What mixer....

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Stylee

Mar 10, 2006
The posh bit of Liverpool
Coolio, im gonna get the 600, the blue is acting up at the mo and im geting a bit of spitting and hissing out of it, have ordered a 600 from my local supplier (support you local business) and as i have used him for some years hes giving me a tidy little numark for half price to see me though till mine is in stock which i think is top notch of him.:thumbsup:

cheers for the feedback guys, much appreciated :)

Robbie

static

Jan 16, 2006
Atlanta Georgia
www.mixcloud.com
I'm one of the few people that really doesn't like the pioneer mixers.
If you're serious about scratching you can't go wrong with the Rane Empath.
They have even got a GrandMaster Flash signature series.
And Rane has been around forever and always put out top notch audio equipment. empathblack.gif

Mister_DJ

May 1, 2003
Location Location
bucky said:
I've got a DJM600 at home, the sound isn't up to much, how ever for fun and all round skillz in the mix it's perfect.

Agreed on the sound thing with a Pioneer. The 600 is great if you play out as its an industry standard and its a fab mixer with some wicked features...:thumbsup: phones: However if you want great sound quality I would say go 4 something else like an Allen & Heath or that Technics 1200 one (but have heard the A&H's are no good for scratchers - BJ mentioned the one in the Music Box. I like it a lot but I can't scratch to save meself so it suits me fine :$ )

:thumbsup:

Mart
:rolleyes:

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
static said:
I'm one of the few people that really doesn't like the pioneer mixers.
If you're serious about scratching you can't go wrong with the Rane Empath.
They have even got a GrandMaster Flash signature series.
And Rane has been around forever and always put out top notch audio equipment.View attachment 18007
Cheers for that (and Bucky too!), I'm edging towards a Rane now (it's slightly cheaper for a start!).

Well as this is OSA the only mixer worth its weight back in the day was Formula Sound PM-80 so most of the tape club downloads on here would have been through this.
It was industry standard back then Hacienda Thunderdome Frenzy Shaboo etc all had to have this before we played.
Plus points today still are the lenght of the sliders allowing for really incremental increases in volume on an input ,In Europe at the time they used even longer sliders. Also the gain and bass and treble pots which again were incremental.now its standard but mixing a LP track into a 12" was a nightmare as the levels are so different.
Formula sound is based in stockport all the components even for there old units are still avaliable and they are bringing a upto date PM-80 with state of the art sound (limited edition):thumbsup:

kells&tots

Jun 11, 2004
Leeds
Pioneers 500/600 are wicked for home use, love them to bits but......Everyone will prob jump on me for sayin this but they are so shite for club use, no really they are...Mission in leeds wont even let us put ours in instead of the A&H (used to hate A&H ,but dont now)..sound quality is very poor (even pioneer will admit its not a club mixer and never intended to be so) the trouble is they get too hot far too easily, and then the effects dont work properly etc..most decent clubs will not use them these days and go for any by A&H as they really are top draw when it comes to sound quality (best filters too)

So, Pioneer come up with the DJM 800 (this is so so so cool) its like a 500/600 but like a thousand times better with the sound quality of a A&H.. costs £995 but is wicked. check it out, iv had a go on one and fell in love with it:thumbsup:

whoever mentioned the pioneer 909 is correct too, we had to get this in the club for nipper and he rocked that mixer... awesome bit of kit.

bucky

I think the Formula Sounds are ace sound wise, how ever using them just doesnt feel right sometimes for me. On Boxing Day I couldn't get into it at all :(

If your talking back in the day, then Bozak or Urei and Rane would have shit on the Formula Sound from a great height:p

:D

Yes "would have" but nobody used them because 1988 uk house scene to 1992 used PM-80s everywhere and nothing else we didnt even know what a rane or Urei was. And I still dont care because they werent used and unless someone lets me lend their time machine all those mixes that are downloaded are on PM-80s thats a fact. PM-80s Icons

kells&tots

Jun 11, 2004
Leeds
1988star said:
Yes "would have" but nobody used them because 1988 uk house scene to 1992 used PM-80s everywhere and nothing else we didnt even know what a rane or Urei was. And I still dont care because they werent used and unless someone lets me lend their time machine all those mixes that are downloaded are on PM-80s thats a fact. PM-80s Icons

upload a pic of a PM - 80 ???

www.formula-sound.com then read the intro PM-80R is the new beast.

