Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Anybody else going out tomorrow?

Ill not be crossing any picket lines tomorrow - hands off our pensions and sort the fuckin country out! :mad:

Ridiculous isnt the word how thick do they think we are...they put us on a 3 yr pay frezze which ends this year and the minute that ends they decide to make us pay more for our pensions... take about giving with one hand and taking with the other.... :mad:

This country is all to happy to pay towards the wrong people - makes my blood boil....we have worked all our lives and the minute we hit a tough time we cant get fek all...yet i see others raking it in, driving round in BMWs and living like kings....our state is struggling, these people are lapping up what us hard working folk are spilling out in ridiculous tax rises, fuel rises and pretty much everything :mad:

Rant over!!! ALL OUT!!!!

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
While I sympathise and agree on the whole Debs, I think the problem is where that money's going to come from to pay for it all:S

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I might well have got this wrong anyway, I don't know how it works in the public sector, but if you've paid for it then you're entitled to it:thumbsup:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
A bit of balance

hands off our pensions and sort the fuckin country out!

1, Your gold plated pensions are being guaranteed by people like me in the private sector who look at your retirement plans with envy. I simply can not buy a pension scheme that even holds a candle to a public sector pension....fair....I dont think so!! I had my final salary pension scheme frozen about 3 years ago with 1 months notice....thats it no strikes just lump it or fu(k off elsewhere.

2, It hurts now but just you wait for a couple of years when the cuts realy bite!! The generation above us lived on credit and now we have to pay for it, thanks a f'kin lot. You think were fu(ked, America is on its knees (they are thinking of cutting their postal service as they cant afford to keep it!!) and Europe is now a massive burden on us!!

Seriously try working in the private sector, 50-60 hour weeks every week now, no pension or poor deal, pay freeze for most for last 3 years (I was lucky to get 1%), cut in all benefits/expenses etc etc etc. Most people are keeping their heads down just happy to be working, dont get me wrong im well paid and I see what the public services are going through as my wife works for the NHS and is being overworked and underpaid.....just the way it is.

Not a rant....just resigned to being overworked and just giving the private sector point of view.

S

Barrie Jay

Jul 20, 2003
Fleetwood - twinned with Royston Vasey
Most public sector pension Schemes were reviewed in 2005/ 2006 and, in agreement with the trades unions, most have changed their normal retirement age to 65 for new entrants whilst those existing members retain their right to take their pension from age 60 should they wish to do so and subject to certain conditions. Many have also moved to career average earnings instead of final salary.

The average pay out for a public sector pension scheme is broadly comparable to a private sector scheme and there is no truth in the myth that public sector pensions are `gold plated`. Even Lord Hutton in his review of public sector pensions (on which the government is basing a lot of the proposed reforms) says the cost of public sector pensions is sustainable and will likely decrease in the medium to long term – this was before the chancellor decided to change the method of index linking from RPI to CPI (without any negotiations) thereby further reducing the overall cost – and wiping 20% of the value of a public sector pension at a stroke.

Just because a lot of the pensions in the private sector are screwed (a considerable amount of which is due to pensions fund mismanagement partly further due to pensions de-regulation by the government regarding the ability to take pension fund holidays and such) this is no justification for trying to further reduce the value of a public sector pension because it is better than what is on offer, generally, in the private sector. This should be a clear case for ensuring better pension provision for the private sector so that we are ALL not up shit`s financial creek when we do retire.

The only reason the government is now in `negotiations` is because of the strike action otherwise they would have just implemented the proposed changes to make all public sector workers pay more, work longer and get less (on top of a two year pay freeze).

NOT ONE SINGLE PENNY OF THE MONEY THE GOVERNMENT WILL SAVE WILL GO TOWARDS THE COST OF PENSION PROVISION BUT IS BEING USED TO PAY HELP PAY OFF THE FINANCIAL DEFICIT CAUSED BY GREEDY AND WILFUL BANKERS AND NOT THE FAULT OF PUBLIC SECTOR WORKERS WHO ARE BEING TREATED UNFAIRLY.

We are all being shafted except those that can most afford it or who are responsible for this dire mess we are in. Some it seems are being shafted far more than others despite the government`s pathetic claim (when it suits them, of course) that `we are all in this together`.

There comes a point when people have to take a stand and that, for around an estimated 2 million people, is tomorrow.

Last edited:

BOD

Staff member
VIP Silver Member
Sep 4, 2007
over there
Well Im going to take full advantage of my unpaid day off tomorrow by having my first drink in 9 days tonight :D

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
9 days? :eek: :eek:

I didn't know somebody had invented alcohol patches to help wean people off it :p

I think we should all go on strike until the country taxes everybody fairly and forces the banking institutions to repay the money that was taken from us, without us having any say.

Aug 10, 2005
Blackburn
Most public sector pension Schemes were reviewed in 2005/ 2006 and, in agreement with the trades unions, most have changed their normal retirement age to 65 for new entrants whilst those existing members retain their right to take their pension from age 60 should they wish to do so and subject to certain conditions. Many have also moved to career average earnings instead of final salary.

The average pay out for a public sector pension scheme is broadly comparable to a private sector scheme and there is no truth in the myth that public sector pensions are `gold plated`. Even Lord Hutton in his review of public sector pensions (on which the government is basing a lot of the proposed reforms) says the cost of public sector pensions is sustainable and will likely decrease in the medium to long term – this was before the chancellor decided to change the method of index linking from RPI to CPI (without any negotiations) thereby further reducing the overall cost – and wiping 20% of the value of a public sector pension at a stroke.

