The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

parky

Sep 14, 2007
lancaster
i was just interested in what people are using to make their tracks
software,tools ,gadgets e.t.c

i only have a poor mans set up:( mainly software and sample bassed stuff
i have a simple midi keyboard wired to my pc( m-audio sound card)
with reason 4 and ableton live
i use recycle2 a lot for messing with loops and beats
and i got a collection of vst which i can use in ableton
also i got into a bit of rewire

just looking into protools too. been told its the dogs bollocks at recording and mastering the final sound.

some of the homegrown music on here has been proper decent
so i was wondering what you all use and is there any tools you would recommend ?

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
Cubase SX3 / SX4
Nexus
V-Station
Korg Digital Collection
V-Station
Bass Station
Trilogy
Vanguard
Albino
Z3TA+
Battery
T-Racks
Adobe Audition
Recycle - absolutely fantastic programme
Monitors are a pair of Mackie 624s
MIDI controller is a Korg Triton. Never use the sounds off it anymore though... :(

Used to use Reason a bit, but no need for it at all now.

Also used Pro Tools a lot at Uni. Never really liked it to be honest. Not really all that different from Cubase & Logic - they all kind of do the same things. Two things that bugged me about it was splitting a stereo audio file into two mono files, and with it being on a Mac there was only one mouse button, which is fucking stupid.

I wouldn't worry about having a "poor man's setup." It's not what you've got and how much you've spent, it's what you can achieve with what you've got.

Tune 1 was done at school in 1994 on an Atari ST with a little MIDI sound module

Degree 1 was done in 2004 on an Akai S300XL, sequenced with Cubase VST

The Skyla remix was done a couple of months ago

Attachments

• Tune 1.mp3
    978.9 KB · Views: 575
  • Degree Tune 1.mp3
    895.7 KB · Views: 600
  • Skyla - Breaking Free (Frisco Remix).mp3
    1,022.1 KB · Views: 633
Mostly digital, with a bit of analogue for me,

Nuendo/cubase for sequencing, waves diamond plugins bundle, virtual Soft synths including Moog/minimoog/albino 2/3, Blue, Vangard, csv80, korg and a few others... and audio samples on cd and minidisc.
Protools on an old G4 for editing/ mastering/ mixes.

I wud luv to incorporate some hardware eventually...
an akaiS5000 and a room of real MOOGS/909/303 etcphones:

hhhmmm outboard...

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
Cubase SX3 / SX4
Nexus
V-Station
Korg Digital Collection
V-Station
Bass Station
Trilogy
Vanguard
Albino
Z3TA+
Battery
T-Racks
Adobe Audition
Recycle - absolutely fantastic programme
Monitors are a pair of Mackie 624s
MIDI controller is a Korg Triton. Never use the sounds off it anymore though... :(

Used to use Reason a bit, but no need for it at all now.

Also used Pro Tools a lot at Uni. Never really liked it to be honest. Not really all that different from Cubase & Logic - they all kind of do the same things. Two things that bugged me about it was splitting a stereo audio file into two mono files, and with it being on a Mac there was only one mouse button, which is fucking stupid.

I wouldn't worry about having a "poor man's setup." It's not what you've got and how much you've spent, it's what you can achieve with what you've got.

Tune 1 was done at school in 1994 on an Atari ST with a little MIDI sound module

Degree 1 was done in 2004 on an Akai S300XL, sequenced with Cubase VST

The Skyla remix was done a couple of months ago

Looks like quite the setup fella, you reckon ill be in the no-how on how all this works when im back? Im a proper noob. sorry for Hi-jacking the Thread,

:thumbsup:

Candyman

Jan 15, 2007
GT Yarmouth
www.corruptskys.co.uk
i mostly use magix music maker - dance edition to put a track together and lay effects, use a bunch of other progys too and an old keyboard, but in the past i have used a ps1 to build tracks and have 1 or 2 cool tunes just using that, its all about learning how stuff works and playing with it all till you get the sounds you like. :)

parky

Sep 14, 2007
lancaster
while i was on this topic i spotted something that might make you oldskool tune makers interested in

i seen a group on facebook of frank dewulf and some one asked what kit he had back then in 90's to make the b -sides EP
the tunes was

The Tape (Remix)
Magic Orchestra
Compression
Butterfly

and this is what he put

"At that time I used Cubase as sequenser, AKAI samplers, Juno's, TR303-808-909 etc. some old vintage synthesizers arp's, etc etc...
compressors, Tascam mixing desc and yamaha O2R, Yamaha NS10 speakers and some club gear to check out with a bit more volume... Also my car system was very reference for a 'club' sound
and then the clubs to hear it in the 'real thing'..."

i like the tip about trying it out on big equipmement to see if it has that punch. still looks a nice setup for even back then