Mixing desks

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

db909

Feb 7, 2003
On Ilkley moor without a hat
It'll all depends on how many channels you need?
I find behringer stuff good value but I would say
you can't go wrong with mackie for reliability/build quality.
Cheap is not always best
You get what you pay for imo :D

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Avoid Behringer at ALL costs.

They might be cheap, but they are shit - fact.

Go for either Spirit or Mackie (which I would say at the best, esp for EQ)

I had Spirit desks since 1994 and loved them - had a 64 Chan desk when I had my studio at my mums place, and took 3 of us to carry the bastard upstairs lol - had it fixed upright to a wall ! mad.

Currently have a Mackie 24 chan desk and it's really tasty for crisp and crunchy/warm EQ.

Work out how many channels you need, you can use a patch bay to switch between synths and the likes if you find yourself running out of inputs, as a lot of older gear like TR-909 has multiple outs for each sound, so you can easily eat up chans with things like that!

Also avoid Studiomaster desks, they are poo, as are most of the small rackmount mixers 2u - 6u types, the either have no, or poor EQ and you get a lot of feedback with them.

:thumbsup:

Mayon

Aug 24, 2004
Chemical Cloud HWND
www.acidplanet.com
LMFAO nope but erm i wish it did :thumbsup: i know overload of korg gear...lol but i do have a korg account ;) after ive got the groovebox i want the new MX and SX :D and one of these bad boyz!

6a_1_b.JPG

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

AB45

Dec 31, 2003
Essex
blue jammer said:
Do you work for Korg??!! lol

:D

damn beat me to it lol:)

I agree with Bluejammers advice. I have owned both Mackie and Soundcraft (currently using a 32/8/2 spirit studio desk) and recomend either. The mackies eq is more clinical so great for a more punchy sound but i prefer the Soundcraft EQ as they give a warmer feel to the mix. But different strokes... and all that :thumbsup: . The second hand market isnt too bad on these type of things as generally people treasure their desks so most will be in good nick (always check though lol). Id personally save a bit more and spend it on something you wont wanna change in 6 months :thumbsup:

good monitors are crucial also but we wont go there lol