tax codes on company cars.....

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
i need to try and figure out the other half's tax codes and its going right over my fekkin head:$

he has a company van which he doesnt use for personal use (well sometimes) and after 6 months of being at the firm he works for his tax code has changed coz he has a company vehicle.

he has the van because of the line of work he is in, he is on call etc, but for some reason he has been hammered this month for tax..........£700:eek: and thats just tax:naughty:

can somebody explain it to me in thick cnuts terms please:thumbsup: coz at the moment hes grafting like mad and feeling no benefit!

on the plus side he has just found out from the tax office that he can claim back for tools hes bought for his job that the company does not provide, up to £250 a year :thumbsup:

wildcat_j

Jun 4, 2006
most people that have a compay vehical start with a negative tax code... ie, you owe money before you start..... even though the vechical is "job requirement" and you claim its not used for private use.... the government still bum you for it as a taxable perk! shit eh......

its better if you can get a vehical allowance per month.... you dont pay as much tax that way....

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
i get a fully expensed car and pay no where near that amount of tax..

My guess would be that the 700 quid is backdated tax that he owed for the past 6 months, and it will revert to normal next month.. they take any tax owed in one lump sum usually (the cunts)

i was kinda thinking that woody coz the ammount hes been fleeced of on this months wages is ridiculous!

hes got an appointment to talk to their accountant so that he can explain what the crack is!

from some of the research ive done he can challenge the tax man aslong as he can prove that the vehicle is not used for private use........the dont class ie pickibng the kids up from school on the way home or dropping shizz off at the tip etc or dentist appointments etc as personal use.....is it worth challenging them??

what they class as personal use going on holiday for a week and using the van for own use but as long as he can prove he puts his own fuel in then hes ok:thumbsup:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
If he's self employed then he should get a tax accountant to sort it out and he'll get him a very nice sum back at the end of the year;)

Last I heard from mine is that you can recoup most of the costs for purchasing a van back and only really lose out some of the resale fee back to the taxman once you sell it on. I was thinking about buying a new pick up truck at one point because they're also classed as vans, but are a lot more like a car. That's the reason why there's so many smart pick ups on the road these days;)