The Bootleggers LOL

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

VinylAnimal

Jul 18, 2001
West Yorkshire
What the fuk do these guys use to make em :D lol by the sound of some of em theyve come off an audio tape, recorded over summat else and on a walkman :crazy:

Surely it must be the equipment rather than the sample :confused: Even a first time Cool Edit user can figure out shit like normalise, click fix, etc :|

If not, and it is the sample thats the problem, then why dont they get someone to do em a decent rip :axe:

Dj Britalian

Nov 19, 2001
On the edge
lol,

i remember buying knights of the turntable vol.1, back in the days when i never knew what an italian import was:axe:

it sounded like they were stood next to manchester airport when they recorded it to tape/cd or whatever it was,

if you are gonna try & make money at least put some effort in i say:crazy:

funny thing is though, they are probably minted by now:|

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
I always thought they must be getting it totally wrong, I have some dreadful sounding bootlegs (really muffled, recorded in mono etc etc)

Last week though I found out there's a part of the mastering process which totally alters the frequencies of the audio - apparently the mastering engineer applies something called an RIAA curve to the audio which changes the levels of bass and treble quite drastically, looks like the mastering bit is quite complicated which is possibly why so many of the bootlegs end up sounding poor.

Georgefeel

Jul 14, 2003
Preston
Never really bought bootlegs but have heard a few in my time.

Nowadays there is simply no excuse for a poor quality pressing. There's so many plugs etc that can clean things up.

My current fave is the multi band compressor in Wavelab 4. Load your old recording in choose that effect & then the FM Radio Preset. Bit of tweaking and seems to make everything sound wonderful...

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
Besides a bad/unskilled pressing/sound engineer, I always thought it was the quality of the actual vinyl and cutting tool in the vinyl lathe (for example if its blunted after a day of pressing legit stuff, the main guys gone home and the trainee techy is doing after hour business and doesnt know how to sharpen it or sommet lol)

I thought I heard somewhere that some places grind the grooves off existing records and re-cut the tune in, this destroys the natural material properties under the crisp pressed virgin slab - so I believe. Bang on some back to front T' PAU or Jason Donovan labels and jobs a good n. lol.

Strangely, my Knights Vol1 is a pretty good pressing.......
Theres a Bruce Hornsby one I got and thats like youve got cloth between the record and needle, lol.

Sirius.

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
sirius said:
I thought I heard somewhere that some places grind the grooves off existing records and re-cut the tune in, this destroys the natural material properties under the crisp pressed virgin slab - so I believe. Bang on some back to front T' PAU or Jason Donovan labels and jobs a good n. lol.

Wasn't that why most of the old trax releases sounded so bloody awful, cos they were pressed on recycled vinyl... :|