Mark Moore - Love Of Life, Cambridge 1995

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

henryvilla

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2010
Mark Moore - Love Of Life, Cambridge 1995

I'm interested to see any Love Of Life flyers or ads from this period. The only LOL flyers I can find are hardcore nights. Scott have you got any from 1994-1996 featuring House DJs?

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/eruvl9w7q3stw9n/Mark+Moore+-+Love+Of+Life+1995.mp3/file

Mark Moore - Love Of Life 1995 Cover.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac The Ripper 🍴

henryvilla

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2010
thanks for sharing this Henry ;) I dont think these are from Love Of Life club nights, like you say they were hardcore nights, strange their using the same logo on house tapes
Yeah it's a bit odd. I wonder where they were all recorded, as there are sooo many of them!

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
Ive had a look through my flyers got 3 LOL ones all hardcore djs, one does say house garage djs upstairs none ive heard of, and the flyers are not from 95...

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
Tbh I think this about the bangkok sets, loads of sets, but no flyers etc..
Which is very odd for the amount of sets put out.
Ive been intouch with some guy in cov regarding the bangkok later sets, hes said will get bk to me in the new yr..

Chunky

Mar 21, 2006
I think that many of them were promos. I suspect that the people producing them had managed to connect with many DJ's and encouraged them to create mixes for them. I reckon that the DJ's would either record a mix, at home or live, then send it to the people producing the mixtapes, who would then add artwork and sell them to record and clothing shops. The producer would make a few pounds and the DJ would get exposure, which they all wanted back then.

brady

VIP Silver Member
Oct 26, 2001
Scottish Borders
www.tracklistings.co.uk
yeah you could be right Chunky, most DJs worked with booking agencies so demo tapes were more than likely sent out to secure bookings & live sets were more than likely recorded without the DJs knowledge.

I guess we'll never know the real story behind all these mixtapes as most were made by unknown people, probs to dodge copyright & tax

Chunky

Mar 21, 2006
TBH Scott, your comments were on point. I don't think that trading standards gave 2 shits as to whether mixtape packs were legally compliant. It is far easier to deal with the one or two artists that were so disgruntled they would even bother to contact Dreamscape demanding royalties. If you look at the sleeve notes to one of the Tyrant CD's, they actually apologise that they failed to get the track cleared and ask the artist to please make contact with them. Most dance music artists would be so happy to know that their track was played at a massive rave, or by someone like Sasha, they wouldn't give a fuck about the few hundred pounds that they might have got.

brady

VIP Silver Member
Oct 26, 2001
Scottish Borders
www.tracklistings.co.uk
late 95

00:00 Chapter 9 feat Colonel Abrams - Youre The One For Me [Ouch!]
04:30 Chaka Boom Bang - Tossin And Turnin
08:50 ? "hey hey"
14:40 Tak Tix - Feel Like Singing (Strip Down Club Mix)
19:00 Donna Giles - And Im Telling You Im Not Going (Donna In Dub) sounds like Ultra Flava
24:00 Q-Club - Tell It To My Heart (French Subway Remixed)
27:20 Individual - Skyhigh
34:00 Waveshape - Goodtime (Original Mix)
38:40 Eddie Lock & The SMC Project Vs Dave Valentine & Self Preservation Society - The DJ Dubs
43:40 Alcatraz - Give Me Luv
50:00 Real McCoy - Automatic Lover (Call For Love) (Armand's NYC-Miami Mix) [Logic]
57:40 ? horns
65:20 Judy Cheeks - Reach (Quivver's Amytiville Dub)
69:30 Crescendo - Are You Out There
73:50 ? familiar
80:00 Sueno Latino presents Valeria Vix - Viciosa (In Progress Mix)
86:00 Pizzaman - Sex On The Streets (Tall Paul & Tin Tin Out Goodfello's Mix)

Last edited:

brady

VIP Silver Member
Oct 26, 2001
Scottish Borders
www.tracklistings.co.uk
story about mixtapes from DJ Magazine July 1992

DJ mixtapes - Under the counter culture. is anybody making a packet from the racket?
Roger Foldes-Wood looks into the increasing popularity of DJ mix tapes. Are they kosher or simply a rip off??

Rave Tapes

DJ mix tapes are nothing new
. Copies of Tony Humphries radio show have always been sought after. However the huge popularity of hardcore has meant that they are no longer just passed around mates but mass produced flogged to a slobbering public. It is not difficult to see why they are so popular, At around £7 a time they cost less than two 12"s, for 90 minutes of perfectly mixed upfront hardcore by your favourite DJ superstar, and if you're really lucky you get an MC telling you how to get the most out of your music. One record shop assistant gave another reason for their popularity "People get embarrassed coming in and saying 'I don't know who it's by but it's got some bird singing Ecstacy in it'. For every aspiring DJ who wants to buy the records there are ten people who couldn't give a toss what it's called or who it's by, just as long as it's hard and fast. Also people get frustrated when they can't buy the records because it's only on promo, if it's a big tune then it's bound to be on one of the tapes a few weeks before it's released."

so we've established that these things are popular and 'what the kids want'. So are the purveyors of said items (usually the rave promoters) simply doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. Well no, they're actually making a lot of money out of it. (However it must be said that a few of the organisations we spoke to don't allow tapes of their events to be sold.) The entrepreneurial spirit, or greed depending on how you view it, has always been rife in the rave business. The tapes cost between 50p to £2 to produce depending on the numbers copied. They are usually taped straight from the mixing desk, although some are put on to DAT for better reproduction. We found that some groups actually pay the DJs for the tapes, usually between £100 to £150. However one asked replied "Don't they make enough as it is. They get about £400 for an hour, how much more do they want." The outlets are given the tapes on a sale or return basis usually for a fiver and marked up to £7 for Joe Raver. So the punter's got his 'memory of the night' the record shops make a couple of quid, the promoters have got their name about and made a few quid, but what about the artists royalties? er later mate, later.

