What will happen if the polar ice caps melt?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

rickyp

Jan 2, 2003
Bolton
had this argument with my girlfriend last nite and I am interested in the replies it will get.

I suggest that sea levels will rise. The example i used is if you had a washing up bowl full of water and another one full of water that was frozen to ice.. if you melted the ice then poured it into the tub full of water the water would over flow.

She says she has be told that the density of water and ice is the same and that the ice caps melting would not affect sea levels, but, the reason for sea levels rising is erosion.

I have since found some facts on this but am interested in what other people think.

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
Seeing as Im only allowed 50 word posts (lol), in short, We would all die. lol.

We are all dooooooooooomed I tell you, dooooomed.

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
Well, as I understand it...

The Arctic is one giant floating lump of ice, and 4/5 of it is under water. So if that melted then only the 1 remaining 5th would have any effect on the level of the sea.

Antarctica on the other hand is a bit different as it is actually a solid land mass that is covered in fucking shitloads of snow and ice. So I'd be slightly more worried if that completely melted.

Interesting fact... Antarctica is actually the largest desert on Earth, recieving only 2cm of precipitation a year.

simzzzz

One theory im kinda hooked on is the Gulf Stream ;)

D@dalos - Sustainability: Example: Climate Change - Gulf Stream

its quite interesting - if the gulf stream slows down or stops were fekked :(

with you on that !!! as a country GB should be exactly the same weather system as canada, very cold with snow, we are not because of the gulf stream, this they say one day is going to stop !!!:fekked: we will have no farm produce etc...our industry is fooked !!!!

anyway befor this happens and the polar ice caps will melt and we will live in a hotter climate !! :thumbsup: be like living in Ibiza !! PARTY :thumbsup:

OutLander

Apr 6, 2006
milton keynes
www.turnmills.co.uk
with you on that !!! as a country GB should be exactly the same weather system as canada, very cold with snow, we are not because of the gulf stream, this they say one day is going to stop !!!:fekked: we will have no farm produce etc...our industry is fooked !!!!

Having weather similar to some parts of Canada is not as bad as it sounds. Yes, we'd have colder Winters but that'd bring lots of snow with it! Just think, White Christmas's and great Skiing/Snow Boarding!!!! every year :) Plus Canada has Summer tempratures in the mid 30's :cool:

Stylee

Mar 10, 2006
The posh bit of Liverpool
Froma good source, i have been told that we will all fight for the high ground and travel round in boats, kind of like mad max but on water, the women will be hunted by the new pirate government for recreation and replicational purposes, its also documented that one will find the seagulls nest, and become ruler of the earth.

i could however be wrong