record shop experiences

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

djpileup

Jun 11, 2007
Scotland
dunno if there's been a thread about this before.

My brother had told me the name of this trance tune with crazy bongo drums i liked and he said it was called the bongo song. I said 'i'm not gonna ask for that ...whats its real name?' and so he told me.
Anyway I remember going into my local independent at the time and asking for Safri duo's 'Played-Alive-O' and bloke behind the counter was like 'sorry mate not got that'. And i looked round and then back at the dude and said 'my brother said it's called the Bongo Song', and everybody in the store started :rofl: The shop dude then goes 'oh right yeah man, the Bongo Song!' and he reaches under the counter and says 'yeah we got tons of copies of that in'

Anyway c'mon ther must be much better stories than that so lets hear them...

I used to buy tunes @ Pure records which is down by the law courts in Brum - was ran by Lee Fisher & was a good lil shop.

Then 'MC' Lennie took it over & turned it into a nasty lil crack den lol

I went in there once & he refused to sell me this

Criminal Minds, The - Re-Baptised By Dub

I obviously didn't look 'hardcore' enough :| :| :| ie. I wasn't black, half caste or talked like I wanted to be & I didn't spend hours kissing his arse like the rest of shop (which consisted of shit loads of ASBO 15 year olds wagging school).

AND he ruined loads of my old hardcore tapes with his incessant yabbering. The cnut

rainbow sky

Nov 25, 2005
Skies Over Leeds
I used to buy tunes @ Pure records which is down by the law courts in Brum - was ran by Lee Fisher & was a good lil shop.

Then 'MC' Lennie took it over & turned it into a nasty lil crack den lol

I went in there once & he refused to sell me this

Criminal Minds, The - Re-Baptised By Dub

I obviously didn't look 'hardcore' enough :| :| :| ie. I wasn't black, half caste or talked like I wanted to be & I didn't spend hours kissing his arse like the rest of shop (which consisted of shit loads of ASBO 15 year olds wagging school).

AND he ruined loads of my old hardcore tapes with his incessant yabbering. The cnut
apart from all that your still good friends yeah;)

Tim Acid

Nov 1, 2003
The Acid House
theacidhouse.com
Was in Pyrimad Records in Guildford which was above a comic shop...

Had a pile of vinyl and was at a listenening post with head phones on going through them......... when some fucker pressed the stop button and tapped me on the shoulder.....when I turned around I noticed that there was about twelve police officers in the shop....and found myself in a middle of a drugs raid......:| lucky I had no precy sledge on me at the time....but others were not so lucky......was kinda mad experiece that was :eek:

djpileup

Jun 11, 2007
Scotland
There was this one record shop i used to goto that as soon as you entered you got high of a certain 'atmosphere' in the air if ya know what i mean ;)

Gav

Feb 6, 2004
London
I was once accused of stealing styluses from the decks in Chemistry records in Kingston......let me assure you, it was a case of mistaken identity though.....!!!

nathan

Sep 6, 2001
north west london
www.cometogether2.co.uk
hahaha

I was once accused of stealing styluses from the decks in Chemistry records in Kingston......let me assure you, it was a case of mistaken identity though.....!!!

I remember loads cause I used to go round collecting the flyers. Oh how people laughed and now they are worth a fortune.

Black market records - hassled nicky black market for about 2 months for manic- i'm coming hardcore. To this day I still don't have it.

Hassled rocky and diesel at flying records for loads of hardcore. LOL what a acid ted I was.

made good friends with roy the roach and choci though. Had some laughs with them. Most record shop blokes were twats though

STUART

Jul 27, 2002
Birmingham
going into Manchester underground and asking for some piano tunes and they looked at me gone out and said nobody makes those anymore even though the likes of Melody House were selling em by the bucket load like sechhi-Easy to love, and Jk - you make me feel good

also another Manchester Underground :$ moment asking for a track that goes iiiii, eiiiii, eiiiii and singing the loop from what turned out to be Brothers Luv Dubs - mighty ming.

not getting any reaction i went full out and did sang the same to Mike E-Bloc he didnt know until i said it sounds like the break from Underground Possse - straight up house and he knew straight away

:cool:

NuSense Soundz

Mar 26, 2007
Norfolk (Chester, term time)
going into Manchester underground and asking for some piano tunes and they looked at me gone out and said nobody makes those anymore

I found record mission in Manchester a real chore. Back home now, so Killa Tunez in Norwich be the place, purely coz those guys are on the level. Chilled flickin through beatz, mix til your ears bleed, and no pressure to buy shit just coz you walked through the door.

Recommended to anyone in the area. Respect.