Last Rhythm/Accapella

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

grover

Jun 5, 2003
gotta say i love the silvie carter version

but.... plutes old bean that vocal version that steve proctor played back at yours was pretty good too need to ask him for the deets at the boat party :thumbsup:

it's a 10" record that he made himself..... i think only 2 were made... dave seaman and himself are the only ones with the vinyl

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
I think about 99% of pellas over tunes sound terrible. They're hardly ever in the same key and they never fit properly as they were never meant to go together. Devious's link being a great example. lol soz!

Very occasionally though, someone comes up with one that goes perfect. Blue Jammer did one a while back, think it might have been with Belfast??? :thumbsup:

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
I think about 99% of pellas over tunes sound terrible. They're hardly ever in the same key and they never fit properly as they were never meant to go together. Devious's link being a great example. lol soz!

Very occasionally though, someone comes up with one that goes perfect. Blue Jammer did one a while back, think it might have been with Belfast??? :thumbsup:

Deffo agree there, its the key that always clashes with stuff, vocals and piano are never in the correct key as they belong to other tracks which have been sung in a different key, a lot of people I think are just tone def ;) hehe

Belfast thing I did had the vocals from Paris Brightledge - It's Alright over it, one of a couple that work well.

IMO people should put acca's over tracks that don't contain ANY piano, wouldn't sound as bad then phones:

Oldskool

Feb 17, 2007
last rhythm is a unique tune, don't fuck about with it ....end of

I would have to totally disagree as the mix I do with it is class. And not just because its mine, the chord changes & breaks match perfect.
You have to work the acapella abit in and out but it comes together.
Check it Out

Ignore the scratching, just messin about as I aint been on me decks for a while:$

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Devious

Mar 28, 2003
Bolton
www.devious.me.uk
I agree that a lot of accapellas sound bad :p They are very often out of key and which makes you cringe in a club, or when listening to them on tapes, even though you like both the main tune and the accapellas main tune.

I dont agree that the Last-rhythm-Santuary of love mix is an example of that, I must need my ears cleaning i guess but i dont hear any real problem with key, and it would get a dancefloor going mad, which its all about really rather than musical perfection.

I also agree in a way that Last Rhythm should be left on its own, but with an instrumental master piece like that your always going to get accapellas over it.

As for the Belfast-Alright , yes that is good, but imo the vocal isn't one of the most uplifting ones, alright goes over most tunes, without any key problems.

And, btw i rate Belfast higher on my top 10 than last rhythm. :D

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
I dont agree that the Last-rhythm-Santuary of love mix is an example of that, I must need my ears cleaning i guess but i dont hear any real problem with key, and it would get a dancefloor going mad, which its all about really rather than musical perfection.

True, I'm sure it would get a dancefloor rocking, as most people would probably neither care or be able to tell that it was out of key!

I'm just a fussy bastard lol

Going off that link, the pella is playing in D minor, and Last Rhythm is in C minor

blandy

Nov 9, 2005
Just listened to a Rick Isted mix, has the original Last Rhythm - Last Rhythm then at the breakdown near the end he brings in Last Rhythm and Silvie Carter - Last Rhythm (vocal mix). It made me think that Last Rhythm should of released it as one whole song about 10 minutes long. It would of been the best tune ever (Last rhythm original is probably the best oldskool song anyway!)

Paulys mix of When doves cry over Last Rhythm is a bit spesh :thumbsup:

The art of a good chocolatier is not just layering pellas (which is easy enough) but layering *real* songs n not fucking it up...

A couple I enjoy doing lots are

Hardfloor - Acperience n Cyndi Lauper - Time after time
Booker T n the MGs - Soul Limbo (aka BBC cricket theme) n Salt n Peppa - Push It
Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray n Cyndi Lauper - Girls just wanna have fun :)
Ian Dury n the Blockheads - Hit me with your rhythm stick n Jackson 5 - I want you bacj
Beltram - Energy Flash n Talking Heads - Once in a lifetime
Beltram - Energy Flash n Chas n Dave - Rabbit

Experimentation rules :D

i've said it before and i'll say it again....... i just don't know how you do it Shooms!!!:D :cool: :thumbsup:

Now this mix DOES take some beating!phones: :D

LOL :D Nice one :D

I'm gonna get me arse kicked into gear to redo n record that mix this week :)

All I need are Pauly's rellies reaching over n stopping the deck dead n saying 'you got anything for us oldies' when Energy Flash was goin off lol :|

Danny

Jul 22, 2002
London, UK
www.ketoloco.com
LOL :D Nice one :D

I'm gonna get me arse kicked into gear to redo n record that mix this week :)

All I need are Pauly's rellies reaching over n stopping the deck dead n saying 'you got anything for us oldies' when Energy Flash was goin off lol :|

haha, they loved energy flash!! I distinctly remember Pauly's mam saying to me 'I know this one - what's it called again?' as the beats started firing in!! Then she took off to the dancefloor!:cool:

now where's my motherf*ckin toast?:D

Biskit

Jun 7, 2002
Chorley
www.chorley.fm
i have to agree, last rhythm needs to be left alone. :)

n so do some of the songs mentioned in this thread above me.

Blue Jam not a bad mash, what made you think to put the 2 together, coz to me, i would think not to touch 'belfast', some tunes shouldnt be messed with, but ur mash is ok, probs coz both tunes have that melancholy feel to em :)