Wallpapering top tips

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

'Shabba'

Mar 3, 2003
Sniffing glue........again!
Now that i've got far too much time on my hands, i've got up this morning walked into the kitchen and ripped off all the wallpaper which i have hated for 2 years since i moved in and decided to re paper the walls!!!

I've been out and got some fab dark red wall paper which isn't technically for kitchens but i loved the colour and it is that wipe clean stuff so i hope it'll do the trick. All the proper kitchen stuff was hideous:eek:

Anyway, i've never actually wallpapered before so i'm pretty much gonna have to make it up as i go along. I've got the paste stuff and a brush, i'm guessing it can't be that hard:thumbsup:

Any top tips or advice from someone who has actually done it before, however, would be mucho appreciato:D

'Shabba'

Mar 3, 2003
Also if you are scaping off the old wallpaper 1st (which you should be doing unless you are a dirty council scrubber) then score it with a stanley knife in a cross hatch kinda way... then soak it with warm soapy water... scrapes off a treat then :D

It was that old and mingin it literally peeled off in whole strips:|

Right, halfway through i reck, there's more bubbled than a Michael Jackson convention but you know what, i don't care, i'm just proud it's up and staying up(so far:$ )

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
Wallpapering Top Tip .....

Get someone else to do it! :D

lol, i thought that too :D

never again...wallpapered my flat once, and regretted it when i moved out and had to strip the lot off to get my bond back , it was a fooker to get off :naughty:

the putting it on was quite fun tho, got my lot round , about 6 of us, bottle of voddy each, ad just got on with it whilst working our way thru the bottles :D
strangely, it seemed to get better the more pissed we got :confused: first bit was a bit dodgy but we had it sussed by near the end between us :D

have to say though, the removal of it put me off for life, its far too much hassle :(

'Shabba'

Mar 3, 2003
It passed an afternoon anyway, not the best papering going but it covers all the necessary bits:D

With it being a kitchen it was fiddly as fuck with cupboard and stuff.:crazy:

T.C, i'm not diggin the drunk wall papering idea, i have come soo close to falling off work surfaces cos there's wallpaper paste everywhere and i can't see cos of the big sheet of paper in front of my face, i so would have died doing that after drinking vodka:|

Davey

Apr 29, 2006
north west
let the paste soak into the paper for a few minutes before you hang it should help reduce the bubbles. what i do is paste a few drops in front and let them soak :)

:turn:

Inchigh

Mar 23, 2007
Republic of Mancunia
better still is to get all thi walls flat as fook, either by flatting down or re-plastering.................you can then paint it a piece of piss, to suit your new style/decor...........;)

ClaireW

Aug 1, 2003
Manchester
Top tip !! Bit late maybe but never mind ..... its better to get thicker wallpaper (you can get some with pretty nice patterns in too) it so much easier to hang on the walls and doesnt rip as easy as the thin stuff does. I recently did quite a lot of wallpapering .. I love it and Shabbs it gets easier so nows the time to do another room in the house ;) !!