New prodigy tune

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Taff

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2001
Manchester
I agree, prodigy went crap in 92 with all that jungle shit, there were 1 or 2 that were not too bad in 93, then poison in 94 which i thought was excellent, then breath which was massive, just listening to this download which quite frankly, i think is absolutely cheesy elasticated pants.

Time to hang your gloves up boys, unless this is some sort of pisstake off the new album. :(

MANC

Apr 1, 2003
Manc
Do you mean 'GIRLS'???

It got played on radio 1 last night, www.bbc.co.uk/radio1 follow links to last nights breeze block to listen.

one word (more or less)........... PROPER FUCKING WICKED AS FUCK

its like double dee & Steinski on acid. Best way to describe it :thumbsup:

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
I thought it was pretty good myself. Most of the album done on reason too from what I believe! lol.

Ive missed the whole prodigy thing over the last 8 -10 years or so, didnt buy much stuff after about 93 94.....that 'jungle shit' in 92 was what I liked them for - 1992 was the era. Music Reach, weather, etc, all proper tunage....thats what it was all about!. One love/youre no good were the last ones I got, catching up on Jericho and stuff on 12" later when I saw them cos they werent in the local area at the time.

I think once they turned that punk rock screaming fekwit into a 'frontman' they lost the plot, and my respect, okay it was a change that may have been necessary but it wound me up. I hope Liam is back on track with some phat phunky ass manouvres ans some killer riff combo's with this new stuff :)

Sirius.

AB45

Dec 31, 2003
Essex
Fookin lovin this myself! (Girls)
Think this a nod towards what Liam was about in the early dayz before rave.He was always into his Funk and hip hop.Ya gotta love the D-train style 80's funk hook in Girls -Class
Gonna be massive

just listened to Memphis Bells - :| :confused:
Oi Howlett - No! :naughty:

Last edited:

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
AB45 said:
Ya gotta love the D-train style 80's funk hook in Girls

That is one of the things the I don't like about it! It's just so blatant, if he'd chopped it up a bit, it might have sat better in there, but that just jumped out at me and made me want to hear the original.

It sounds like a really poor attempt at an electro clash track :rolleyes:

And around the 2 minute 20 seconds mark, it's annoying as fuck! deary me.

Tracklisting for the album:

01. Spitfire (ft. J. Lewis)
02. Girls
03. Memphis Bells
04. Get Up Get Off
05. Hot Ride (ft. J. Lewis)
06. Wake Up Call (ft. Kool Keith)
07. Action Radar
08. Medusa's Path
09. Phoenix
10. You'll Be under my wheels
11. The Way It Is
12. Shoot Down (ft. Oasis)

Note they haven't included that awful "Baby's got a temper" in there.

Can't say I'm looking forward to hearing Shoot Down, as Oasis suck the sweat of a dead mans balls.

The Kool Keith and Juliette Lewis tracks should be interesting at least though, but I fear it'll be a huge disappointment.

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
I know Ill get ripped for this, but I likes Oasis. I never baught any of their stuff, but I have to disagree that they 'sucked'. The tracks like Little By Little etc are extremely well made, even if you disregard the often claimed beatles chord progresions. Oasis have made some extremely defining and poignant music over the years, some of thier tracks are astounding, its just a shame they are two pillocks in thier everyday life lol.

The prodigy isnt over yet I dont think, I was a late subcriber to thier post 94 sound, but you cant argue agianst the fact thier tracks tend to be pretty phat, with a capital ph. I think they've gone for phat rather than distinct melody and are sticking to it or something, which in a day of trance a la ministry of sound etc may not be a bad thing.

Sirius.

AB45

Dec 31, 2003
Essex
blue jammer said:
That is one of the things the I don't like about it! It's just so blatant, if he'd chopped it up a bit, it might have sat better in there, but that just jumped out at me and made me want to hear the original.

It sounds like a really poor attempt at an electro clash track :rolleyes:

Agreed its blatant but that to me is the point. The kids listening/buying into to this stuff for the first time arent as exposed to artists such as D-Train and alike as much as us old farts (my daughter constantly asks me what im listening to when im havin a funk session). House/hip hop is built largely on ripping ideas and im quite happy with them using class funk acts rather than filtered disco loops like every other fookin artist lol.
Im in no way a Prodigy fan (i even told liam this to his face as ive brought studio equipment off of him a few times) but they somehow always manage to pull it off. They are the Oasis of dance music - u either Luv em or hate em.
im undecided :D