Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

fugjostle

Oct 12, 2001
Leek
www.fugjostle.com
Howdo...

anyone recommend some cheap places to buy a laptop from? I'm after summat simple that I can watch DVD's on - summat with at least 80Gb diskspace (bigger == better) and probably at least 1Gb memory so that I can run a few apps. Wireless included would be great.

Any recommendations for a cheap purchase would be great !!

---
f.

fugjostle

Oct 12, 2001
Leek
www.fugjostle.com
We have been buying loads of Acer ones at work. Really good for cheap price.

Strange of you asking this kinda question like!

I keep missing eBay auctions at the missus so I want a laptop so i can get online when I want - she has a WAP so life could be good.

Got a link to the acer ones your buying? They sound like the ticket :thumbsup:

fugjostle

Oct 12, 2001
Leek
www.fugjostle.com
im after a lappy also but no way do i understand all this wireless shite:$

im on ntl broadband, if i get a wireless lappy do i have to tell them, or get a special connection or something???:$ :condom:

i wana get rid of my pc for a lappy

I is happy to get a refurbished one :thumbsup:

Nics, you'll need a wireless access point and typically it will be device that NTL provide. Yours might already support it... if not, then you can buy a cable wireless modem or ask NTL for an upgrade :thumbsup:

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
I is happy to get a refurbished one :thumbsup:

Nics, you'll need a wireless access point and typically it will be device that NTL provide. Yours might already support it... if not, then you can buy a cable wireless modem or ask NTL for an upgrade :thumbsup:

i asked ur IT dept and they told me the same thing,

ive tried to get hold of ntl to no avail, also looked on the website and it foesnt mention anything about wireless..................the only thing i did find out was that im being ripped off for my broadband!!:mad: im paying the £17.99and apparantly i should be getting the 2meg..........so why am i still on the basic 512!!!!!

some buggers gonna get it............when i eventualy get thru!!

does BT do wireless broadband?

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
Stick with NTL Nics, they are being re-branded as 'Virgin' in Feb and the prices will come down ;)

:thumbsup:

i though they was merging with telewest???

i contacted ntl, and they dont do woreless.........they can come out n install something but they wont maintain it:confused:

think i'll hang around and see what the new year offers.....

might check out bt like fuggy suggested and see if i can get an offer with my phoneline aswell:thumbsup:

fugjostle

Oct 12, 2001
Leek
www.fugjostle.com
might check out bt like fuggy suggested and see if i can get an offer with my phoneline aswell:thumbsup:

You get a web phone with free weekend and evening calls :thumbsup: Downside is that you have to buy the phone which is £40ish.

I wouldn't recommend changing the NTL device but you can buy a wireless router from about 30 squid from one of the following places:

Overclockers UK
eBuyer
Dabs

Connect your PC and NTL box into the router - jobs a good un' :thumbsup:

---
f.

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
i though they was merging with telewest???

i contacted ntl, and they dont do woreless.........they can come out n install something but they wont maintain it:confused:

think i'll hang around and see what the new year offers.....

They did merge with Telewest, but Virgin has bought them both out and it'll change in Feb.

I'd do the NTL 3 pack jobby, phone, telly internet with em as if ya do that the phone line is free, saves paying BT's high price line rental :thumbsup:

I used to have ntl TV but cancelled it about a year back and they have just given it me free for a year as I've got net/phone - sweet :D