Tunes an acetate pressing before promo vinyl ??

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Rich-M

Mar 7, 2013
Camblesforth
Hi all

Been rooting through my records and found DJ H stephy "think about" on acetate i once heard they came out on acetate before test pressings or promo's and can only be played a limited number of times before they wore out is this true ???

Cheers
Rich

hi rich, ive got a big example of this a little bit of breakbeat jungle darkness history, this acetate was played by ratty and only he had a copy of given to him by pascal players, face recs, dont have to think twice to know how big this man was to the scene, story is we have been tryin track this record down for yrs through forums et, untill ratty finally gave away the secret, daves not an internet man at all, jamie tango ripped a copy, which was blogged, now we pressed and pressed tryin to get a re release long story short, got hold of pascal who let the sample secret out and how it was made, and a remake came about courtesy of Renegade Genius who has done the VIP mixes for tango, so here is the final edits in all there glory and the orig acetate rip,

Here is my gift to the group in the way of thanks - this is rattys rarest cut 4 mins in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K257rdLrsng

the darkness king dropping the acetate on

Dubplate - I Don't Understand (Produced By DJ Pascal)

i give to you the original rip from tango i believe

Zippyshare.com - DJ Pascal - I Dont Understand (Unreleased Dubplate).mp3

the remake - 2012 unreleased - editors cuts

Zippyshare.com - Pascal - I Don't Understand (2012 Re-Edit V1).mp3
Zippyshare.com - Pascal - I Don't Understand (RGs 2012 Re-Tweak).mp3

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
Yes , they will wear out through stylus abuse...also they're brittle...but I have got a few acetates/dub plates and at least one looks like it's been machine gunned or walked on with high heels... so they're also durable...got a metal skeleton...it's quite normal to have a few dub plates knocking about tho, it would only be 1 ix that made it through to the final cut..for whatever reasons...the other takes don't get picked.
As far as wearing out...actually, I have caned mine over the years...and if you think of old shellace discs..78's, they don't wear out do they..so maybe thats just hype???

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
A big regret I had years ago, the chance to buy most of the XL pre 1993 catalogue and unrealised acetates from a guy in Canterbury. I could not justify the £5 each!!

Warning, yes fragile, wear out very quickly and importantly be very careful if you clean them.

S

Presuming Ed

I've got one 10" acetate of a track me and a mate did back in 1999. I reckon you start to notice deterioration in sound quality with them after about 10 plays. I'm surprised they are popular with anyone other than die hard collectors as any you would pick up would almost certainly be well played beyond what would still offer decent playback quality. Ed