Questions about using ableton to DJ

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

static

Jan 16, 2006
Atlanta Georgia
www.mixcloud.com
I think I'm gonna breakdown and buy a Macbook Pro and get Live, but I have a few questions.

First (this is probably stupid but) do you have to buy a audio interface or just use the laptops soundcard. I imagine you do if you'd like to audition tracks before you play them (something with a headphone out?). Can you suggest a good inexpensive interface?

Second how does ableton work if you are playing a song that has a tempo change. Can you set certain songs to follow their tempo changes or do you have manually change the tempo of the song where it would normally change.

Third, if I wanted to mix something that was half time on another song is that possible and how?. Can I mix something that is 70 bpms on top of something that is 140 bpm?

I'm sure I'll think of some more questions, but help with these will be crucial in my purchasing decision.

thanks for any help
Roby

Baxter Parker

Dec 18, 2005
Dundee
www.discogs.com
Yeah man i got an audio interface as an external soundcard...but i don't use a mac....and with the temppo change,thats the only letdown on Ableton....only way i can think to get round it is to beat match it but reduce the bpm with your midi controller....i got an M-Audio Audiophile and it works spot on for me..played live with it and i just plug it into the line in on the mixer.....no probs....
here's a link to dolphin's website they could point yoou in the right direction for a soundcard....they've got some reviews with them .....
Firewire 400 Sound Cards / Audio Interfaces @ Dolphin Music

Baxter Parker

Dec 18, 2005
Dundee
www.discogs.com
Third, if I wanted to mix something that was half time on another song is that possible and how?. Can I mix something that is 70 bpms on top of something that is 140 bpm?

Roby
You just gotta beatmatch it correctlyas long as you get your markers right this is possible without any distortion to the 70bpm track....any vocals won't sound like there being sung by a smurf

static

Jan 16, 2006
Atlanta Georgia
www.mixcloud.com
You just gotta beatmatch it correctlyas long as you get your markers right this is possible without any distortion to the 70bpm track....any vocals won't sound like there being sung by a smurf

So if I mix form 140 to something that is 70 I have to put the warp markers on the 1 and 3 to be my quarter notes? What if i want to mix another 70 bpm after that I'd still have to warp it to 140? Is their some way of toggleing the warp makers so they can be half time or double time? so you don't have to manually move them. That would be awesome.

roby join

Ableton Live DJ :: Index

go to faq section when joined and get the ableton beginners guide has everything you ever wanted to know about ableton

best tip i can give you is find first beat set marker 1 set loop at 4 and put a marker on 4th bar and right click warp from here straight this shall set your warp exact to any tempo straight off thats how ive been doin it for yrs now. once get this down you can warp a song in seconds, just by previewing loops making sure the markers inline, with cd rips its mainly mine, but older vinyl rips can be a nitemare

i warp either with a loop of a beat sample or with metronome

any questions add me on msn

al

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
I have a question, i have managed to Warp 4/4 beats well in Ableton now, but what about Mixing & warping Ambient tracks, such like "The Orb" "FSOL" "Reload" etc.

Any help on how its done with hardly any beats to go by?

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

static

Jan 16, 2006
Atlanta Georgia
www.mixcloud.com
roby join

Ableton Live DJ :: Index

go to faq section when joined and get the ableton beginners guide has everything you ever wanted to know about ableton

best tip i can give you is find first beat set marker 1 set loop at 4 and put a marker on 4th bar and right click warp from here straight this shall set your warp exact to any tempo straight off thats how ive been doin it for yrs now. once get this down you can warp a song in seconds, just by previewing loops making sure the markers inline, with cd rips its mainly mine, but older vinyl rips can be a nitemare

i warp either with a loop of a beat sample or with metronome

any questions add me on msn

al

Thanks for this Al, this forum is very helpful. It looks like it covers everything for beginners and also goes well technical for advance users.
now I just have to wait for the program to arrive. :)