OSA Radio Advice

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

ste huxley

Jul 17, 2001
Planet E
www.huxtableshouseparty.co.uk
Howdo, need a bit of advice. When I was on the radio last night a few people got buffering probs etc, but some people were ok. I have my decks upstairs with a laptop and im connected to the net via these things called home plugs on a ethernet connection via the home electrics. Its meant to be able to handle network speeds of up to 200 mbps. Its fast and I have no probs connecting and staying online when they are used as opposed to connecting wirelessly to the router uphere which was shit! I have just done a network speed test and its running at 125mbps, thats pretty good right?

Max Value 200Mbps Home Plug, Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I will try it again next week but just wanted to run this by you lot. Maybe I could get a huge ethernet cable and run it upstairs when Im playin sat night??

The other thing I wanted to mention is that the recording of my set last night seems to be triple speed!! whats that all about?

I was expecting a bom digi digi bom MC to come in lol it was that fast!

Any advice welcome:D

Doddy

VIP Gold Member
Sep 13, 2007
Manchester
it buffers for me when my virus scanner starts on my pc or if any other programs are runnin using up cpu usage , Also if some1 else is using the internet in my house eg , Ps3 online , another laptop then it buffers for me aswell , altho i dont think that will be your problem :thumbsup: Sorry Ive not got any other ideas other than them

Sam

Aug 11, 2008
My House
I use a wired connection and don't seem to experience any problems with it. i would imagine a wired connection would be better than a wireless one. my broadcast stutters when I use other programs or the missus skype's someone half way through my mix :naughty:

i try to keep my pc running as little as poss when i'm on't radio.

you could try lowering your Simplecast output format details?
I use 128kb/s 44.1kHz stereo :|

Good luck, nice set what I caught of it... was a bit leathered

woody

I always use my ethernet cable Ste.. Wireless things just cant send the data fast enough. I can stream at 160k no problems with the wire. Dunno about the recording though :axe: It always helps to reset the router and reboot the pc before you go on, obviously making sure you have told your firewall simplecast is ok first.

Giz a bell one day and i'll run through the settings make sure they're the same as mine if you want :)

woody

I use a wired connection and don't seem to experience any problems with it. i would imagine a wired connection would be better than a wireless one. my broadcast stutters when I use other programs or the missus skype's someone half way through my mix :naughty:

i try to keep my pc running as little as poss when i'm on't radio.

you could try lowering your Simplecast output format details?
I use 128kb/s 44.1kHz stereo :|

Good luck, nice set what I caught of it... was a bit leathered

^^^ also all of that too :)

ste huxley

Jul 17, 2001
Planet E
Thanks for the replies so far guys

I did have the virus app running but it werent scanning, will turn it off anyway, nothing else is running except web browser, simplecast, will check my running processes as well

The kids were on the comp downstairs waffling shit on the shoutbox connected wirelessly to the router, hmm that shouldnt interfere but you never bloody know do you

These home plugs are setup as follows, ethernet cable out of router into a home plug, signal then goes through the mains then upstairs this is sent to another home plug, there is an ethernet cable coming out of this and its connected to my laptop. Its supposedly good enough to stream HD movies and such, i.e it is as good as an ethernet connection.

The simplecast output is recoprding at 112, so its not a huge bitrate

I will reset the router before I go on as well, good tip.

Anymore suggestions?

I am thinking of buying a 30mtr ethernet cable this week, only a few quid init

butty

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 15, 2001
Manchester
www.oldskoolanthems.com
heezy now stevie haych :D

i doubt it being the homeplug, i used to have one - that didnt work lol. but that was because i was livin in me pub then n there was 2 lots of electric

how quick is your broadband? the 125 that ya got is the speed of the homeplug network aint it?

was the pc downstairs on msn or owt else aswel? try wackin the pc off downstairs as that might fix it. some routers have issues splitting the bandwith when streaming. n crack the virus doofer off n all n hopefully itl sort it :thumbsup:

ste huxley

Jul 17, 2001
Planet E
alreet bman

The speed of the network running diagnostics was 125 yeah on the home plugs. The bband connection is up to 20meg, think we are running about 12meg download speed but upload speed werent as good when I did a speed test the other day from the laptop with homeplugs.

Yeah will try havin the pc off downstairs and see, and also turn off the virus checker.

cheers