urgent car alarm advise!!!!

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

dods

Oct 13, 2004
Huddersfieldcestershirey
sorry mods but this too urgent to put in help section.
Right car alarm experts. I have an old Golf (mark 2) with the original alarm/immoboliser which is obviously now defunct. It is a key fob with two buttons on (the one on the left unlocks and locks not sure what the right one does if owt :confused: ) Anyway that's not the problem.
The problem is it has been playing up in terms of opening and locking the car so i cahnged the battery in the fob tonight. The only trouble is i think i must have caught some of the circuits inside when i wedged it open with screwdriver cos it aint working anymore - light aint coming on when i press the button or owt.
I have a spare fob that has never woprked so i put the battery in that and now the light works on it but i have just been to car to try and unlock it but it aint doing owt. I could get into the car with the key, but once in i need to press button to deactivate immoboliser so noy much point as i can't start it.
Does anyone know do i have to make this fob recognised by the alarm in some way by putting it in the door lock/ignition and pressing the button a few times or summat to make it register with the car alarm unit.
Any help greatly appreciated as otherwise i don't know how i am gonna get to work in the morning!!!
cheers in advance to anyone:thumbsup:

What make is the alarm? It's unlikely to be a factory one due to the age of the car (mk2 Golf can't be newer than '92) so it's probably aftermarket (Toad, Clifford etc). Some older alarms come with a small key, so you can turn it completely off - box usually under bonnet. My Dad's '94 Beemer has a Laserline one that does that. Without knowing what's fitted, it's hard to give any definitive advice on how to fix it...

If not - look in your service history and see if there are any docs referring to the alarm. If you change the battery and leave the fob without a power source for too long, the fob can become 'de-tuned' from the car. There may be instructions on how to reprogramme it. Do a Google search for the make of the alarm maybe?

Failing all that - are you in the AA/RAC? AA have always been really handy with these things for me at least. I'm in motor trade so stuff like this happens all the time to me! I have a great Auto Electrician I use now though - mobile, comes to me and fixes the stuff I can't. If you know of one local to you, he will sort it out in no time.

dods

Oct 13, 2004
Huddersfieldcestershirey
cheers for advice fella :thumbsup: whoops i am shit with cars it is a '95 golf so is it mark III then.....:$ been scouting through my docs can't find owt about make and all that - in manual/handbook thing it just tells you about the central locking mechanism...
cheers again mate will print this page off ready for the morning when i go for it!!!:thumbsup:

cheers for advice fella :thumbsup: whoops i am shit with cars it is a '95 golf so is it mark III then.....:$ been scouting through my docs can't find owt about make and all that - in manual/handbook thing it just tells you about the central locking mechanism...
cheers again mate will print this page off ready for the morning when i go for it!!!:thumbsup:

Hi,

Hope it works! Your car is a Mk3, so it's possible it has factory alarm - particularly if it's a quick one (GTi etc). If it were me I'd try the trick now rather than in the morning, and call the AA if it doesn't work!! Last thing you want is to be buggering about with cars when you're trying to get ready for work. Most alarms have ways of by-passing them, but for obvious reasons these ways are not made public. My Auto Electrician friend knows them all, but as he makes loads of money doing it he doesn't tell you how it's done...

Good luck anyway :thumbsup:

MizzDeedz

May 6, 2006
also you can book jobs with the RAC and AA - so if the advice you have gotten so far does not work you can either call them out now or ring and book for them to come in the morning.
I used to work for the RAC and they have ways and means of getting into cars and getting them started lol:D