Postal Charges Going Up

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now
after goin the post office yesterday morning i picked up the new charges leaflet , jesus its gonna cost everyone buying/selling records cds ect a good few quid extra to send/recieve stuff from next month, working off this guide it looks like posing a 12" in a mailer 1st class is nearly double what it is now, :eek:

apperently its based on size from now on not just weight , so big record mailers and even small cd size jiffy bags costs more

Last edited:

skillzminster

Sep 18, 2004
The Land Of Luigi
www.myspace.com
I Heard Awhile Ago About The Postal Charges Were Going To Quite Extortionate. Robbin Bar Stewards. Since Quite A High Percentage Of Us Do Our Vinyl Shopping Online And Of Coarse The Bay,Which Have Partly Contributed Towards The Increase , It Was Only A Matter Time Before They Would Revise Their Pricing Structure.

Last edited:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Its not on really is it...but like ya say times a changing so sposed we gotta expect it........typical though aint it jus when i wanna start buying vinyl lol :p

coggledots

Aug 11, 2005
Harrogate
typical Royal Mail innit! They've seen loads more peeps selling on e-bay & sending through them, so RM profits go up, so they decide to try and make even MORE money by upping thier charges!

I've had a quick glance at the new charges leaflet thingy & it looks like a records gonna cost from £1.70 SECOND class! I think they've done it espesh for records too! As the max size is slightly smaller than a mailer! IE. 25cm max size....Mailers about 30cm!

Last edited:

MizzDeedz

May 6, 2006
crikey!! think i better get those books and cd's on ebay in the next week to take advantage of the lower postage fees. its bad enough that ive had people who buy moan about the postage charges now (and i charge them exact what the RM charges me - not a penny more:S )

fred_funk

May 9, 2003
Landaaaaaan town
Dj ste said:
i'm a postie and deffo not lazy sy mate lol ;) although there are some lazy gits though
My postie is lazy. I stay on the top floor (fourth) of a block of flats and if he has say 1 envelope for me (or my neighbour across the way) he will leave it on the stairs several flights down. ...meant to add, that I am obviously not accusing you all of being lazy gits. Mine definitely is though! :)

Last edited:
fred_funk said:
My postie is lazy. I stay on the top floor (fourth) of a block of flats and if he has say 1 envelope for me (or my neighbour across the way) he will leave it on the stairs several flights down.

my postys same lazy, i live in block of 6 flats top floor , the trade button to let him in stops about 10.30am so when he does make it round at around 1.30 - 2pm or later :p when everyones out at work he cant get in the block and therefore cant even leave a card through my letterbox to say youve a parcel :eek: so i just have guess when my records will be in the depot to pick up , fantastic service :thumbsup: NOT !!

Billy Liar

Sep 15, 2003
Uckerschmuck
Sorted...

Gotta jump on this, being a postie..
As for Sy69 ....why dont ye ring DHL or TNT and see how much they'd charge ye lunatic.
They've been pricing like this for years.Personally, I think if i was laying around all day waiting for records to come that I 'd only ever heard on some oldskool forum , I'd be ecstatic when they arrived for less than two quid.
"was only meant as a joke "-you be about as funny as asking to hold a Bar Mitzvah in Beirut....
Go and boil yer head ..
:mexican: :thumbsup:

Love to all
Bill.

turpieaj

Feb 15, 2003
sunshine on Leith, via Watford
As a Royal Mail employee here is my twopenneth worth.

Only a couple of months ago postcomm our regulator who governs all mail companies like TNT etc as well, issued Royal Mail with a 12 million quid fine for what is known as "unfair play" in the market- now I know that we have never done anything snidey to pull the carpet from under the competitors feet, but they only way they cannot compete against us is price.

For god sake you can get a letter from Lands End to John O Groats for just a tad over 30p!!!!! Thats sorting transporting and delivering it to the letter box. No other competitor has the infrastructure to do so. The only way we as a business can play more fair is unfortunately up the prices to be in line with what the others charge to even the playing field.:(

Also I know that there is a load of usless employees just as there is in any business, but slating them or the business on a public forum WILL NOT get results. If your having probs personally with your postman, then the best and quickest way to do it is to pop down to your delivery office to the callers office and ask to speak to the DOM (delivery office manager) have a polite word in his shellike and im pretty sure he can sort summit out:thumbsup: if not then issue a complaint with customer services as thats what they are there for!

Andy

Billy Liar said:
Gotta jump on this, being a postie..
As for Sy69 ....why dont ye ring DHL or TNT and see how much they'd charge ye lunatic.
They've been pricing like this for years.Personally, I think if i was laying around all day waiting for records to come that I 'd only ever heard on some oldskool forum , I'd be ecstatic when they arrived for less than two quid.
"was only meant as a joke "-you be about as funny as asking to hold a Bar Mitzvah in Beirut....
Go and boil yer head ..
:mexican: :thumbsup:

Love to all
Bill.

Adi Wilson

Jul 7, 2006
Just done some research 4 ya all!!
price for sending 1 vinyl with stiffener inside first class was £1.29 new price from august 21st will be £1.70. Still cheap i reckon:D
hope this helps you all sleep tonight:mad:

Benny-Digital

Apr 20, 2006
Pink makes the boys wink....
Adi Wilson said:
Just done some research 4 ya all!!
price for sending 1 vinyl with stiffener inside first class was £1.29 new price from august 21st will be £1.70. Still cheap i reckon:D
hope this helps you all sleep tonight:mad:

Thats not terrible realy.. Lets just hope that sellers even out the prices on tunes ay ay ay ;)

shabby service

Also I know that there is a load of usless employees just as there is in any business, but slating them or the business on a public forum WILL NOT get results. If your having probs personally with your postman, then the best and quickest way to do it is to pop down to your delivery office to the callers office and ask to speak to the DOM (delivery office manager) have a polite word in his shellike and im pretty sure he can sort summit out:thumbsup: if not then issue a complaint with customer services as thats what they are there for!

Andy[/quote]

i disagree i think raising the issue on a public forum is a good way to air the views of unhappy customers , whome most of the people on this forum who buy and sell records/cds are , and who want an efficient postal service , this is even more the case as now we are all gonna suffer the price hike but will probably only recieve the same shabby service which has gone from bad to worse over the last 5 years , i used to have the same postman for years after he left its been a different one every few months , i know its the same in different arears too as i get alot of my mail sent to my parents address now due to the unbearable problem i explained about in my earlier post on this topic,

they are in a simlar situation as only a few weeks ago mail was coming 3 - 4 days later to my parents addressed with their house number on , but stated not at mosscoft school , the new posty was just dumping the whole close,s post in the mail for the local school cause he couldnt be arsed , and yes WE DID complain to the post office and got fobbed off as usual , plus ive got better things to do than sit waiting for a reply off an 0870 number , i know not all postys are to blame but lets face theres a major problem thats getting no better and costing us alot more :p

fred_funk

May 9, 2003
Landaaaaaan town
...before the posties on here get too pissed off with folk moaning, I think I should point out that nobody has touched on their experiences of using other providers (such as Amtrak, etc) for any form of delivery - so don't get too paranoid.

We're just letting of a very small amount of steam and having a bit of moan.

I actually think the service is pretty good to be honest.