Should Mixtapes Be Added To Discogs?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

betty spaghetti

Nov 21, 2006
I dont use Discogs, so this thread has nowt o do with me, but Im gonna stick my size 5s in anyways :)

No

dis·cog·ra·phy [di-skog-ruh-fee]
1. a selective or complete list of phonograph recordings, typically of one composer, performer, or conductor.
2. the analysis, history, or classification of phonograph recordings.
3. the methods of analyzing or classifying phonograph recordings.

The DJ who is on said listed mix tapes is not the composer, conductor or the performer-so therefore shouldnt be on.

:thumbsup:

dodgymix

Ive seen a few old mixtapes added to discogs recently:

Various - 2 Blacks An A Bubble Part One

For example.

Im not sure if I agree, surely discogs should be about genuine artists and their material, not a DJ (although an artist) putting to together what would have been a bootlegged mix (ie none of the artists were paid for the inclusion of their material on the mix):$

Discuss?

If it was officially released with a track listing...yes

This link I would say no as you get the impression that the track listing was never included.

Michie

VIP Silver Member
Jul 5, 2007
Stoke
That was the tape that was sent out when applied to kinetic for membership. Errol from Kinetic says that some were sent out to promoters and the tapes that were left were sent out with memberships. The tape doesnt have a tracklist with it.

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
I think there should be a sister site which covers mixes, live and studio. This could easily be cross referenced against flyers etc. It then gives a great reflection to what was going on and where and even allow sad old gits like me relive some of the nights accurately:| .....it would also allow me to sort out the 2000+ mix tapes i have got!!

s