New forms of oldskool

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Spektral

Jan 24, 2019
I was just wondering what people make of the new music that's coming out which is based on the retro/oldschool sound of the 1991/1992 era and even the 93/94 eras of progressive, breaks and trance.

After about, I dunno, 2014 or so, I stopped buying records all that often.

I'd been buying them pretty much every week since 1989, I had amassed several thousand at one point, but dance music was all going to this "EDM" shite which was in my view very formula driven, cliche, paint-by-numbers and although it was often nice enough to have on in the background, it was also just bland, throwaway and too much saturation that was making dance music become not all that special to me any more.

There was the odd thing here and there I picked up new and I still bought random old tunes - but then I discovered there was this whole scene going on with a kind of acid-house and acid-laden revival kick to it. I was no doubt late to the party, but I've been buying more records again - despite them now being ridiculously expensive due to the smaller batch runs involved no doubt.

Some are absolute bobbins and some are really great - and as ever, that is a matter of taste I suppose, but although it is not all that innovative in terms of it being a rehash of the sound of yesteryear, I am actually glad to have some of it back.

Check the acid out on that last bad boy in particular. Yeah, I've been really getting back into some of this stuff. Oldskool lives on to another generation? Or is it is mostly just us old fogeys in our 45+ years harking back to what we consider dance music ought to be?

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
Think there’s always good stuff out there just knowing where to look.

These days is relatively easier to produce music compared to how it was so the main issue is there is so much out there.. where u start.

i like the bottom 2 of the above, the 2nd one reminds me of way out west and the last tune with the acid lines is the pick of em.

your right about the price of vinyl when u can probably download for nowt but nothing better than having the wax

i tend mainly just to buy old stuff and represses.. but will buy a new track if I really like it..

Ruffenuff

Nov 3, 2021
Call me old....but if anything I only like back in the day stuff now anything 1995 and under....and it's got to be on vinyl....I just can't get into the new stuff it's just noise.....god I sound like my dad back in the 90s :ROFLMAO:

My kid collects vinyl....I find the new vinyl is so thick, it's got non of the flex that the old skool stuff has.
But your right it seems really expensive to buy now....

Reactions: chinatownswhite

Albertryder

Jul 10, 2019
I do find the music from early to mid 90s has more soul to it. I’ve been picking up new vinyl - some prog house etc - but it’s a retro sound with all the edges smoothed off and it’s kinda pretty boring. New Digweed Bedrock vinyl is worth a listen… very different music these days I guess though for different crowds/ sound systems too… a lot of what some of the superstar DJs hump about bores me rigid. Slow bpms, boring transitions, and just a load of mince basically. Energy is very different

and at £13 for a new 12” release these days… 🤔 it’s more fun buying up older rarer vinyl anyway

Reactions: Ruffenuff

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
I have tried many times to get into the new stuff but it just dont work for me, there is the odd one thats ok, but nothing really grabs me, tbh there are still loads of old tracks that are unknown to most that are well worth buying

Ruffenuff

Nov 3, 2021
I'm finding now.....tunes that I didn't like back in the day....im loving now
Except Pin up girls take me away...still gets on my tits o_O

Just brought 808 state Pacific....never liked it before..love it now

Reactions: chinatownswhite

Spektral

Jan 24, 2019
I'm finding now.....tunes that I didn't like back in the day....im loving now
Except Pin up girls take me away...still gets on my tits o_O

Just brought 808 state Pacific....never liked it before..love it now
I've been getting a bit of this going on for several years now. Some things I used to find annoying or boring are now brilliant.

My musical taste was generally sound in about 1991/1992....then it went a bit cheesy and dodgy in 1993/1994/early 1995...... and now, at times when I am pulling out random tunes to play from my vast collection, some of the stuff I bought makes me cringe a bit. They still hold a place in my life, as they are part of my history....but they're not exactly cool or stood the test of time.

Whilst I was once buying something as embarrassing as House of Handbag (probably because it had what I must have thought to be a handful of okay tunes on it), The Time Frequency or Tartan Techno type stuff on the Shoop! label and Clubscene label, Happy Hardcore etc, ....I missed out on a lot of tunes that I now consider to be truly excellent by comparison, but which, back then, I'd probably not have been into even if I'd have heard them.

Take for example SLP "Supernova", the original on Skunk records. What a tune! Where the hell was I at the time when this was being played? lol.

Tunes which I used to think were okay have also in some cases now become even better, such as some of the mixes of Mombassa - Cry Freedom. I find them to be really classy productions now.