Vinyl Unwarping??

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

jjc tribute

Jun 26, 2004
Boothstown
Probably been asked loads of times on here, but does anyone have a tried & tested method of flattening warped records.
I've had the record sandwiched between a pile of heavy books for about 3 weeks now but its not made alot of difference. :S
How long does it take, if it works at all?
Should I move the pile of books near a radiator to try and bend it back?

Any ideas / help appreciated??

Cheers
:thumbsup:

karma fan

Mar 9, 2004
Livin In A Dreamworld!
last summer i heard about the 'myth' that:

"put a record between 2 sheets og glass and clamped the edges (obv not too hard), then leave it out in the sunshine for 10 mins."

tried it........and it worked! not 100% flat, but def took 90% of the warp out of it, i maybe couldve left it a bit longer, but it was a rare Zone tune, so did'nt want to take any chances though, i'd definately reccomend that method.

EDEN

Oct 12, 2006
County Durham
"put a record between 2 sheets of glass and clamp the edges (obv not too hard), then leave it out in the sunshine for 10 mins."

Probably not as silly as it sounds, I heard a similar story about 5 years ago, again between glass but to put it in the oven, I'm assuming as its cooling down or something, I wouldnt recommend 220 degress for 40 mins or owt like that :spin:

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
I'd have a work in a industrial factory have a good look around see what can you find or hire a steam roller :D

There is something you can buy what actually works but i can't remeber what it is called and have no link,you put your record in it and it heats it up takes 2 hours or something then it cools down for more hours then it is straight again maybe someone will find the link for you but it is expensive i'd love one myself!

Ste Davies

Mar 12, 2007
Liverpool
some of these idea's sound interestin, might try them... i've always binned my warped records because i thought der was nothing u could do to repair it :(

DJFANTAZIA

Nov 21, 2001
Warrington
My heart aches when i think about some of the Italian beasts ive binned cos there warped!!

Ive tried clamping between 2 wooden plated in a vice (put cotton sheets around the vinyl)

It never really made loads off difference, i think you deffo need to do something that employs heat.

:thumbsup:

Barrie Jay

Jul 20, 2003
Fleetwood - twinned with Royston Vasey
The key is heat.

I put a rather special to me test pressing which was very badly warped between two very flat sheets of wood, threw an old pc monitor on the top and I left it in my conservatory, which gets mega hot (obviously this is a summer operation).

Not perfect, but playable again.

I think the clamps/ oven thing would work okay if you can get the heat level and the timings right.

I also think part of it is letting it cool down very slow.

dodgymix

The key is heat.

I put a rather special to me test pressing which was very badly warped between two very flat sheets of wood, threw an old pc monitor on the top and I left it in my conservatory, which gets mega hot (obviously this is a summer operation).

Not perfect, but playable again.

I think the clamps/ oven thing would work okay if you can get the heat level and the timings right.

I also think part of it is letting it cool down very slow.

mr SOR sweet sensation was left in the window sill one sunny summer days and that warped..I tried doing it in a snowy day in winter but that did fucvk all to mend it so you must have to fight fire with fire

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I've probably been lucky with warped records as I've probably only had about 3 or 4 ever, but they've been stood upright on shelving about 5ft wide for years and they all seem to have unwarped themselves:cool:

Time and pressure works I guess, but for a quick fix that glass sheets clamped in the sunshine sound like a good idea:thumbsup: :D