to bling gangster types dancing next to old fogies dancing next to glammed up trendies..... was mint :cool: :king:
Some memorable tunes played were such stuff as : Brand New Heavies 'back to love', Charles B 'lack of love' , Fast Eddie 'Can you dance' (which obviously made uas buzz even more at the thought of seeing the man himself play it only the week before) :cool: , Roberta Flack, Kid n Play, Papau New Guinea... the list just goes on and on :banana:

Oh and the sound sytem was incredible :eek: ~ Funktion 1 ~ sounds fantastic :king:

Surprised myself by pretty much going there because of the wobble room, but then ending up only poking my head in there a few times. :eek: The main room was just too good though!

Was great to catch up with loads of my old lot, plenty turned out so I was really pleased :love:

Shout to the mini OSA contingent that turned out : Duke (quick pint in the Crown), Youngy, Simmzz and his lot (nice to meet you at last mate) :thumbsup: and my Road Trip accomplices Saysay and Mr Radish and Woody :love:

Amazing venue, great company, great music, great crowd, what else do ya need? :cool:

9.5/10 with points only docked because they should've painted the pillars in the warehouse yellow and black striped... ;)

Bostin'! :D

simzzzz

agree with TC :thumbsup:

thought the venue was ace, propper old skool warehouse style, didnt really get to go in any other rooms as was so good in the hacienda room.

class music all night, went a bit acid towards the end which was ace :thumbsup:

lol i rocked my bollox off dancing at front of stage like a loony:cool:

had the worst hangover i have ever had yesterday, but man it was worth it...

all i say is bring on the 29th when 808 STATE play a dj set :thumbsup: :cool: :wave:

great to meet the OSA crew..Duke, Radish, say say, woody, TC :cool:

Noel

May 12, 2003
Wolverhampton
Great music. Cool people. Top night! :cool:

Got to the old crown around 11ish for a couple... must've just missed you lot (should never have popped into Sobar, which was cack, for a pint on the way from the train station!). Not been there before but quite liked it even though it was fairly quiet... I imagine it was quite busy earlier on?

Then onto the Warehouse at 11:30ish. Really like the venue, it's the beach\outside bit that makes it for me. I'd been before on the May Day holiday but they had made it a lot smaller by moving the beach to under the arch. The bar facilities had improved and it also had proper toilet facilities instead of portaloo's (unless I missed em last time?).

The tunes were superb in the Hac room... pretty much all late 80's (only remember hearing Charvoni, BNH & FSOL from the 90's.. I could easily have forgotten or missed some though), lot's of acid too... would've liked to have heard some of the Hip Hop that Park & Pickering used to play, but there was none of that unfortunately. Roberta Flack and the Mayday mix of 'Wild Times' stood out for me and my mate as we'd never heard them played out before. Spent most my time in there, but kept moving around and occasionally popping into the Wobble room and beach bit.

Thought the crowd was great with a good cross section of different kind of peeps as TC say's, no pretentiousness and everybody just up for having a good time. Was surprised at how young some of the peeps were too. Also knew loads of peeps there, which is always good... loads were over from Wolves and various bods I know from Brum were there too.

Was good to see that Parky hung around after his set too... bumped into him in the toilets and had a brief chat. Also ended up at a house with a bloke named Simon who'd been DJing in the wobble room... no idea if it was Si Long or not, never thought to ask him.

Think it's on for another 14 weeks with a 20 years of house music theme, but they'll do well to top this night.....

Noel

May 12, 2003
Wolverhampton
Some pics...

Hacienda room...

Attachments

• IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    578.9 KB · Views: 8,213
  • IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    435 KB · Views: 1,396
  • IMG_0578.JPG
    IMG_0578.JPG
    547.8 KB · Views: 11,623

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
Hacienda room...

I was all over the place to be honest.. had a couple of spells dancing where I took those pics from.

Hilarious. Could be completely wrong here, but is that you and Woody right by the speakers on the left?

yep me black adidas t-shirt on and with my hands in the air ~(which was pretty much constant all night, lol) , woody to my left, Mr Radish in stripey top to his left and you can just about make out saysays blonde hair over to the right of me :)

Youngy

Jan 23, 2007
Agreed was an excellent night. Really good vibe from everyone and some of those tunes havent heard on a big system for around 15 years, especially 'Robin Wants Revenge' - almost blew a gasket when that came on :D Good to see loads of people havent seen in ages TC etc and meet Woody/Saysay and Mr Radish.

Saysay

VIP Gold Member
Apr 20, 2003
Madchester
www.mixcloud.com
This was a PROPER good night!! :D

Firstly big thanks to Woody and teece for the hospitality and Chris (Radish) for the lift back home the next day! :cool: :thumbsup:

We got into brum and headed straight for the crown which was a nice little boozer, got quite busy in there too. Met a couple of teeces mates and also simzzz ....headed over to the rainbow warehouse just gone 11pm , you could hear the tunes as you were walking up :cool: , got there and went in and straight onto the 'beach' which was fantastic :D :redneck: proper cool haha! We then took a walk around and into the Hac room and was greeted by 'Electric Dance' by the Jungle Crew and i was like :eek::| YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH this is ace!! haha , next tune after that was Bam Bam's - Give it to me (acid revenge mix) , was lovin the tunes in there, proper spot on :thumbsup: danced all night and i was sober as a judge! :D

The venue really was top!! The ice cream van, the burger stand, the beach, the sun loungers, the warehouse etc etc etc , was brilliant! :cool:

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
The venue really was top!! The ice cream van, the burger stand, the beach, the sun loungers, the warehouse etc etc etc , was brilliant! :cool:

nice signature pic ;) :cool: :D

If I wasn't there it wasn't a proper Crunch / Wobble reunion night :p

well I did badger (badger badger..) you enough :naughty: :(
Shoom, i'm telling ya, it was better than I ever imagined, i'm still buzzing like mad at the thought of it now :love: :)
If there is another one you've GOT to come. No ifs, no buts! :crazy: