retro trax shades of rhythm

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
Great night, Me Mazzoh, Warmy, Bodzilla and MC Bernice set of early to get to the dugout to meet the peeps, and got there to find the place jumpin'
Man of the Dugout goes to Martin, his set was top shelf. Ians set was frankly bobbins, not my cup of tea whatso-ever... horses for courses and all that, not a personal swipe or owt.

Quote of the Dugout goes to Mark Warmy, and Pepe...
Mark: Where is Sarah tonight, Kev?
Pepe: She cant make it, she has a fever....
Mark: Is it a Saturday Night Fever....:mad:

The Academy...
Barrie, totally blew us away with his set. Top Notch.

Freakily, on the trip over, after listening to Bod & Finks Halloween set on the car's system, we blasted out random tuna, the highlight being Peas & Beans..

Mid Barrie's set, Bod comes running over, big grin from ear to ear as Bar-no-why drops the said choona! :king:

Shades of Rhythm, i was never a big fan back in the day, but the energy of the singer gadgey was totally fucking infectious, and its fair to say they raised the roof!
An hour of their own tuna with some skilful DJ-ing, with the singer adding his personal touch, and freaky dancing to boot _magic!

Last set was Steve, and he pulled some gold out of the record bag for his set, and tore up the dancefloor till the end! :cool:

And finally, thanks to Finno Laaaaaaa for the personal guided tour of Huyton, with skilfully delivered dialogue of where to look for all the unmissable landmarks of this most beautiful of Liverpool suburbs... :p ( hope the wee mite gets better soon lee...)

Photies..... Wurther Focsat's Photos - Retro Trax Shades of Rhythm 06/03/10 | Facebook

Oh yeah, Bods patent cold cures.... Bodsip (tademarked) and snorting ground black pepper.....
yahoo.gif

Last edited:

leaky

Apr 11, 2006
what another blinding night in the pool :D :cool:

this was the 1st time my wife jemma has come to an oldskool night and we brought along jonce and steph, (friends of ours) we made it as far as blackburn services before we had to stop to try get some cups so the girls could start on the bubbly :hubba: and it all went tits up from there :D we managed to get lost somewhere round bootle or anfield. we didn't pass aintree for some strange reason but saw a massive banana dog. eventually found our way and got checked into the liner across from the dugout. had a couple more bottles and headed for concert square which took us ages to find even with the sat nav i-phone thingy :crazy: had a few round that area, and had a laugh especially when we found a trendy bar with little booths in, and my m8 decided to pull a funny face in the mirror only to realise there wasnt one there and he was looking at a couple sat in the next booth :fekked: headed back to the room to freshen up ;) and jim turned up and joined the fun :fekked: then headed into the dugout the place seemed buzzing we certainly were. great to meet up with the osa crew, and a massive :thumbsup: thumbs up to barrie j, who brought me his bottle of freakishly expesive brandy that he had mentioned after the last doo :D it made my night, i honestly didn't think you would remember. and in my feckdness i dont remeber if i bought you a drink :confused: if not accept my full appology and make sure you get one out of me next time :$
it was also mad to bump into a lad from down the road who i havn't seen for 20yr, who had come especially to see barrie play phones:
i was trying to be sensible knowing there was an offer on jds n coke at the o2, and stick to those, but it turns out the wife kept tipping up with after shocks, sambucas, and whatever else as chasers. no wonder i felt so rough yesterday.
the o2 itself is all a bit of a blurr, but it must have been ace, as i think i danced most of the night. i remember i wasn't too fussed about shades of rhythm, and what a surprise. they fooking rocked the joint. really got the crowd going, i rember seeing all the peeps rocking on the stage having a ball and thinking it was like beeing back at a hu party :cool: it was excellent the pa the djs but more importantly the up for it crowd. i had told jemma my wife that i wouldn't be sure if she would like it, as she was not a raver back in the day. and her coming upto me saying "its fooking ace im enjoying it more than you" lol. i did feel a bit sorry for her at 1st when she hit the deck at lightning speed on the dancefloor, flat on her back, legs in the air, and didn't spill a drop of the drink she had in each hand, but she got up laughing, good job as she did it twice more before the night was out, and i think jim went over twice too :D i think we lasted till about 3.45, before crashing, well i crashed, jemma jim steph and jonce were still playing eye spy at 6am :crazy:
all in all a top top night surrounded by top peeps in a top city, an absolute blast from start to finish, roll on the next one :thumbsup:
sunday was a sad sad day though :( missed breakfast, went for a wander to try clear the head, jim got shouted at by a deaf bloke for asking him if there was a cafe around :eek: and went the wrong way home :$ and eventually curled up on the sofa under a duvet dying, actually watched dancing on ice ffs, but back in the land of living now, and even braving one of barries special brandys :love: cheers vian for once again putting on a brilliant night. and thanks to all that turned out, i wont name because i have more than likley forgot most peeps i spoke with :$ a great night had by all.

misstickle

Apr 2, 2004
upgraded to Didsbury!
I will never forgive my back for getting old and packing in! I'm sooooooooo gutted I missed Shades of Rhythm.....

Great reviews though.....keep them coming to make me feel like I missed out even more lol...Cheers :p

nupski

Nov 2, 2007
Sheffield
I will never forgive my back for getting old and packing in! I'm sooooooooo gutted I missed Shades of Rhythm.....

Great reviews though.....keep them coming to make me feel like I missed out even more lol...Cheers :p

awwwww mims thought u were going, u were one of the ppl i was looking forward to meeting this time :(

bit of a strange day getting down there tbh, booked a hotel in the morning at the last minute, drove to liverpool, found the place really easily cos it was right next to the liver building lol. booked in to the hotel and the room they gave me was full of someone else's clothes, good job i didn't walk in on em shagging lol

got to the dugout n the tunes were booming, dannster ont dex good to meet ya fella :) not gonna name individual ppl cos it would take too long and i'd be bound to forget someone, but more n more ppl turned up n ian played a top set after dannster too.

got into the venue n barrie was the first on, unbelievable piano set as per usual, then shades of rhythm took the fookin roof off. was a bit fekked :fekked: after that so it was all a bit of a blur but i was grinning from ear to ear all nite n such a friendly atmosphere in there i found myself talkin to all sorts of ppl i never met before lol

stayed till the end, went back to the hotel and got my head down for a few hours, then it all went random lol. got a text from bod n bernie about 9 am, and finished up in blackburn getting wasted with them for the rest of the day, mega after party cheers u 2 :D and a special shout to the tillybobs, hope u had a great birthday party m8 :love:

anyway here's a few more pics n vids for u, thanx to ian n lisa for putting the nite on, and to everyone else for a great nite ppl i had a fookin crackin time :D

John Williams | Facebook

John Williams | Facebook

John Williams | Facebook

Last edited:

alexbennett

Aug 11, 2005
Kidderminster
www.mixcloud.com
mmmmm retro ay it

It was nice to finally put names to faces.
Iam sorry If we didnt stay long but we went out the night before to see Dj Sy smash us up with some old school acid . (Or as Debs says Blackburn Warehouse ) set.
But Bazza Jay and shades of rhythm put on a great show . But after that Iam afraid my old bones and drinkin head gave up.

See you all again proper next time.

:turn: :turn: :turn:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Would have been out a lot sooner if the hotel hadnt made us wait an hour and a half for our tea! grrr!

Good to see you guys esp my old buddy Dave, will be out n about again no doubt.

:thumbsup:

Cheers to everyone for a spendid eveing phones: :thumbsup:

Barrie Jay

Jul 20, 2003
Fleetwood - twinned with Royston Vasey
Well.......another top notch weekend indeed.

Firstly, thank you to Ian and Lisa for putting me on - these nights are so special to me. They have asked me to be resident DJ at Retro Trax - having thought about for at least half a second I agreed. I am chuffed to bits and very grateful for the opportunity and for the vote of confidence.

The up for it crowd make playing a pleasure - knowing I can play tunes that hardly anybody has heard before mixed in with some anthems and know the crowd will appreciate them. I could not believe the reaction to MQ Band `Working Up Your Mind` and I guarantee that no more than a handful of people knew that tune. I was buzzing.

From Dannster kicking it off in fine style in the Dug Out to being thrown out I enjoyed it all - and a special thanks to many of my friends that had travelled a very long way - think we will be seeing you all again from your reactions to the night.

Shades of Rhythm were absolute quality - with live vocals and keyboard playing and a DJ set too. I would say they are the best old school PA I have seen - and such nice people too.

Anyway, to each and every one of you that support these events a massive huge thank you because to me you are the ones that make it so special and make it all worthwhile - and extra special heartfelt thanks to my loyal brigade who follow me wherever I play (you know who you are).

Last edited:

Harri74

May 29, 2007
Midlands
www.myspace.com
The up for it crowd make playing a pleasure - knowing I can play tunes that hardly anybody has heard before mixed in with some anthems and know the crowd will appreciate them. I could not believe the reaction to MQ Band `Working Up Your Mind` and I guarantee that no more than a handful of people knew that tune. I was buzzing.

^^^^^^^^^^
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I totally agree - the joy of sharing something good..:thumbsup:

Biskit

Jun 7, 2002
Chorley
www.chorley.fm
Firstly, thank you to Ian and Lisa for putting me on - these nights are so special to me. They have asked me to be resident DJ at Retro Trax - having thought about for at least half a second I agreed. I am chuffed to bits and very grateful for the opportunity and for the vote of confidence.

thats top news, no hangin ur boots up yet my m8 :thumbsup: glad the night went well :)

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I had a good night by all accounts:p :beer: :D

Thanks especially to Lisa and Ian for putting on another great night and Leaky and Jemma for putting me up:king: :beer:

The night got off to a brilliant start in their hotel and continued into the Dugout but got very hazy after the Dugout thanks to the Skipton posse all being hardcore party animals :lol: The aftershocks and whatever else we had between the chasers sorted that out but I do remember having a good time between the bits I don't remember:D

Anyway, it's always a pleasure to see everybody out having a good time, so roll on the next one:beer: :D

PepeLePew

Oct 27, 2005
Hyde
www.myspace.com
Another night to let me lose all sense of self conciousness :cool:

I loved your set Ian even if that meanie didn't. (Well all bar that well documented sneaky Casanova mix)

Thanks to everyone asking after Sarah. She was gutted to have to miss it and even more so after reading the reviews. And thanks to everyone else for sorting me out :thumbsup:

I don't like to over complement events. But Shades of Rhythm were easily the best live pa retro trax have put on. Expected 3 tracks, and got a well crafted old skool set out of the top draw.

Shazzer G didn't seem to be impressed when she asked where the female backing singer was. And I said Murfs was going to sing :D

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
Lol, i ferkin LOVE Shazzer G, the place wouldn't be the same without her! :mad:

And it was a shame that the other Shazza and Lee combo couldn't make it, they were properly missed by all....

nupski

Nov 2, 2007
Sheffield
Lol, i ferkin LOVE Shazzer G, the place wouldn't be the same without her! :mad:

And it was a shame that the other Shazza and Lee combo couldn't make it, they were properly missed by all....

so true hope u can make it to the next one shazza n lee, was gutted when u told me u weren't going :(

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
im glad all went well on the night and gutted i missed shades of rythm!

i had every faith that the night would go swimmingly and congratulate ian for puttign on another ace night:)

cant wait for the next retro trax installment and ill be there with bells on next time:thumbsup:

Thedaddy

Jun 22, 2009
Kent
www.do-1.co.uk
Gotta say that the night was ace, shades blew the roof off the o2, concurring with most of you that they were the best pa at a retro trax do.
Set of the night was without a shadow of doubt Barry's.
Sorry you didnt gel with my set U31, fully understand what you say as well. I intended to drop some anthems that tend to be overlooked, but back in the day down in the M25 rave days , thats how it was pumping.

Pepe-remember the video footage can be exclusively obtained for a reasonable price to keep your credible reputation intact.

Roll on the next retro trax gig, cant wait.
Thanks to Ian and Lisa for setting the night off and a big hello and thank you to everybody who bumped into me on the night -much love people

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
Its a pre bar warm up.... The idea just that, NOT to drop anthemz.... :p
Us old fuckers need to save our strength for the main gig!

I'll tell you what tho, it goes to show it was a personal taste thing, 'cause Shazzer G absolutely fooookin loved your set!

already thanked most people in person ,text or on Facebook , but a few short words on here too incase i missed anyone ,

well I.M.O. it was BEST RETRO-TRAX Ever :) nice one to everyone who came ,

cheers + thanks to ALL the djs on the whole night , :thumbsup:

shades where also amazing phones:

for those who want to come join the rest of the retro-trax crowd on FB to get the info on future events / freebies ect ect click link below:D

Welcome to Facebook | Facebook