Myself... Mike Pickering ,Graeme Park ,Laurent Garnier ,Sasha ,Tony Ross ,Mike Woods ,Jon Da Silva ,Jay etc wouldnt have seen anything else
That baby kicked the Hacienda from day 1 to the death as it did at the Thunderdome Legends Frenzy Shaboo live the dream Joy >.................

Looks like your in a studio with real sliders not 25mm length on/off sliders

Last edited:

kells&tots

Jun 11, 2004
Leeds
1988star said:
www.formula-sound.com then read the intro PM-80R is the new beast.

Myself... Mike Pickering ,Graeme Park ,Laurent Garnier ,Sasha ,Tony Ross ,Mike Woods ,Jon Da Silva ,Jay etc wouldnt have seen anything else
That baby kicked the Hacienda from day 1 to the death as it did at the Thunderdome Legends Frenzy Shaboo live the dream Joy >.................

Looks like your in a studio with real sliders not 25mm length on/off sliders

wow looks mad, is the pic the new model?? steve do u know if this is the mixer Ark used in its early years too?

badroxx

May 20, 2004
Warrington
I have the Formula Sound pm 80 and the Urei1620LE both are fantastic mixers the latter being the best sound I have ever heard it frightens the children, I wouldn't piss on a pioneer 600 if it was on fire but each to their own I lasted 3 weeks with one, search ebay for a formula Sound or put your hand in your pocket and buy a Urei or Rane for that matter if your serious about sound.

http://clubsystemsinternational.com/issues/0405/people.htm

Attachments

• UREI-1620LE-lg.jpg
    UREI-1620LE-lg.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 2,482

kells&tots

Jun 11, 2004
Leeds
badroxx said:
I have the Formula Sound pm 80 and the Urei1620LE both are fantastic mixers the latter being the best sound I have ever heard it frightens the children, I wouldn't piss on a pioneer 600 if it was on fire but each to their own I lasted 3 weeks with one, search ebay for a formula Sound or put your hand in your pocket and buy a Urei or Rane for that matter if your serious about sound.

http://clubsystemsinternational.com/issues/0405/people.htm

interested to know your views on top end A&H and Vestax?? seriously?

badroxx

May 20, 2004
Warrington
Can't as I have never owned either one of them so I really can't comment but I have played on the A&H xone 92 and found it did the job on the night.

bucky

kells&tots said:
Pioneers 500/600 are wicked for home use, love them to bits but......Everyone will prob jump on me for sayin this but they are so shite for club use, no really they are...

Agreed. Sometimes a guest at the club requests one and you really do notice the difference in sound through out the club. They are not club installation mixers.

The A & H holds up well on the Phazon, how ever for awesome sound and power, the Rane wins hands down. Peeps get put off because its rotary, though everyone I know who has played using the Rane had a wank afterwards.

:D

Stylee

Mar 10, 2006
The posh bit of Liverpool
Just looking into the Ranes,

If my Pioneer aint here by the end of the week im going to have a word about switching if he can get hold of them :thumbsup:

been reading a few reviews on tinterweb and got a lot of good feedback on them, sooung just what im looking for, just gotta see if this 600 comes in tho as dont want to stich him up if it does :fekked:

Wezza

Apr 21, 2005
Nearer Than You Think .....
Jiglo said:
I'm happy with this one (Vestax PMC 05 Pro II) :thumbsup: :)

It's a simple mixer for simple people (or is it a special mixer for special people :S :p ) it's good quality and it works:)

yer am happy with my mixer too had about 3 diffrent ones numark pro-smi , technics shdj 1200 , kam beat pro ,and thought id try a vestax one better than the kam and better than the numark one the technics one was shit hot .
but can't grumbel with this one .
one thing that iv'e never got my head round wot's the nobbs for on the right hand side under the master volume c . f . mode or something like that ?:|

Attachments

• mixer.JPG
    mixer.JPG
    768.9 KB · Views: 151