Surely though it can't be a good thing for record shops to sell them, isn't it detracting from sales of records? One record shop owner told us "At the moment most independent record stores are finding it difficult to keep their heads above water. For many small shops money from tapes and ticket commission for raves is a godsend. As they're all on sale or return there is no risk for us in terms of getting stuck with them. These tapes are our answer to the big chain stores. We'll never be able to sell as many copies of a big compilation as them, but we have been known to sell a hundred tapes on a good day."

What about record companies, do they feel these tapes are losing them sales? We found the general attitude to be very laid back. Many saw it as a good means of promotion. "If a track's been buzzing around on a tape for a while, it's reached a much wider audience. Kids are still going to want to buy it because most of the tunes on tapes are so cut up you'll never get the whole track. Also people go into shops with tapes and ask what certain tunes are, that can't be a bad thing." One person compared it to a record pool, "You hear all the new tunes, out of 90 minutes people are going to want to buy about 3 or 4 tracks. it still just boils down to quality product standing out."

How do the stars of the show, the DJs themselves, feel about their mixing skills being flogged. Reactions are generally quite nonchalant. "Its quite a compliment to know that people want to buy a tape of you, but it can be a bit annoying, knowing that every mix you do is down on tape being scrutinized. If you have an off night there's not a lot you can do to stop the tapes going out and you'll then be judged on that." One deck wizard went a bit bleary eyed and reminisced "There's very little sacred anymore, before if you did a particularly good mix or something special, people who were there might talk about it, it was part of the whole experience of actually being there, now if you do something a bit different it's all over the place within a week. I've heard warn-up DJs copying bits of my set, exactly. On the subject of money the general consensus was that is someone's making money out of your name and your talent, you deserve a cut, but in general there's not a lot you can do if someone does do them."

One subject we haven't yet mentioned is that they're completely illegal. They are not licensed and subsequently don't pay any royalties. However monitoring these tapes would be impossible. As one promoter put it "There are so many white labels and imports mixed in they would never be able to track down everything in there. Plus they're so popular now they've become an accepted part of the whole rave culture. If they did crack down, people would just start selling them under the counter, we'd find some other way of flogging them." The advertising of tapes these days has become more and more blatant, but as yet we couldn't find any shops who had any difficulty with the law. And anyway people have been taping off the radio for years.
With the public having more choice than ever (in one shop there were over 30 titles to chose from), producers of these things will have to start improving the quality of them to keep the money rolling in. The discerning raver will soon get fed up with just a blur of hiss and bass. One thing is for sure, these tapes are here to stay and there is very little the powers that be can do about them, Ravers love em, promoters love em. I just wish they wouldn't wind the windows down when they play it so bloody loud in their cars.

Reactions: k00lworld

Chunky

Mar 21, 2006
Thanks Scott, it was an interesting read. It was kinda how I always thought it worked.

D

Deleted member 56215

A lot of The Edge tapes were released years after the club had closed weren't they? The quality of some were so poor too - I remember taking a couple back to Music Junction in Leamington Spa for a refund!

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
A lot of The Edge tapes were released years after the club had closed weren't they? The quality of some were so poor too - I remember taking a couple back to Music Junction in Leamington Spa for a refund!
Yes there were some real bad copys put out, I also remember on some they had tried to mute the mc out but ya could still hear the mc but also a noise ...

For me one of the worst recordings that came out were the Chuff Chuff - Wild West Carnival tapes, the sound was shocking, at first I thought it was my tape player playing up, took them bk same again & again ...

D

Deleted member 56215

Yes there were some real bad copys put out, I also remember on some they had tried to mute the mc out but ya could still hear the mc but also a noise ...

For me one of the worst recordings that came out were the Chuff Chuff - Wild West Carnival tapes, the sound was shocking, at first I thought it was my tape player playing up, took them bk same again & again ...
I liked The Edge because they removed the MC, but you could still hear them mumbling when the music stopped. I bought one that sounded like an LFO to Low-pass-filter had been applied to the entire tape - up and down constantly! I took that back for a refund. I had a Mark EG @ The Edge where the records keep skipping all the way through - I don't know if the decks were f**ked on the night or something, but the tunes were so good I kept it anyway! The man who ran The Edge is doing a long stretch in prison for importing drugs, 20 years I think - apparently the club was a front for his criminal activities!

notloboldschool

Dec 17, 2016
Manchester
19:00 Donna Giles - And Im Telling You Im Not Going (Donna In Dub) sounds like Ultra Flava

Fooking toon!! A mate of mine who did not even really like house, used to love this on a Alllister Whitehead mix and play it in his car, lol. The rest were all big anthems in the temple in 96 and 97, thanks for sharing!