The very first 303/808 track

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Presuming Ed

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Thanks for posting ed, was going to invest in this a couple of years back, would love the original pressing though....no chance!

CTI Dancing Ghosts I think was the first acid sound released in 1984, again copy escapes me at the moment. Shannon Let Tha Music Play also used TB303 and was 83 release. Also have a listen to Orange Juice, Rip It Up...tell me that's not 303 acid in 1983.

Some argue there are earlier but be pushing as TB303 was released 1982.

S

Presuming Ed

I was sceptical about the claims regarding this record until I listened and I have to say that the way the 303 is programmed on this track (although well preceding acid house, as it obviously didn't exist as a genre), is in a way that is comparable with the acid house style. So ultimately, the 303 programming (ie in a more mechanical futuristic way as opposed to a straight forward bassline accompaniment), is the key to marking the importance of this track, chronologically in the use of the 303. Ed

Presuming Ed

I read about Orange Juice and the others on Wikipedia, although the use on rip it up is what I would call a more standard bassline accompaniment (even if the filter is slightly more open). Charanjit Singh's album being from 1982 still predates any other use of the 303 in the acid house style/programming context that I've ever come across. I see he's also been touring in Europe over the last few years, so it's good to see his input in modern electronic music is appreciated and recognised. Ed

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
£300 I may have been tempted. I wonder if he sold it, buyer found it was damaged and returned. To be honest we found some old 60's chart records when in India, no interest to me but very poor condition. India has a small issue of being the dustier country I have every visited and having very high humidity issues. Covers are meant to be a luxury as they simply rot.

Just treated myself with this yesterday...http://http://www.discogs.com/Night-Moves-Transdance/release/371547 £100 and a mint unplayed copy! (So I'm told)

S

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
This is the first time i've heard of this record, so being quite intrigued and looking up his work on Oggs, I followed a link from there and found this Charanjit Singh on how he invented acid house ... by mistake | Music | theguardian.com

He seems like quite a modest man, with no real interest or sense of connection to acid house, but it does sound like the prototype that acid house was built on, or a spin off from the genre.

It reminds me of the 'who invented the first lightbulb?' scenarios