Recording Hiss

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Aydo

Aug 1, 2002
Exiled Lad
Right - what do you peeps use to clean up/eliminate hiss and noise from recordings? I do loads of wav/mp3 recording live thru me soundcard, off tapes etc, but have never worked out a reasonably easy way of doing it. I have even got a bombed new soundcard but all the noise is still shittin me!!!
help meeeeee

thanks

ade

:D

P

pianoman

Try

Cool Edit pro fella, its got sum nifty preset noise removal and crack and his eliminating options. Theres a few such Stuff like Soundforge, I would deffo Recomend C.E. Pro tho

VinylAnimal

Jul 18, 2001
West Yorkshire
Best way mate - hit record well before the tune starts (therefore recording the hiss on it's own as well as the hiss with the tune.

Then, highlight only the hiss in cool edit and on NOISE REDUCTION select GET PROFILE FROM SELECTION. This basically analyses the hiss...

Then highlight the entire tune and select noise reduction again. Apply the profile created earlier and it removes the hiss without fukking with the tune (assuming your tune isn't a hissy one lol)

Hope this makes sense :S

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
I'm with pianoman on this one, cooledit pro is the best I've found for this. Steinberg Clean is ok but it uses a kind of preset thing to get rid of the hiss, what cooledit does though is actually analyze a portion of the tape hiss then go through the rest of the file and remove those frequencies from the wave - seems to work much more effectively. You'll need to read the instructions as it's not the most obvious thing to use, giz a shout if you need any help though Ade.