Just because a lot of the pensions in the private sector are screwed (a considerable amount of which is due to pensions fund mismanagement partly further due to pensions de-regulation by the government regarding the ability to take pension fund holidays and such) this is no justification for trying to further reduce the value of a public sector pension because it is better than what is on offer, generally, in the private sector. This should be a clear case for ensuring better pension provision for the private sector so that we are ALL not up shit`s financial creek when we do retire.

The only reason the government is now in `negotiations` is because of the strike action otherwise they would have just implemented the proposed changes to make all public sector workers pay more, work longer and get less (on top of a two year pay freeze).

NOT ONE SINGLE PENNY OF THE MONEY THE GOVERNMENT WILL SAVE WILL GO TOWARDS THE COST OF PENSION PROVISION BUT IS BEING USED TO PAY HELP PAY OFF THE FINANCIAL DEFICIT CAUSED BY GREEDY AND WILFUL BANKERS AND NOT THE FAULT OF PUBLIC SECTOR WORKERS WHO ARE BEING TREATED UNFAIRLY.

We are all being shafted except those that can most afford it or who are responsible for this dire mess we are in. Some it seems are being shafted far more than others despite the government`s pathetic claim (when it suits them, of course) that `we are all in this together`.

There comes a point when people have to take a stand and that, for around an estimated 2 million people, is tomorrow.

Barrie for PM :D ;)

Takes the piss, I as a young person have already been shafted on the house prices. If that's not hard enough, I now face the prospect of paying more and working longer for a pension I have already been paying into for over 10 years. :mad:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Not sure we can blame the government for overpriced house though and people are living longer than they did when the pension age was set. A recent study claimed children born today can expect to live to 100.

What's really needed is a repeat of the French Revolution, but here in Britain, to recalibrate the injustices.

anyway, I might lie in a few minutes longer tomorrow as the roads might be clearer:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 6141

Not sure we can blame the government for overpriced house though and people are living longer than they did when the pension age was set. A recent study claimed children born today can expect to live to 100.

What's really needed is a repeat of the French Revolution, but here in Britain, to recalibrate the injustices.

anyway, I might lie in a few minutes longer tomorrow as the roads might be clearer:thumbsup:

the government are doing everything they can to prop up the over inflated house prices, stamp duty cuts and "help" for first time buyers etc.
and that study you mentioned; it says a quarter of kids born today will live to 100. (it was also published in the daily fail so who knows how true it is)
Those who live to 100 'avoid diseases like cancer and are healthier than pensioners years younger' | Mail Online

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Actually, I saw it on the news channels;) I only buy the daily mail on Saturday's for it's ace tv guide:p That study I saw said that children today are expected to live to 100 ;) one thing is for sure though, people are living longer than ever and that means claiming their pensions for longer at the current retirement age.

As for the traffic being better today, it seemed much the same as normal when I set off:|

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
While I sympathise and agree on the whole Debs, I think the problem is where that money's going to come from to pay for it all:S

Where has the money gone though thats the question?

Peoples hard earned money gambled on a stock market and poor investments meaning black holes for people when they retire

Thats theft isnt it?

Why is no one arrested?

Bonanza

Nov 2, 2011
Ellesmere Port
Sorry to say that I dont think the one day strikes will make any difference.

Maybe a proper prolonged mass strike may do something? Dont think most people could or would go for that option and as a disillusioned ex union shop steward, i am almost certain the unions wouldnt go for it. They just want ur money off u every week, they have no real power or interest now.

I still dont understand where all the money has gone. It has to be somewhere, it cant just dissapear off the face of the earth, someone has got it!!!! (not me bye the way!) :confused:

MANC

Apr 1, 2003
Manc
those who caused this global financial mess, the superwealthy rich 1% have been ringfenced and made exempt from any responsibility or cost. No government have the balls to do the right thing. This form of feral, greedy and toxic brand of capitalism needs to be saved and mainly at the huge and devastating cost to the sick and the poor and the vunerable. Sick world we live in:naughty:

DC Mills

Apr 8, 2007
1, Your gold plated pensions are being guaranteed by people like me in the private sector who look at your retirement plans with envy. I simply can not buy a pension scheme that even holds a candle to a public sector pension....fair....I dont think so!! I had my final salary pension scheme frozen about 3 years ago with 1 months notice....thats it no strikes just lump it or fu(k off elsewhere.

2, It hurts now but just you wait for a couple of years when the cuts realy bite!! The generation above us lived on credit and now we have to pay for it, thanks a f'kin lot. You think were fu(ked, America is on its knees (they are thinking of cutting their postal service as they cant afford to keep it!!) and Europe is now a massive burden on us!!

Seriously try working in the private sector, 50-60 hour weeks every week now, no pension or poor deal, pay freeze for most for last 3 years (I was lucky to get 1%), cut in all benefits/expenses etc etc etc. Most people are keeping their heads down just happy to be working, dont get me wrong im well paid and I see what the public services are going through as my wife works for the NHS and is being overworked and underpaid.....just the way it is.

Not a rant....just resigned to being overworked and just giving the private sector point of view.

S

Well said.

MANC

Apr 1, 2003
Manc
I like a good rant!! Especially an agreeable sort spat out with passion!! I wasnt too keen on tram woman but this one is reet up my street....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0SPio6RE-s]#nov30 WHY I AM STRIKING - YouTube[/ame]