Nerves...

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Benny-Digital

Apr 20, 2006
Pink makes the boys wink....
Just wondering if people still get nervous Dj'ing out? I remember shaking like a shitting dog the first few times trying to put the needle on the rekkid! Now I just get downright excited... I'm pretty sure it's down to how serious you take it, I drop regular clangers which I laugh off, what's the point of standing there being a total stressed out wreck! It's about the enjoyment for me. Also do you reflect on a good or bad set afterwards?

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
The most nervous i've ever been was the first time I played at Debs house believe it or not. Done the bedroom and party scenes locally with mates back in the days and it was just good craic, but playing in front of people who were still pretty much strangers that I only knew from the internet and having not mixed out and about in years and I was shaking a bit at the start until I felt comfortable with my mixing and the other folk at her house.

I seem to be relaxed playing out and might only get nerves playing on the radio here for some reason, but i'm sure if I were ever to get a really big gig then i'd get the nerves and excitement combo again. Usually means going for a piss a couple of times before getting started.

Everybody must know if they were happy with their sets afterwards. That's if you care and if you don't care then what are you doing it for? I once refused to take payment from a set afterwards because I didn't think i'd done a good job playing stuff and a style outside my comfort zone, but the owner and DJ partner who set up that night insisted I take the money.

ivan

May 24, 2006
tap end of the bath
way back...in 1990 i had a regular gig at my local shirt'n'tie place. i couldn't mix for shit (still can't) but i was working on the bar and my mate who was the dj (and just as bad as me) was leaving. the owner came up and said my mate had recommended i take over because i had ALL the records. i stupidly agreed.

fading in/out wasn't a problem. the big problem was the microphone! used to get in early and start on the ale. if i hadn't had at least 5 pints by the time the punters started coming in at 9pm i would be too nervous to say anything. of course it came more naturally as time went on and there were times where the owner was telling me to shut up because i was talking too much!

the crowd were pissed, i was pissed, and everything fell into place.

reetdad

VIP Gold Member
Jan 23, 2012
legends
only play to the few who listen on osa but even that makes my arse pop but i enjoy it and could never consider playing live and the effects of crowd mood etc

fk me it would turn me to drink:thumbsup:

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
I've not played out regularly..or otherwise actually..for years, but played 2..3 times every week for 10 years, and to all sorts of crowds and places..my style is quite loose and I couldn't give a fk about a few clangs and clumps...it never bothered the dj's who inspired me to mix back in the day, I love it man and I'm always up for it...whatever "it" might be and that prob overcomes the nerves thing...I never been a nervey person though, as you say...just get excited instead....getting excited now just thinkin about it..:D

adamz

Aug 28, 2012
W-wa
I agree with you benny. When you think of mixing like having good time with YOUR music everything changes a bit. But nerves can pop out from nowhere anytime. You can't predict what's gonna happen so might as well enjoy the ride, whatever troubles might occur by.
When I play on our radio, i simply want to share the feeling i get when im listening to this miracle that we're all experiencing (music that is ;)). Makes me want to get up and dance! It's that kinda feeling you just want to spread all over humanity. With everybody. With YOU, your momma, your wife, your ex, osa crew, rp crew, boys, girls, dogs, cats, parrots.
When you're having some 'themed' mix to play live, say on wedding, then being DJ changes into real job i guess. Job of entertainer. Then nerves might become a problem but anyway, it's far away from what we're doing on this mad site lol.
And yes i always say things after live play. Pk can approve. So much sometimes it might be becoming bit annoying for what i apoligize
NO WAIT I DON'T
:D

APH

Apr 13, 2009
I`ve only played out to a large crowd once 200+, rest of the time its been mates houses, smaller house do`s and on ere of course:thumbsup:
So, when I played to this larger crowd it was back in 98, my mates birthday bash and I was shitting in my pants(not literally, you understand) but after a few decent mixes I got more into it and the rest I cant remember to be honest, just remember grabbin my next record(s) to play and punching the air whilst holding it reacting with the crowd. Everyone was dancin, so it was all good, I was the only dj that night as well.

First time I played on ere I was shittin bricks, but after a few mixes I got into it and relaxed a bit more.

Still get nervous now and again mixing on ere, but, the more you play the easier it becomes. I reckon though if you have a slight bit of nervousness its because you want to put on a good show, aint no point if your heart aint in it.

BOD

Staff member
VIP Silver Member
Sep 4, 2007
over there
Auto pilot, works for me. Get hammered and let your instincts take over, either way you will sound brill in your own head and have a bloody good time while your at it :)
In all seriousness though I will try and do a bit of prep a week before leading up to playing somewhere out. I'm happy enough to bounce off other people's enthusiasm at a house amongst friends

Last edited: