Manchester Congestion Charge

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

misstickle

Apr 2, 2004
upgraded to Didsbury!
I am completely indecisive about this one!

Personally the congestion charge benefits me as I don't drive and rely greatly on public transport which can often let me down lol..Plus my daughter will be able to get safe (and possibly free) transport to school.

However, the average worker suffers highly from our current tax situation and already pays council and road tax that should help to fund public transport...

So i'm interested in hearing whether you lot are voting or not. And if so, which way are you voting? and how will the charge affect you?

Vote YES! To Improve Public Transport In Greater Manchester
Stop the Charge !

Has it worked in london to lower traffic (er-no-its still busy as fuck). I just think people will just pay and still come into town in their cars...like its £6+ a day parking...thats more than most would ever pay to get into town and peeps still do it in favour of stupidly busy and exspensive public transport. Why not pay a little more for ur car where u get a seat, music on, u can smoke and u dont have to stop every 2 mins. u can go in comfort. pubic hair transport is pants man...pants

I just think its a sneaky way to get more money tbh. Untill we have roads on top of roads or flying cars 5th element style, the congested roads are just going to get worse and worse and worse I reck.

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
voting No. I dont choose to drive to Manc, more often then not there aint an option.

And Londons public transport isnt deregulated, why should taxpayers prop up private companies like the gmpte?
If a pravately owned bus route dont make money, then that run wont happen, the shareholder demands a return. thats basic economics.
so youll get taxed to fuck for usin a car and still have a shit public transport system. dead fair.

Sheikh Yerbouti

Jan 4, 2008
Some**** Somewhere in Summertime
Has it worked in london to lower traffic (er-no-its still busy as fuck)

err yes, it has actually.
It's nothing like as "busy as fuck" as it used to be.
I lived there for 10 years (before & after the CC) and have worked there for more years than I care to remember.

It would be lovely if the public at large could be trusted to use their cars efficiently and only as necessary, making use of public transport where possible to reduce congestions in town and city centres.

Unfortunately they can't. We are all habitually lazy as fuck and love taking our cars everywhere, and to hell with the cost and the environmental impact.
Loads of people will citre examples of "but I do this" and "but I do that", but unfortunately that is the trend across society as a whole.

One way to make people think twice about taking their car into town, is to charge them for the privilege.

So, yes, in principle I support the congestion charge.

I do think there needs to be more work done on how it's implemented though, and there should be transparency on the revenue numbers, and where the money goes.

:thumbsup:

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
ill be voting no!

at the moment i wont be affected by the charge if it comes into force as i dont work in the centre and very rarely go into manc except nights out etc and if i do its only a quick jib on the train

im waiting on the heads up wether im moving jobs into the centre and ill still be voting no if i do!!

no matter what we do we will never see a dramatic differance on traffic easing off or the public traffic improving vastly enough straight away!!!

by this time we will all be being ripped off as per usual and paying the CC will just become an everyday thing!

I always get lost driving round Manc & normally do the ringroad dosie-do until I get dizzy lol :$

If I'm going to the centre then I normally prefer to get the tram in... it's so easy :)

Likewise in that there Lunnon I absolutely love the public transport... you can shoot across town so much easier on the tube & if you want to look at stuff then the buses are great :) The night buses are an experience in their own right :pixie: :fekked: :crazy: :thumbsup:

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
I have voted no for the simple reason that currently the taxes we pay on the roads in fuel etc does not go back into our transport system at present so why would this be any different?

Also in London Millions of pounds remains unpaid from foriegn tourists and workmen so once agin the law abiding citizen suffers.

Finally when the Metrolink was introduced it was said any profits would be put back into it; have you been on the met in rushour recently> Its a joke- the congestion charge will mean double sized trams by 2010 but they are needed now; and if the charge comes in do you seriously believe that double sized trams will be enough??- In a word no. Also the stations have become 3rd world in there appearence.

Ride the Sheffield tram system and see how it should be.

If monies had been correctly invested over the years we would not be in this mess now- Vote NO

tricky nicky

Sep 18, 2006
in heaven of course!!
im voting a big fat no!!!!!
i dont travel to manc that often but am thinking of the low paid workers that do!!
also as someone on another site put its another way of the big brother state to keep tracks on peoples activities!!!
people pay enough taxes on stuff for the government to be able to afford to do the work, also if local authorities didnt waste so much money on shite they could contribute.
our local authority has just paid a company to change the signage for oldham at a cost of 100,000.00!!!!! its a bleedin blue circle??????????????????and then there is the cost of changing websites, papers and unifroms to incorporate this logo!!!:mad:

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
Aye... £70000 to illuminate the Town Hall here at night, with all singing, all dancing planet saving LED technology.... Errrr if saving the fucking planet is such an issue, why not just leave the **** as it is? Le mans crescent and victoria square are a fucking ghost town anyway after 6pm, thanks to the councils interference.... Shops closed and boarded up due to rediculous business rates and other crippling factors such as punitive parking legislation, barking mad road planning schemes.

And fuck knows what that pointless arch over nelson street cost.... the gateway to bolton my arse, no fucker apart from alchies in the York and kids for the skate park would ever use nelson street... Best part was when the structural engineers said that the existing rail bridge would take the addition of the arch, and minutes after its erection the whole fucking road had to be closed due to the new arch tearing the old bridge that had served for hundreds of years out of its foundations!

Trust the Public with conscientious use of transport Sheik? How about trusting Public Servants with the conscientious use of tax payers moneys?

Sheikh Yerbouti

Jan 4, 2008
Some**** Somewhere in Summertime
Trust the Public with conscientious use of transport Sheik? How about trusting Public Servants with the conscientious use of tax payers moneys?

2 things...

1) How Bureaucrats spend tax dollars is a thread on it's own, I reck... A board on it's own, even... In fact, fuck it, there's enough material there for a whole mother nother fucking interpleb :thumbsup:

2) In my other post I did say I have issues with how the congestion charge money is used, and that it needs to be transparent. Certainly they should not just blindly copy what happened in London.

:thumbsup:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
doesnt rally affect me tbh but id still vote no, peeps are stink eough as is it, what with the current climate its hard enough as it is with out getting charged left right and centre, theyre doing it all wrong in my opinion theres other ways of getting money in with out making people and business' suffer :thumbsup:

li'l Sonz

Apr 27, 2005
Manchester
www.myspace.com
You can't compare it to London anyway as like U31 said, the transport isn't deregulated and all works together (lol) and also we can't have an underground in Manchester can we? I'm sure someone said it's to do with the sewerage system in place..... So you have to go above ground which means only being able to improve public transport so much. And not really being able to do anything about how bad the time keeping is.....

I don't see how they can say all these improvements will be made and expect people to trust them. The only way it'd work is if you had good systems in place and then maybe people would think twice about voting no. You pay so many taxes as it is, bloody road tax. I'd like to see where it all goes, the roads are shocking!! :naughty: :crazy:

I'm going to vote no. :)

x