Retro in the Park - Burnley

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Unit 7

May 26, 2023
Manchester
So, I'm 53 years young, and haven't entered into this part of East Lancashire since about 1991-92. As a hangover to the Blackburn parties, clubland started to galvanize us all, and standing in a queue from 7pm to get into Hacketts, Shelleys, Zone, Hippodrome, Empire, Pleasuredome, or wherever was happening in the North West, just seemed to be the norm. The most easterly point of Lancashire offered both Angels and Carlos II, both fantastic nights in there own right, and the Retro in the park festival offers us an insight into those nights at Angels in the early nineties. This festival took place on 19th August in Townley Park in Burnley.
Me and my girlfriend caught the train from Manchester and got to the event around 2pm. The weather was dry, and when the sun came out it was hot, so we knew that this was going to be a great day.
Lots, and lots of old skool goodies were presented to a mixed aged crowd, from oldies like me, to 20 somethings trying to find their preferred genre of electronic music.
Highlights were - we ended up at the front for Graeme Park, not intentionally, but somehow did. His set was.......wow, as normal, the old and the new collide, He started with Steve Silk Hurley 'Jack your body', and finished with LFO. The bits in the middle were deep and disco house, because we we so close to the front, me and the missus thought that we had him all to our self - truly magical moment. From here we went to a tent called 90's baby. We watched Jon Please Wimmin play the set of the day - the vibe was electric. From here we went back to the main stage to watch Todd Terry - I'm from the old skool so the Chicago house is my genre, so again, old and new american house. A truly fantastic set, then finally we went to watch Adrian Luvdup in the Angels tent - this place was truly rockin, it was a piano heaven from 1990 to 2000. Undoubtedly the song of the Adrian Luvdup set was 'shined on me' by praised cats.
There was loads of good stuff in between - Rob Tissera, John Kelly, Paul Bleasdale, and much much more.
I've been to a couple of Paul Taylors events, this is by far the best - security was friendly, toilets were a little risky, but its and outdoor festival in northern England - don't expect too much luxury!! But meet some nice people in the queue.........and the bar was well stocked.
People that visit this website should definitely visit this festival - its on point!
If anyone was their, get in touch, it would be great to exchange stories.

billyrave

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 28, 2012
Inside the Box
Great Post U7.
If you're feeling up to it, get over to our do in manc in a few weeks. It wont reach the heady days of the 20 somethings in the 90's but as a crew mainly 40's - 50's we can still shake our tails ;)

Unit 7

May 26, 2023
Manchester
Great Post U7.
If you're feeling up to it, get over to our do in manc in a few weeks. It wont reach the heady days of the 20 somethings in the 90's but as a crew mainly 40's - 50's we can still shake our tails ;)
Hi billyrave, yes, I'd love to go. Its very local for me, and always great to meet up folks that I used to dance with. Because I'm old........I don't FB, so I probably miss out on a lot of stuff. If you can send me over details of how to get tickets, I can arrange payment - 2 tickets please!! Quite excited now :cool: