Scott Bond, Republica at Bakers Mixtapes 96 & 97

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Gray

May 10, 2021
Two tapes from Bakers from 96 and 97. Put them both up on my soundcloud page some while back. Download button enabled. Full tracklists are also on there too. And photo of the tape box.

Warning: the sound quality on the second tape really is shit. And I did some basic clean up mastering on this. The original was pretty knackered. I only put it up there cos Scott asked me too as he doesn't have a copy anymore.

There's a third one in this series which I have somewhere. Need to locate it though. The first mix above is really good.

Reactions: henryvilla

henryvilla

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2010
Two tapes from Bakers from 96 and 97. Put them both up on my soundcloud page some while back. Download button enabled. Full tracklists are also on there too. And photo of the tape box.

Warning: the sound quality on the second tape really is shit. And I did some basic clean up mastering on this. The original was pretty knackered. I only put it up there cos Scott asked me too as he doesn't have a copy anymore.

There's a third one in this series which I have somewhere. Need to locate it though. The first mix above is really good.
Nice one. I used to go to Bakers a fair bit back in the day. Scott Bond is a seriously under rated DJ... outside of Brum. Thanks for these (y)

Reactions: Gray

Gray

May 10, 2021
Nice one. I used to go to Bakers a fair bit back in the day. Scott Bond is a seriously under rated DJ... outside of Brum. Thanks for these (y)
Yeah I loved it there. Went a lot 95-98. There was a lot of good stuff going on in Brum in the mid 90s. 😎

henryvilla

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2010
Yeah I loved it there. Went a lot 95-98. There was a lot of good stuff going on in Brum in the mid 90s. 😎
I think the scene was better in Brum than in London at that time. I was living in London, but used to go to Brum at the weekends to stay with mates in 1993, 94 and 95. Wobble at The Venue, Moneypenny's at Bakers, early Crunch nights at the Attic were my favs, also there was The Institute where there were so many great nights.

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
I think the scene was better in Brum than in London at that time. I was living in London, but used to go to Brum at the weekends to stay with mates in 1993, 94 and 95. Wobble at The Venue, Moneypenny's at Bakers, early Crunch nights at the Attic were my favs, also there was The Institute where there were so many great nights.
Deffo mate, the vibe in Brum bk then was great, Tin Tins was a great night also a lot of my mates wouldnt go in because it was classed has a gay night, there loss, because it was proppa kicking in there....

henryvilla

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2010
Deffo mate, the vibe in Brum bk then was great, Tin Tins was a great night also a lot of my mates wouldnt go in because it was classed has a gay night, there loss, because it was proppa kicking in there....
I don't think that I ever went to Tin Tins. To be honest, most gay clubs back then had the most amazing atmosphere. I know Nude at The Hac was known for being a great night. I think that was Tim Lennox, but Andrew will confirm. Heaven in London was amazing too in the early 90s.

henryvilla

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2010
I almost forgot the Que Club! I went to a few Renaissance nights there, including these

The Second Birthday was on my own birthday. Amazing night...

1621251822170.png

1621251888432.png

1621251623604.png
1621251640122.png

Gray

May 10, 2021
Yes mate! Loved all of those. Wobble, Fun and SLAG, Republica, Crunch. Mark Jarman was / is one of my favourite DJs but we were so spoilt for DJs, music and clubs back then. Agree re the Brum scene being better than London at that time. I was also in London but I moved to Brum when I was 20 (student) and got fully involved. Used to go to club UK and some of the early Clockwork parties at the Cross in London but when I went to Brum it was mad. We were out all the time. Great times. :thumbsup:

Gray

May 10, 2021
This is Jarman Live at Crazy Daisy's. Dunno if any of you ever saw it but used to pitch up "It takes two', cut and scratch the intro and then drop it into Technocat as a live mash up. Saw him do it a couple of times. Used to take the roof off. The aforementioned It takes two / technocrat mash is in this one. Epic. helps that I love those two tunes of course 😂

Reactions: chinatownswhite

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
This is Jarman Live at Crazy Daisy's. Dunno if any of you ever saw it but used to pitch up "It takes two', cut and scratch the intro and then drop it into Technocat as a live mash up. Saw him do it a couple of times. Used to take the roof off. The aforementioned It takes two / technocrat mash is in this one. Epic. helps that I love those two tunes of course 😂

IMO Mark has always been very underrated also Simon Baker

But Yes Yes Crazy Daisy's went there quite often, pure high NRG, yet another venue lost

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
Agree. Tin Tins was class. Only went a couple of times but it was nuts.
Do ya remember those cages hanging from the ceiling, like some sort of tiger cages from a circuso_O one with a fella in and the other with some gal in...
I made some great friends in tin tins and still intouch with them now

Gray

May 10, 2021
Do ya remember those cages hanging from the ceiling, like some sort of tiger cages from a circuso_O one with a fella in and the other with some gal in...
I made some great friends in tin tins and still intouch with them now
I do remember that. I think the first time I went there I thought I was pretty worldly wise but Tin Tins was completely outlandish and blew my mind. Had a great time though.

I do laugh sometimes when I hear youngsters say ‘we went to blah and it was totally mad in there’. I’m thinking to myself: you literally have no idea about what a mad night actually looks like. Bit patronising of me but I can’t help it. 😂

Reactions: chinatownswhite

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
Does anyone remember the black cab, playing house tracks, full of lights and a mega loud pumping sound system, you could hear him coming before you seen him..
The first time we used it, we was like WTF........................................o_O

speakerfreak

Jul 25, 2007
Birmingham
IMO Mark has always been very underrated also Simon Baker

But Yes Yes Crazy Daisy's went there quite often, pure high NRG, yet another venue lost
Tin Tins was my favourite place. Then early Sundissential after it was closed down. Loved Crunch, S.L.A.G and Godskitchen was belting when it first started in Birmingham. Simon Baker uploaded all his Tin Tins mixtapes to Soundcloud some time ago.