Recording vinal ?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Rich-M

Mar 7, 2013
Camblesforth
Hi all

Ive just bought a Traktor Z2 mixer and getting to grips with it.
Im trying to suss out how to record my records so have them digitally.
I put the mixer in through mode so can play or mix my vinal into a digital tune but traktor will only record the digital tune not the vinal ??

What im after is a way to record my vinal ??

Im using a mac book air with the latest version of traktor. Can anyone suggest a program i can use to record my records instead of messing about with traktor.

Cheers
Rich

Sam

Aug 11, 2008
My House
to record your Vinyl? Thats VINYL!!! ha ha... try use Audacity Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

It's freeware and very user friendly. I've had good results using it, there is an effects bank which I stay clear of. Overall, it's ace. My setup is out of my mixer to my external USB/phono interface and onto the PC.

Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

Last edited:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
My method is tried and tested, works well....

Technics 1200 - DJM500 - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD Card - Adobe Audition 1.5.

This allows me to balance, amp up and trim each track. I don't use the anti pop etc as I don't like the end result plus you want it to sound like vinyl.

Best of luck with it, Ive been doing it for 2 years and about 2500 records in!!

S

jason67

Apr 12, 2010
Planina pod golico, Slovenia
to record your Vinyl? Thats VINYL!!! ha ha... try use Audacity Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

It's freeware and very user friendly. I've had good results using it, there is an effects bank which I stay clear of. Overall, it's ace. My setup is out of my mixer to my external USB/phono interface and onto the PC.

Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

Just need a bit of help from somebody who's not a thick as me.....:$

Ok, recently got my decks set up after quite a few years being stored away. So i thought that i'd join the digital age and hook them up to my computer. The aim is only to record a set and maybe play on here sometime.
So i've downloaded Audacity, but I'm not sure which type of connectors I should use from my mixer to the computer. I've had a look on the interweb but everybody seems to give a different answer. I understand that I go from my 'output' but do I get a cable for the mic/head port or a USB port? Is there anything else I need.
Cheers in advance.

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
Hi Jason...The most common way to break "out" of the mixer and "in" to the computer would be a phono to 1/4" jack lead like this one.
phono..jack lead.jpg
...and go straight into the on board sound card input, usually the mic input.
I have a USB soundcard but essentially it is still a phone to jack lead. Some mixers have a USB output but this is a relatively new thing me thinks.
There are lots of different software progs that will process sound, I use wavepad from nch, it's virtually identical to Wavelab from Steinberg but a stripped down version, it's reliable and doesn't give you any nasty addware etc, it will demote itself from a full trial version to a free stripped down version after 30 days but is still a great tool.
Press record/create (choose the quality of the waveform...I go for top daddy 96000khz) and then choose the input for the recorder from the drop down menu...prob be a very limited choice unless u have mulitple sound cards....then hit the big red button...it will become self apparent how to set the levels etc..try to not quite clip the red and you'll be sweet.

jason67

Apr 12, 2010
Hi Jason...The most common way to break "out" of the mixer and "in" to the computer would be a phono to 1/4" jack lead like this one.
View attachment 32780
Press record/create (choose the quality of the waveform...I go for top daddy 96000khz) and then choose the input for the recorder from the drop down menu...prob be a very limited choice unless u have mulitple sound cards....then hit the big red button...it will become self apparent how to set the levels etc..try to not quite clip the red and you'll be sweet.

Ok, when I tried to record something it was telling me it's too high and it was always in the red....Some I went to their tutorial here. WavePad Audio Editor v.5 - Introduction - YouTube
At around 2.58 they talk about recording but when I click the red button a pop up box doesn't appear mine just goes straight into recording.
So I need to adjust the levels but I can't see how... Also the bit I quoted from you, how and where can you choose the waveform?
Sorry to be a pain mate!

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
This is likely to be your soundcard settings. It sounds as if it is set up for mic and you need it set up for aux in. This is where a mixer is useful, amps the phono signature correctly for aux inputs ie power amps etc.

S

Sam

Aug 11, 2008
My House
Audacity.

Put a record on.

Red and White phono jack out of your mixer. Booth or Master.

Plug it into soundcard on the back of your pc.

Drop down the edit menu go to preferences at the bottom.

On the audio tab drop down the recording device menu and the playback menu and select the right one for you. ie try em all until you get a signal.

Adjust the channel level on your mixer to stop any clipping.

Wish I could be more help, if you dont have any joy i'll try put up some pics.

Sam.

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
open up ur soundcard mixer...double click on the volume icon in the start up tray...this should give u a series of sliders to controll the volume...also in wavepad, when the record pop up window has appeared there should be 3 choices on the right hand side...from the top down...Device (where u get ur signal from)
input (prob say windows mxer...this is what I meant before when i said soundc ard mixer) and Volume...my soundcard has to be turned right down..bloody ridiculously loud and sensative...but u will deffo have as much contro;l as u need...if u have recorded and think it may be a tad quiet...or u want all your recordings to be the same level...there is a function in Effects called Normalize...this will make everything as loud as it can be without clipping.

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
...and there is unlimited undoes...it's a really nice and simple program to work with..any probs just post up..it takes a while to get yer head around new software ...if u like me :thumbsup:

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
Hey Rich. I'm sure you're already aware of this, but just in case, make sure you ALWAYS clean your records before recording. No amount of post-processing can make up for using as clean a record as possible for the audio source. And make sure to set the tone-arm weight and anti-skating correctly too. There's plenty youtube vids if you're unsure. Happy ripping :thumbsup:

jason67

Apr 12, 2010
Audacity.

Put a record on.

Red and White phono jack out of your mixer. Booth or Master.

Plug it into soundcard on the back of your pc.

Drop down the edit menu go to preferences at the bottom.

On the audio tab drop down the recording device menu and the playback menu and select the right one for you. ie try em all until you get a signal.

Adjust the channel level on your mixer to stop any clipping.

Wish I could be more help, if you dont have any joy i'll try put up some pics.

Sam.

I'm now sorted on this one, just got to play around with it for a while. Cheers for all your help guys, :thumbsup: when I get a good connection for the interweb I'll jump on and do a set or two on here. Mind you it'll probably take me a while to work out how to do that....... so expect another bout of stupid questions from me.....