Swearing (in front of children) your view please

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Doddy

VIP Gold Member
Sep 13, 2007
Manchester
Ok so here's my issue , I was in a lift today in town with my 1 year old son and my mate rung , I swore on the phone and a lady in the lift looked at me as if I was a piece of shit and it got me thinking. Do you think it's ok to swear around children ? I know kids take alot in but doesn't every1 swear eventually & is a way of life ? Or do I see things this way because I'm council estate etc Obviously I wouldn't want my son to go school and say fuck off to his teacher (that would be unacceptable) but if my son dropped his bottle on his foot and said "oh shit" I don't know if I would laugh or be shocked . Would it be wrong of me to Laugh ? I don't know any1 that doesn't swear ( and no monty that's not because I'm a chav) my parents always swore and I've not grown up to tell people fuck off for no reason. I remember goin to a man utd game and there was alot of kids there , half the crowd were shouting fuck off shearer fuck off shearer , do you think the kids went home shouting that at home & school ? Don't get me wrong I will bring my son up to how I see fit - respectful to others , knowing not to take what's not his etc , I just wondered if any1 had any opinions .

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Im mindful to try not to use fowl language in front of children but lets face it it slips out......i think as long u bring them up to be respectful of others youll not go far wrong. :thumbsup:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Whats the first thing your kids going to learn at school....how to swear from the other little shites. It very easy for other people to judge how you bring up your kids but what business is it of theirs.

S

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
i swear like a trooper no matter what company i keep
Fuck 'Em

And Doddy, my parents NEVER swore EVER, even though my Dad was an RSM, MP, DS and PTI at various points in his military career.. My house was full of visiting Old School NCO's all the time when i was growing rough as badgers arses and hard as nails.. Never a bad word said in front of us by any of 'em, So it didnt come from there

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I personally try not to swear in front of kids and people that might take offence, such as the elderly. It's not big and it's not clever swearing in front of either of those groups, although I have heard some of the elderly swear and in that case it's fine I guess.

I don't swear in front of my mum, my nephews and nieces and i'd appreciate it if people i'm with try not to, but as already said it can slip out accidentally and in that case it's understandable:thumbsup:

elvisontour

Jan 9, 2004
IN A HOUSE
Well

As a kid I couldnt even say Bloody in front of my mum so I new swearing was a thing that didnt happen in my house my nan and grandad did a fair bit of swearing but that was just the way they where, my mum disliked people who swore especially kids I couldnt really understand why until I heard a bunch of kids on the bus from school swearing there heads off in front of my mum and it was the very uncomfortable as I new she didnt like it but she said nothing until we got off the bus and she said I hope you dont do that when im not around I new then why she didnt like it as if you dont do it it can make you feel very uncomfortable when others do. I think that people are always going to swear and kids are going to hear it no matter what happens but I do believe if you bring your own kids up properly then swearing is not a thing to worry about.
They will know it is not right if you teach them that and just like drinking smoking drugs and all the rest of things life throws at you growing up the kids will always make there own choices in the end to do it or not. You can only guide them in the end kids will always do what they want in there own time i.e with friends or on there own. As we all did when we where younger we all know people who do and dont swear and if your brought up with people who swear does not mean your going to be the same as my mum never did and my nan and grandad where troopers at it lol.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As for me I dont do alot of swearing only when im fooking pissed off..

leaky

Apr 11, 2006
I try not too, but it slips out, :$ my son is 6 and he picks me up on it if i do, he also says his piece if he hears it on a tune i have playing too. my other 2 are girls 12 and 15 and to be fair i still try not to, but say if im telling them a joke that involves swearing it gets told as it is, kids know all the swear words you just have to make sure they dont think its ok or big to use them, its quality seeing thier faces when i quizz them about things on thier facebook such as fu, and wtf, and my eldest went purple recently when i asked her about the page "feeling like a smug **** because your the first to spot Blackpool tower" which she posted she liked. as for my mum she never swore in front of me when i was younger, she does now and i also do with her, which i think is great as we are now on a level like friends which is brilliant, she has even come out on the lash before and been to a couple of festivals with us and had a good laugh, i hope my kids can do the same with me when they grow up :cool:

DC Mills

Apr 8, 2007
My dad swore like f00k when I was wee & my grandparents were not averse to foul language either. I try not to swear in the company of children, but I don't really know any, so that's a bonus, coz as a general rule I have a proper foul mouth. My parents and I tend not to use swearing in an always derogatory way tho. My dad would play a fave record of his & turn round & say "That's f**cking amazing, isn't it?" or "Right, that joint's f**cked me, I'm off to bed!"

LOL

Doddy

VIP Gold Member
Sep 13, 2007
Manchester
I supose like said kids will always here it from somewhere and then would be spoke around friends . I think ill try & keep it toned down while kids are around even tho im not 100 % sure i need to . Just dont want to look a **** if nursery rings up saying my son is calling everyone tossers lol . Makes me look bad altho i do agree that i shouldnt take note in what others think aslong as im happy with the way im bringing him up . Maybe i should have taken u31s aproach and said to the lady in the lift "What the fuck are you looking at" lol . Tbh tho when i see youths on the bus swearing i do think to myself "the lilltle pricks". I dont know if i think that because they are young or because its in public

nupski

Nov 2, 2007
Sheffield
i always try not to swear in front of kids cos it makes me feel guilty, but tbh i don't know why. there's worse things in life than swearing, i'm not a parent myself but imho if u can bring em up to know right from wrong and to have respect for others then u ent doing much wrong.

i guess it's natural to try to protect ur kids as far as u can, but as already said they are bound to run into things like swearing and drugs no matter how careful u are. my parents never swore in front of me either but still my language is as bad as anyone's, as someone else has already said, ultimately we make our own choices in life.

i also agree with leaky, i like the fact that i have now reached a stage in my life where i feel comfortable swearing in front of my parents to a certain extent, altho not as much as i would if i was out ont lash with my mates obviously. lol emz ur parents sound ace, i have smoked a few bifters in front of mine, but i never managed to pursuade em to have any, they just looked at me with a strange, disappointed look on their faces lol :$

clearly there are situations where it wouldn't be appropriate to swear, i tried not to when i met jim's mum for instance, altho the odd 1 or 2 did slip out lol :$ i also swear far too much at work, thought about trying not to, it's a bit unprofessional but i think most ppl there are used to the way i talk now so fuck it lol ;)

arron i really don't think u need to be concerned m8, don't know how old ur kids are but they will deffo learn to swear very quickly as soon as they get to school whether u try to protect them from it or not, so i wouldn't worry about it m8. we all turned out ok and most of us swear our asses off lol ;) :thumbsup:

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
Arron, if your giving someone a serious talking to, its often best to use measured words and refrain from bad language...
Im thinking of the time it nearly kicked off inside the Dominoes Pizza after Woodys birthday at IMH Scubar night.
Some drunk student abusing the pizza staff for no good reason and my mate Beaver asked it him to turn it down, it wasn't their fault.. it escalated in to a slanging match and was obviously going to go further, slave tony had just got out of prison, Jiglo was looking at me thinking the same thing as i was, if this goes off, Tony is back inside.
We did not want him involved in a fight, we was in the middle of student-Ville where we would have been surrounded by this boys mates, in a fight we couldnt win

The only option was to stand in front of this boy and almost whisper to him the facts of life, no threats, no swearing. It was amazing how fast he backed down and sobered up

We still got back to the car in double quick time when we got our order though :crazy: