One for you digital players out there :)

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

marty

VIP Gold Member
Well....... I've always had my Technics and my vinyl, and have had a selection of CD players from Denon and Pioneer, but at the moment am without any kit at all.

I am looking to get myself another set of Technics (hopefully the ones I know were for sale are still there when I have funds) - that's the easy part ........... my issue is what to go for, for the digital side of things?

I have never really fancied software mixing (Traktor/Serato), but it does seem to be what many many people are using nowadays. All of my new tunes are in the digital format, but I can't see the point of buying CD decks when I never use CDs. Both my Pioneers and Denons could use files direct from USB stick, but there seems to be a distinct lack of equipment on the market that is a media player with no CD mechanism.

Whatever I go for, it has to fit on my current deck stand (as I am not about to start all over again with that epic) so I need something no more than 500mm wide to go between the decks. This means I have to go for something that fits where a "normal" mixer would be, but this creates an issue where I don't have space for two "media" decks AND my laptop (which has to be there for streaming, chat, etc).

I've been looking at the Denon DN-SC6000 as it is a stand-alone 4 channel mixer, but also a controller for Traktor. I did look at the American Audio Versadeck as it seemed to be ideal (stand-alone unit so the laptop could be purely for streaming and chat, etc), but the reviews aren't that good. I have recently been looking at the Pioneer DJM-T1 and the Traktor Kontrol Z2 mixers as from what I can see they might be just the solution I am looking for ......... "proper" 2 channel mixer for when I'm using my "normal" vinyl, but can be used to control Traktor software, using timecoded vinyl.

I've read a few things on latency issues, but from the videos I have seen online, this doesn't seem to be too much of an issue for the folks using these systems.

One question I do have which hopefully someone can help me out with: how do you cue the tracks when you are using timecoded vinyl? In pretty much every video I have seen, the timecoded vinyl is left running all the time, which leads me to suspect that the timecode "tone" is a constant all the way across the vinyl. If this is the case, when you choose a track in the software, how do you start it playing - or does it play immediately if the vinyl is running??

Bit of a long drawn out post here I know, sorry about that - just going round in circles looking at different options and different bits of equipment. I actually thought the Pioneer XDJ Aero might be ideal as it is stand-alone (like having 2 x CDJs and a mixer in one unit) and I could also connect a pair of Technics to it - the problem being it won't fit on the deck stand.

Hellllllllpppp!!!!! :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy: