MP3 player with line in recording

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

SCR101.5

Apr 19, 2003
I want to get an MP3 player with large memory capacity that I can hook up to my mixer & directly record decent quality (320k) mixes through line in.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
My Archos plugs straight into the mixer and can record in mp3 or wav at different bit rates - including 320k, but the sound quality might not live up to your expectations:)

SCR101.5

Apr 19, 2003
My Archos plugs straight into the mixer and can record in mp3 or wav at different bit rates - including 320k, but the sound quality might not live up to your expectations:)

Cheers Jiglo- are you serious about the sound quality not living up to expectations?
Which Archos is it btw?
Cheers

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
It's an AV 440, but it's now discontinued except for here Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK and maybe a couple of other places.

I couldn't really say on the sound quality as i've never had a different player to compare it with:S

There's bound to be cheaper solutions now anyway - especially if you don't need the video side of it:)

I think you'll get better results if you do it through a pc/lappy soundcard using better software (soundforge, Audacity) though.

SCR101.5

Apr 19, 2003
Cheers for the help guys & Jiglo, I wholeheartedly agree with the laptop soundcard issue, which is why I bought a M-Audio Audiophile external soundcard a couple of years ago and was using it happily with both soundforge & in Nero Wave Editor.
Anyway, I recently swapped laptops & have downloaded drivers for the soundcard, but I can't get a signal from my mixer within soundforge, even though I have assigned the M-Audio as the main input/output device, & in Nero Wave Editor, even when on the lowest setting on my mixer, the levels are in the red.
I tried twice, rang up the help desk at M-Audio & the guy just kept on telling me to turn the input source down. I was just getting more pissed off with him, because I quite clearly couldn't reduce it anymore, because the mixer's faders were on minimum. He got peed off with me because I was telling him it was something else.
Hence the reason I want to buy something else to get me round the problem unless there is an obvious solution to my laptop problems.

Cheers for the help guys & Jiglo, I wholeheartedly agree with the laptop soundcard issue, which is why I bought a M-Audio Audiophile external soundcard a couple of years ago and was using it happily with both soundforge & in Nero Wave Editor.
Anyway, I recently swapped laptops & have downloaded drivers for the soundcard, but I can't get a signal from my mixer within soundforge, even though I have assigned the M-Audio as the main input/output device, & in Nero Wave Editor, even when on the lowest setting on my mixer, the levels are in the red.
I tried twice, rang up the help desk at M-Audio & the guy just kept on telling me to turn the input source down. I was just getting more pissed off with him, because I quite clearly couldn't reduce it anymore, because the mixer's faders were on minimum. He got peed off with me because I was telling him it was something else.
Hence the reason I want to buy something else to get me round the problem unless there is an obvious solution to my laptop problems.

LOL sounds familiar to me :D

I use line in from my mixer to my lappy to record / stream but the upfaders are barely up to get decent peaks on soundforge - I've tried pulling the sound levels down on my lappy in the control panel but still no good.

When streaming it's a right fucker & I have to mix in the cans coz I can't hear what's coming outta my speakers :axe:

SCR101.5

Apr 19, 2003
LOL sounds familiar to me :D

I use line in from my mixer to my lappy to record / stream but the upfaders are barely up to get decent peaks on soundforge - I've tried pulling the sound levels down on my lappy in the control panel but still no good.

When streaming it's a right fucker & I have to mix in the cans coz I can't hear what's coming outta my speakers :axe:

It used to be great as I said, until i got this new lappy & now it's just fucked up.
I sympathise with you shooms.