vinyl Cleaning machines

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now
May 18, 2006
Bradford
www.waxdj.com
For £2000 i think it should be:eek: , probably only just make that after selling the vinyl so it would not be worth it in the long run really , but thanks for your reply anyway, can't afford nowhere near that amount :(:confused: looks like il have to settle for the diy method fairy and mr sheen it is then :|

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Loricraft is the daddy:thumbsup:

And Ive got one.;)......PRC3mkII

I put alot of time into lookign into rcm's before buying one.

Moth, Oki etc, they clean the record fairly well however they loose alot of suction due to spreading the suction across the width of the record at once. They need frequent brush changes and the results are just ok. They are cheaper to buy but expensive to run.

Loricraft and Keith Monk (which is the real daddy of RCM's however start at circa £5,000.00). They opperate with a tone arm like head with the vacume only working through a small nozzle. Both also work with a thread being the only thing between the head and the record...approx 0.1mm.

The key to a good clean is the fluids, brushes and vacume. I use strong 1 pt pure ISO to 2 pt lab distilled water followed by vac then wash with L'Art Du Son and vac. Each of the 2 washes are with different very fine brushes (almost like velvet).

Im serious when I say, I can buy shitty dirty records and make them near perfect again. Unfortunately physical damage is perminant.

Please do not use polish and get the ISO and Distilled water if nothing else. Also you can use a Henry Vac to clean if needed with velvet over the end nozzle....seen it done as does make an improvement.

Go on, get a Loricraft you wont regret it just might be a bit overdrawn for a while:S

S

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I've been looking at them a lot recently and even thought about building one Moth RCM MKII Kit « Vinyl Records and HiFi (although it does require time and a bit of effort), but then the decider for me was where i'd put it and the loudness of the vacuum (90db+)

I settled instead for cleaning using a cleaning fluid and cloth
Carbon fibre Antistatic brush
Velvet brush
Nagaoka Rolling 152 Record Cleaner Roller Nagaoka Nagaoka 152 Record Cleaning Roller - NAG/RC152

I know the best results are with a record cleaning machine, but those above for me are easier to live with unless I could justify spending a fortune for a quiet machine.

dockildare

Jan 14, 2011
I have a Moth RCM MKII and find it does the job very well. Don't know where this thing about lack of suction comes from but I find the suction on my machine fine. I test it regularly by attempting to remove the record whilst running the vacuum and it takes some doing to pull it off. I've adapted mine by using a sound deadening material in the construction and adding additional velveteen material to the vacuum tube. I've also made two different types of vacuum tube - one for 12" and one for 7". I find this easier to use and more efficient.

I went for the DIY kit and it has been very good. The first vacuum motor failed, but I think that was my fault with installation - but even so, the manufacturer replaced it free of charge and supplied several velveteen strips FOC too.

The sound deadening reduces the noise level somewhat, but it is still noisy - after all it is a glorified vacuum cleaner - what do you expect?