Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Harri74

May 29, 2007
Midlands
www.myspace.com
Warning *obscene work rant*

Ok, just had my irate boss on the phone. Im employed as Night Manager at a local hotel which means i look after the place on my own, through the night. As you can imagine this is a tough shift to cover.

After a rough night on Monday I called the hotel tuesday afternoon to tell them i wouldnt be in tonight due to sever sore throat and aches and pains etc. My boss asked me to call her Wednesday morning to tell her if id be in that evening. I called at 11:30am and told the receptionist that yes, although i felt terrible, i would drag my ass into work and do my shift.

However, by 2:30pm im feeling awful again so i text my boss to tell her and that i would call her by 4pm to tell her if i would be able to make it. Cue irate boss on the phone complaining about changing rotas etc and telling me i had no morals. I pointed out that it was impossible to assess whether i would be well enough for work 13 hours in advance my shift (she wanted calling at 9am). I also told her i thought i was doing them a favour by agreeing to come in and do my shift regardless of feeling like death. I apologised for texting her but if i dont feel well enough to work I dont want to come to work. I appreciate where shes coming from but she didnt seem to appreciate what i was saying.

What do you think? Is she being unreasonable or am i? Personally i think its a bit of both.

My boss told me on the phone that she would have preferred it if i had called in the morning and told her that i wasnt coming in. Basically its the inconvenience of getting covering staff and rearranging the rota that shes going mad about. Anyway, I took her advice and im not going in tonight.

Any opinions would be much appreciated, ta.

p.s Sorry for the rant.

:ba:

Harri74

May 29, 2007
Midlands
www.myspace.com
Forgot to add she had the audacity to call me cowardly for texting and also told me i lacked morals.... I think its more a case of her having to rearrange the rota again. Im sorry but isnt that what General Managers get paid to do? Unfortunately its one of those companys where the blame is always sifted onto the 'staff' member. Oh well, only 2 more weeks left there. Id like to tell them to shove it but thats not going to solve anything. Any thoughts much appreciated,
:thumbsup:

DC Mills

Apr 8, 2007
As a manager, we are told to always take any report of sickness at face value. If issues arrive at a later date, then they would be addressed. Calling a member of staff "Cowardly & lacking morals" is bang out of order & smacks of lack of self control. In my work, employees are expected to phone themselves, unless they literally CANNOT speak. On another note, any sickness from night staff should be taken seriously in case is is due to the job, and if so this should be addressed.

Just my 10p's worth.

Harri74

May 29, 2007
Midlands
www.myspace.com
Thanks Emma. I agree. I pride myself on my professionalism - obviously something which my boss lacks! Thanks for reading and commenting - it really helped having an opportunity to air my feelings on here. Oddly enough 3 hours later work (not my manager) called back and told me to take the rest of the week off, visit the doctors and get some rest.

DC Mills

Apr 8, 2007
Oh, I spy a guilty concience in work!

& on the 13 hours prior to shift start, our night staff have to phone in by 5pm, not 9am. We'd expect them to be in bed asleep at that time.