Observer- Legend's Warrington

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

SCR101.5

Apr 19, 2003
For those who are interested....
In the music supplement of today's Observer paper, there's a large article written by one of the former regulars of said club. Made for a nice read on a cold day- even though I never went to the club.

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
A big cheers for pointing out this SCR101.5 :thumbsup:

The article article makes for good reading, not least as it's exceptionally well written.

northern minx

Jan 10, 2003
the universe!
www.awakenUnow.com
very well written..
brought a big f**k off smile to my face, a shiver to the spine, goosebumps to the neck, but also a bitter sweet taste...

indeed legends was a top club in 90/91 - so were so many other clubs, it wasnt the clubs themselves that made it, it was all the people u met, the feeling, the vibe, really quite undescrible.. :luv: :luv:

there were a few bits from that article that struck a cord or two

The moment I walked through the door into that sweaty, dingy, pulsating, magical place I knew I'd stumbled upon something enormous and incomprehensible. It was bigger than life itself

The sight of 500 people, dancing, hugging and grinning - living the night as though it were their last, was simply mind-blowing.

thanks for this thread, enjoyed that read:thumbsup:

spiely

Oct 5, 2001
Canada
www.lufc.com
northern minx said:
very well written..
brought a big f**k off smile to my face, a shiver to the spine, goosebumps to the neck, but also a bitter sweet taste...

No what you mean. Put's you on a bit of a downer really.
Still, i wouldn't have missed those years for anything :D

northern minx

Jan 10, 2003
the universe!
www.awakenUnow.com
spiely said:
northern minx said:
very well written..

No what you mean. Put's you on a bit of a downer really.
Still, i wouldn't have missed those years for anything :D
its a wierd one really int it.. we wudnt hav missed it for anything.. best days/nites of ya life an all that... all those memories, feelings, sensations, laughs, talks of codshite til the early hours, dancing in carparks, meeting folk for the first time and they were ya best mate from then on in, and some of em even to this day:luv:
yet.. there were down sides to it.. and those dear to us that didnt make it:cry:

so yeah, bitter sweet it was..

ebay guru

Feb 7, 2004
999 letsbe avenue
Pretty Cool Article

Made Me Feel Sad But I Am Nostalgic Git. I Think Its All The 'hero's' Who All Ended Up On Skag Etc. All The People That Didn't Make It Into Anything Cause Of The Scene. i THINK ITS THE QUALITY OF THE PUBLICATION MYSELF ;)

tall paul

Sep 19, 2001
Liverpool
Top article, and a top club.........

legends.jpg

Used to absolutely love it there :luv:

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Was an alright read, seen much better though.

* reposted from the other thread in Chill Out...

Sadly she didn't have the attention to detail I love in a woman.

SLK's 'Getting Out'

It's SLD and don't you forget it.

:naughty:

Anyone read 'Disco Biscuits' ? Thought that was very good myself.
:thumbsup:

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
blue jammer said:
It's SLD and don't you forget it.
I noticed that and wondered who, off here, would pick up on it. And as it's you Blue Jammer you are hereby awarded "pedant of the month". I'll put you forward for the yearly award as well but you'll have to keep your fingers crossed as to whether you win that.

blue jammer said:
Was an alright read, seen much better though.
Can you recommend any? I take it Disco Biscuits is. Is that a factual work like the article?

Myk

Jonno said:
I noticed that and wondered who, off here, would pick up on it. And as it's you Blue Jammer you are hereby awarded "pedant of the month". I'll put you forward for the yearly award as well but you'll have to keep your fingers crossed as to whether you win that.

Can you recommend any? I take it Disco Biscuits is. Is that a factual work like the article?

I have read a fair few "factual" works Jonno. I take it you have already read Manchester, England. One I would recommend highly is Adventures in Wonderland: Decade of Club Culture by Sheryl Garratt which although similar I found much less a tedious read than Simon Reynolds'; Energy Flash: Journey Through Rave Music and Dance Culture.

As I said, if you havent already you ought to read Adventures in Wonderland.

I havent read Disco Biscuits so I can't comment.

Brass by Helen Walsh is a novel it would seem but sounds right down my street so I have pre-ordered it already, I mean for 7 quid you can't really go wrong.

Review of Brass :

Book Description
Nineteen-year-old Millie O’Reilley is, clever, spiky and adored by men – yet utterly forlorn. Even though she has the devotion of her professor father, Jerry, and the respect of the hard-knocks in South Liverpool, Millie feels a sense of growing alienation.

Increasingly disillusioned with her University course and fellow students, she seeks an escape in the underbelly of Liverpool’s Cathedral area – home to crackheads, pimps, pushers and, most intriguing to Millie, whores. And when an encounter with a world weary prostitute turns into an after hours odyssey of drink fuelled self-abuse it, ultimately, leads Millie toward questioning who she is and what she wants to get out of life.

Shockingly candid, brutally poetic, Helen Walsh has created a portrait of a city and a generation that offers a female perspective on the harsh truth of growing up in today’s Britain. Brass is an unsettling but ultimately compassionate account of the possibilities of identity and the desirability of love.

Myk

northern minx said:
my heart jus skipped a beat seein yr pic!

sent u a pm :)

Yeah my heart was doing that right through reading the article. I went to Legends a fair few times myself with a few mates from my oldskool old school (and RJ's too).....I was by no means a regular though as the Konspiracy and Thunderdome had my heart back then.

BTW I pmsl at her sly digs at The Shamen..hahaha...all so true.