Paul Oakenfold - Radio 1 Essential Mix, The Goa Mix 12-18-1994

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

wallabyFC

Aug 17, 2013
www.oakenfoldmixes.com
Thought I'd post a proper tracklist of the Goa mix on here. This is the most accurate tracklist of this mix on the internet. Put in days of research and analysis on it a few years ago :p

I present to you, the Goa mix..

Paul Oakenfold - Radio 1 Essential Mix, The Goa Mix 12-18-1994

01. Mr. V - Give Me Life (Full Vocal, Full Monty Mix) (re-edit)
02. Grace - Orange (Original Perfecto Mix)
03. Li Kwan - Point Zero (Original Extended Mix)
04. The Disco Evangelists - De Niro (The Spaceflight Remix)
05. Virtual Symmetry - The V.S. (Original Mix)
06. Vangelis - Tears In Rain (re-edit)
07. Salt Tank - Eugina (Unknown Mix) (re-edit)
08. Hallucinogen - LSD (Original Version)
09. Saint Etienne - Only Love Can Break Your Heart (A Mix Of Two Halves)
10. Wojciech Kilar - Vampire Hunters (re-edit)
11. Electrotete - Alcatraz
12. Vangelis - Main Titles (from the Blade Runner soundtrack) (re-edit)
13. Man With No Name - Floor-Essence (Dayglo Mix)
14. Scorpio Rising - Dubcatcher (Oakenfold Instrum. Edit)
15. Man With No Name - Evolution
16. Goldie presents The Metalheads - Inner City Life (Full Length Mix) (re-edit)
17. Wojciech Kilar - Love Remembered
18. Voodoo People - Co-Incidence
19. The Infinity Project - Stimuli (Original Mix) (re-edit)
20. Trance Team - Wake Up (Trance Mix)
21. V-Tracks - Heretic Voices (Original Mix)
22. Marmion - Schöneberg (Marmion Remix) (re-edit)
23. Karl Biscuit - Hiérophone (re-edit)
24. Vangelis - Rachel's Song
25. Virus - Sun (Oakenfold/Osborne Mix)
26. Man With No Name - Deliverance
27. Perfecto Allstarz - Reach Up (Papa's Got A Brand New Pig Bag) (Indian Summer Remix) (re-edit)
28. Para-Dizer - Song Of Liberation (Exit EEE Remix) (re-edit)
29. Dead Can Dance - Sanvean
30. 4 Voice - Eternal Spirit (Southern Mix) (re-edit)
31. Man With No Name - Sugar Rush (Original Mix) (re-edit)

Tracklist updated on: April 21, 2010 by wallabyFC
Source: DJ_Hailstone @ tranceaddict.com

Listen: www.oakenfoldmixes.com/mixes/paul-oakenfold-radio-1-essential-mix-the-goa-mix-12-18-1994

Download this mix: www.mediafire.com/oakenfoldmixes
password: oakenfold

Last edited:

wallabyFC

Aug 17, 2013
www.oakenfoldmixes.com
Thought you guys would enjoy this if you haven't read it. It's oakenfold talking about this mix in his authorised biography:

'It was the hardest mix to complete,' says Paul, 'because of the arrangement, the keys, mixing in a lot of music that had no beat. It took months. The choice of tracks took three or four months, then I did a lot of research to find out what would work, keywise, from film music, that had the emotion and feeling I wanted to put across. I did that at the piano. Usually you are mixing beats, but this was all about key, mixing ambience, adding spoken word. A lot of it is in minor keys because it's more emotional. I mixed it all to a click track, then took that out when the mix was done. It was slow, hard work. I was on the verge of giving up at one point; I thought "Fuck this, this is a lot of work ... why don't I just do a DJ mix?" But Radio One giving us a two-hour slot was a big deal, and to be creative, with no boundaries, was a really big deal, so that's why I wanted to take it to the next level. I was just trying to tell a story. The music was cutting-edge, and I've always thought that [film] score would work with my style of trance music. I think it really opened the doors for a lot of people, because it took the underground sound and played it on mainstream radio. Oakenfold fans weren't expecting to hear it; they were expecting to hear melodic trance, and I just completely banged it. Psychedelic trance was something that I was really into, and I thought it gave me a good vehicle to showcase what I can do.'

The mix was bootlegged heavily. Liverpool club Cream pressed up a large quantity of promo CDs. 'Typical Scousers!' laughs Paul when referring to the club where he was soon to shine. You get the feeling he may have had some hand in the bootlegs himself. 'They made shitloads of money out of it,' he says. 'I wasn't worried about the money – I wanted it out there. I thought it was a sound that people had never heard before; that was the idea, to do something new, fresh, and different.'

Excerpt from Paul Oakenfold: The Authorised Biography, by Richard Norris, 2007

Last edited:

Riddler

Feb 7, 2009
New York
Oakenfold has done a Directors commentary for the Radio 1 Anniversary. If you're a fan it's worth a listen. It's a lot more insightful than the biography.

BBC Radio 1 - BBC Radio 1's Essential Mix, Radio 1's Essential Mix @ 20, Radio 1's Essential Mix @ 20: Paul Oakenfold, Paul Oakenfold's Goa Mix - Directors commentary

Not sure how widely circulated this version is but many years ago I managed to get my hands on a rip from the original radio mix without the radio 1 idents & Pete Tong overlays. If anybody is interested I'll post it.

Chunky

Mar 21, 2006
Yeah it's quite common, it was bootlegged and sold in music shops like the Cream shop, Massive Records etc around the UK