The Complete Collection part 3 (1995) Tony De Vit, Jon Pleased, Al Mackenzie, Boy George (Progress)

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Mr Phista

Apr 19, 2006
Bloody hell Johnny, i've tried to forget about this ID as i have it somewhere i can not think at all, now it's back on the brain lol

henryvilla

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2010
The disco track on 21:00 on side 2 of the Al Mackenzie mix heavily samples 'Azymuth - Jazz Carnival' (1979). It's belter. I have the original 12".

I looked into who sampled it, and this came up, from 1995 (the year of the mix)

But it has a different vocal sample... two versions...

Reactions: chinatownswhite

Mr Phista

Apr 19, 2006
Lol I've had the same a few times, I've even brought stuff I already have :rolleyes: the last one being Gold Coast - Cherry
lol, at least you had the name :) I'm pretty certain that tune you're on about with that disco sample in it is a release on a green vinyl with a plain white label, i could be completely wrong but that's what's in my head for some reason.

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
lol, at least you had the name :) I'm pretty certain that tune you're on about with that disco sample in it is a release on a green vinyl with a plain white label, i could be completely wrong but that's what's in my head for some reason.
Thats the thing I, couldnt remember the name, found it when browsing cogs and ordered it lol, only to find my other copy about three months later lol

Stanton

VIP Silver Member
Feb 20, 2013
Doncaster
Just a thought here guys. What it actually says on the packs is that the sets were recorded at Progress Promotions events, that does not necessarily mean they were recorded at Progress in Derby. The reason I'm chipping in with this is that yesterday I was trying to contribute something to the site by removing from a wall several flyers that have been there for 25+ years and scanning them up for OSA. I noticed that on one of the Ripe flyers that Up Yer Ronson had done a gig at Ripe in Mansfield. Now, that could be interpreted by the unwary on a mixtape as that the set had been recorded at Up Yer Ronson in Leeds and that would be wrong. What I'm saying is, the sets on your tapes which are listed as being at Ripe could very well be a gig by Progress visiting at Ripe in Mansfield, not a gig at Progress in Derby, as it seems from my flyer that by this period they were hosting nights by other name clubs.

Another thing, if you put in NG18 1LT which is on your packs into a postcode finder its in.............. Mansfield.

Attachments

• Ripe_Mansfield_Mid 90s_0028.jpg
    Ripe_Mansfield_Mid 90s_0028.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 91

brady

VIP Silver Member
Oct 26, 2001
Scottish Borders
www.tracklistings.co.uk
I dont think theres any link between Progress & Ripe they are run by different people

yes the packs say Progress promotions events which were Progress (Derby) & Hot To Trot (Mansfield), also some of the new/unknown sets above have Russell Davison introducing them as he done on most of the Progress/Hot To Trot sets

Reactions: Stanton

henryvilla

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2010
I dont think theres any link between Progress & Ripe they are run by different people
I think there is Scott. Not Pete & Russell, but there is definitely a link, possibly the promotion team.

brady

VIP Silver Member
Oct 26, 2001
Scottish Borders
www.tracklistings.co.uk
did you watch the video I upped? Russell gives the full story of Progress from start to finish & theres no mention of Ripe!!

looking at the Ripe launch flyer it says its the parent club of Renaissance

1993-06-04 Ripe opening night.jpg

I did notice one of the Ripe tape packs is distributed by MAYHEM Distribution in Notts but thats about as far as any connection goes between the tape packs https://www.discogs.com/Smokin-Jo-D...e-Vit-Ripe-3/release/15520488#images/47280302

Last edited:

k00lworld

VIP Silver Member
Parent club is an odd statement. I would have said they were more like siblings both born out of Venue 44 in Mansfield.

The more evidence that emerges it seems like the Juicy brand was stuffed full of mix tapes from east midlands clubs who may have shared connections somewhere.

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
did you watch the video I upped? Russell gives the full story of Progress from start to finish & theres no mention of Ripe!!

looking at the Ripe launch flyer it says its the parent club of Renaissance

View attachment 37503

I did notice one of the Ripe tape packs is distributed by MAYHEM Distribution in Notts but thats about as far as any connection goes between the tape packs https://www.discogs.com/Smokin-Jo-D...e-Vit-Ripe-3/release/15520488#images/47280302
I think MAYHEM Distribution was just a place that maybe recorded the sets in bulk poss the printing also...
This does sound like a mate of a mate thing , but my mate used to go skool with a lad who used to get all the tapes before they were even out out, his mum worked at a place were they did mass recordings and also put the print onto the tapes which was in notts, we had all the dreamscape sets before they were on sale and many others... makes me wonder if it was the same place...
There is also a fella on my youtube channel who says his mate used to do all the progress recordings...so im gonna get intouch with him some how

Reactions: Stanton

henryvilla

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2010
I did notice one of the Ripe tape packs is distributed by MAYHEM Distribution in Notts but thats about as far as any connection goes between the tape packs
That must be the link then I guess

Stanton

VIP Silver Member
Feb 20, 2013
Doncaster
Well if nothing else the collective knowledge of people on here on this subject is being put down on here and preserved. What OSA is all about IMO. Finding it interesting fellas.