Pin up girls / True faith / Sweet mercy / Final cut - Take me away

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

king coe

Aug 8, 2002
somewhere in an area near you
Ok im looking for the definitive answer on this if possible.

Which was the very first time this appeared? Was it on Blip, Paragon records or was it on Soft Records?

Id also like to know who penned it?

Sweet mercy was - Eric Gooden, Eric Powell

Pin Up Girls was - Paul Walker

True faith - Jeff Mills

Final cut - Anthony Stock,Jeff Mills.

The problem is there's identical mixes of it on all three labels which makes it very hard to define.

Cheers :thumbsup:

ivan

May 24, 2006
tap end of the bath
this is how i remember it. the one on paragon came first, but i bought them in this order...

the version on network was the first heard/bought in 1991. a little after that 3 beat in liverpool were selling the pin-up girls version (which may have been a re-press from 1990, i don't know). a little after that someone in HMV on church street (liverpool) wised up to all this and found a box of the original paragon release.

i'd read about the paragon release in mix mag/record mirror etc. shortly after the network version came out. obviously being the days of pre-internet i thought i'd never find a copy.

i wasn't aware of the sweet mercy version by the way. they obviously put it out to satisfy demand (in 1990 on blip) and network thought why don't we release the original? a bit like record labels in the 60's where you would end up with 4 versions of the same song in the charts at the same time! ten records even re-releasing that blip version in 1991.

jeff mills, bridgette grace and antony srock wrote it. jeff mills (and U.R.), juan atkins, derrick may and kevin saunderson blazed a path for others to follow.

Detroit wrote the rules. moody little chancers in the U.K. and europe followed the rules and/or ripped off everything.

NB - just realised that additional production on the paragon release was by james pennington (suburban knight) and santonio echols (reese & santonio). :cool:

king coe

Aug 8, 2002
somewhere in an area near you
Great answer mate. So whats your thoughts on different names on releases? Like Paul Walker was that a remix by him (pin up girls). Im pretty sure this version wasn't on the original paragon release. Soft records seems to be the one that fetches the most money which makes me wonder why its the most valuable too. On second thoughts im thinking it will be because it was that remix that Sasha played.

Last edited:

ivan

May 24, 2006
tap end of the bath
Those pin up mixes sound like paul walker has grabbed the accapella then replayed the parts himself and done a bloody good job. The tech me away mix is one of my faves. I suppose if you are badly in to synths and studio gear you can replay anything you want, a bit like that davos lad.

ivan

May 24, 2006
tap end of the bath
As for the different names on the different releases i just think that's a bit cheeky. The british copycats probably thought no one is going to know the original anyway so let's claim copyright. Then again by adding their own twist they could claim part of it is their work. There's an old addage in the music industry that musicians use to get their name on the credits (and get more money)..."change a word and claim a third".

Last edited: