Paul Oakenfold @ Kiss FM, London - Live And Direct 1985

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

wallabyFC

Aug 17, 2013
www.oakenfoldmixes.com
This was when Oakenfold was a DJ at Kiss FM during its early pirate days. You can hear him introduce this mix at the beginning. He was only 22 years old at the time!

Paul Oakenfold @ Kiss FM, London - Live And Direct 1985

Records used (in order of appearance)

Click below to hear the unknown IDs.

01. Conway Brothers - Turn It Up (Instrumental)
02. Cybotron - Clear (Remix By Jose "Animal" Diaz)
03. Hashim - Al-Naafiysh (The Soul) (B1, CR-200)
04. Alexander Robotnick - Problèmes D'Amour (Original)
05. Kool & The Gang - Fresh (Remix)
06. ID
07. George Kranz - Din Daa Daa (Dub Version)
08. ID
09. DeBarge - Rhythm Of The Night (Long Version)
10. ID
11. ID
12. ID
13. ID
14. Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious Five - Pump Me Up (Original Mix)
15. Boney M. - Kalimba De Luna
16. Animotion - Obsession
17. ID
18. Cymande - Bra (Danny Krivit Re-edit)
19. Rock Master Scott And The Dynamic Three - The Roof Is On Fire (Club DJ)
20. Diana Ross - Swept Away (Extended Mix)
21. C.O.D. - In The Bottle (Vocal)
22. Martin Circus - Disco Circus
23. Phil Collins - Sussudio (Extended Remix)
24. Aleem Featuring Leroy Burgess - Release Yourself (Dub)
25. Cosmetic With Jamaaladeen Tacuma - So Tranquilizin' (Special Dub Mix)
26. Philip Bailey & Phil Collins - Easy Lover
27. Jeff Lorber - Step By Step
28. Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok
29. Wish Featuring Fonda Rae - Touch Me (All Night Long)

Tracklist updated on: February 12, 2011 by wallabyFC

Listen: www.oakenfoldmixes.com/mixes/paul-oakenfold-kiss-fm-london-live-and-direct-1985

Download this mix: www.mediafire.com/oakenfoldmixes
password: oakenfold

Here's some more commentary on this mix by Richcolour, originally from mastermix.org (re-posted here since the page is currently down):

PAUL OAKENFOLD & WOODY WOOD

Seven and a half minutes, recorded from the early days of Kiss 94fm. This one has the Conway Brothers Turn it Up as it's foundation break. Features great choice of tunes, some pop and rock (One Night in Bankok, Easy Lover) which gave it a distinct feel, different to most other mixes of its time. This recording is actually a join of two broadcasts, my original recording suffered interference so I did a 'live pause button edit' at 1'15" when the mix was broadcast again a week later. Good deep 94fm voice overs in this one.

Last edited:

wallabyFC

Aug 17, 2013
www.oakenfoldmixes.com
And here's some history on the early days of Kiss from oakenfold's authorised biography:

As well as plugging, writing, managing, remixing and A&Ring, Paul also managed to fit a bit of DJing into his ever-expanding schedule. He was in the very first DJ roster for London's Kiss FM, which was launched as a pirate station from a house in Peckham by Gordon Mac in October 1985, and built upon the foundations laid down by other pioneering dance pirates such as Invicta and JFM. 'I brought back a sticker from the original Kiss FM in New York, and they just ripped off the logo!' says Paul. 'I had a show playing hip hop, but I didn't like talking on the mic. I realised pretty early on that it wasn't for me – one time I left the mic on when the records were playing, and I was chatting away, without realising it was going out on air. I was with Kiss for eight months or so. It was raided a couple of times during the time I was a DJ there; if they find you, the DJ gets his stuff impounded. That made me a bit wary! I had conversations with people pretty early on about having my own show at Radio One, but I made it clear that I had no intentions of doing a weekly voice show. I did later become a resident DJ on Pete Tong's Essential Mix, however.'

Excerpt from Paul Oakenfold: The Authorised Biography, by Richard Norris, 2007

wallabyFC

Aug 17, 2013
www.oakenfoldmixes.com
It was a mastermix that him and his friend Woody from school put together. A mastermix was different than a live mix in that it was pre-prepared and then played later. Mastermixes took a lot of editing and overdubbing to create. They ranged in style, some would take many records that would be featured as the foundation track within the course of one mastermix. Others would feature one backing track as the foundation.

This one with Oakenfold and Woody used 'Conway Brothers - Turn It Up (Instrumental)' as the foundation, and the rest of the records were sampled and dubbed over it.

Oakenfold actually used a mastermix as the beginning record in his 1993 Essential Mix. The one where it sounds like it's being switched between tv channels to different records. :)

wallabyFC

Aug 17, 2013
www.oakenfoldmixes.com
The one he used in the 1993 mix was 'Latin Rascals - Big Apple Production Vol. II (Genius At Work)'. The Latin Rascals were a couple of guys who really mastered the artform.

Richcolour has a site dedicated to these early mixes at mastermix.org. Check out the following link to hear some amazing ones!!

Listen: THE MIXES

If you listen to the one called Girls by Richie Rich, you can actually hear Oakenfold introduce that one on Kiss FM too :D

Last edited:

wallabyFC

Aug 17, 2013
www.oakenfoldmixes.com
Here's a discussion on the oakenfold one: Oakenfold IDs (PART 6) 1985 - tuneID.com

There's another mastermix that may have been done by Oakenfold & Woody Wood as well, it features a hip-hop beat as the foundation track. It goes by the name of Awesome (Part 2). I never did do any further research to see if it was done by Oakey. Sometime in the future I'll get around to continue research on it.