represses good or bad?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Im all for represses :)

Music is to be played, if you are after an investment opportunity there are many more sensible things to invest in.

I do like to have the original where poss, and often buy the same release on different labels etc but thats only cos Im a bit of sad git.

Although I can play on CDs or mp3s I rarely use em and most times dont even turn the things on, just prefer wax...(serato might be a good solution for me?)

All about the music imo :love:

It is all about the music however it is also about NOT supporting the bootlegging and pay no loyalties to the hard working artist represses that kick around. Original labels all day every day for me. Where I have bought collections with bootlegs then they get kicked out.....need to sort a few out soon.

S

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
They certainly wouldn't be getting anything on a resale of an original, if indeed they even got paid first time round. Reading artist interviews in the past, it's staggering the amount of artists that claim they got ripped off or didn't receive a cent for their work. Even lots of big names in the hip hop industry throughout the 80's. They couldn't afford lawyers to fight their corner. It's a shame really:|

I think Pink Floyd's original contract was 3% of sales and they were often on the verge of bankruptcy throughout their careers, even (I think I read in one of the books) after Dark Side, one of the biggest selling records of all time.

Just saying, there's no guarantees that you've helped or are helping the artists other than keeping their work alive by playing their music.

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
2nd everything...

good points for all sides...original artists should get payed, if it was a seminal tune instrumental in the early movement etc...some tunes and artists have reached a cult status years ago, plus it takes a lot of time searching for samples to pinch..that haven't already been taken.
Industry fat cats are awesome at making money , and seem to keep it all...although Nick Mason did takes his brand new Fezzla to the Top Gear track...and he did turn up in his helicopter...lol..wot a boy...so as long as uz not a total mong, lets hope that the innovator has won the battle against the machine, need a good lawyer..as Jig says...and really, as far as "bootlegging" goes, it's a good advert for the original artist, I doubt that runs are more than a few thousand at a time, even for the more successful ones, it's really hard to get an exact rip...even from DAT as your normally sourcing an original recording from a vinyl disc anyway...admitidly, if it were me, on my arse with a crack pipe hangin' out of my pocket...and my tune was getting booted around town...I would be peeved about it...it is a very, very good point S...but half of the music wouldn't have been made without the bootlegged copies of cubase...lol...maybe more like 93 onwards for this, but, point is that WE had no choice but to use ripped copies cos we had no money...can remember my mate JB taking his demo over to Liams house (Prod) ...on vapours, ran out of juice on the way back..sqeez'd every KB out of his old Akai s950...Roland D5 held together with tape!! he now sits back earning money from synth noises on Deal Or No Deal cos he was smart enough to play the industry money makers at their own game and saved them cash by charging them a lot for his synth patches...instead of a fkn fortune for library ones they were using, the lad also has the right attitude and as soon as he had made good...he obv bought a legal version of all the applicable software...he never would've got that break if he hadn't rellentlesly plugged away churning out dance tracks with Cubase2 and an Atari st..all for nothing aswell, just for the love of the scene .."one love".. it's what we preached, and I still have that phillsophy today. The only thing now that I find myself being picky with about bootlegs is the sound...and that is purely quality control talking, I got a promo of TC1992 Funky Guitar and the cut is nowhere near the finalized release, so I suppose we gotta take this into account aswell...when I was a kid...my clothes came from Bilston market or the army and navy shop, cosmic, punn, sport Billy...lol...thats my level of where I'm at with it all...nice to have a bit of gravy when ur older an can appreciate it more, but I put my whole life, heart and soul into making the movement a way of life, for me and all the peeps we on about, artists, lawyers, mccp , recreational hedonists , muzo's gallore...and y'know what...I'm taking whatever I want back from it...same goes for all the dedicated comunity on OSA...keepin' the faith alive. ;)

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
It is all about the music however it is also about NOT supporting the bootlegging and pay no loyalties to the hard working artist represses that kick around. Original labels all day every day for me. Where I have bought collections with bootlegs then they get kicked out.....need to sort a few out soon.

S

Bootlegging is a separate issue than represses, Im thinkin like the S12 releases which are a positive imo etc.

Realistically the only chance the original artists are going to benefit from the music they have made is from represses, they dont get a slice of the sale of a 2nd hand copy that was sold on ebay or discogs. Also in many cases the owners of the music are often not the performers or writers anyhow so do not benefit, and it is a fact that some of the artists actually appreciate there music getting out there in whatever format as they enjoy that others gain pleasure from listening to their work.

Please note Im not trying to justify bootlegs Im just highlighting the benefit of represses in comparison.

As for booty's you can argue the same point with an mp3 rips that you may have?

I have plenty of rare stuff that has sold for over £50+, wont bother me if it gets repressed or available for download.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I saw this and thought about this thread Comics - The Oatmeal

1.png2.png3.png4.png

DJRazz

VIP Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
Im still mixing with vinyl...you can beat it the sound quality is so much better...a richer sound !

I just paid £50 for Dreamscape The Creator its currently between £125 and £175 on Discogs
but if i could have bought it on a bootleg or a repress for £20-30 i would have.

Although it is a good feeling to have the rare one !!!!!