January Gym Rush

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Sprewell

Oct 25, 2003
Madchester
Its january and every man and his dog has joined a gym.

Speaking to people and even reading a few threads on here everyone wants to either lose weight or get buff in boys cases.

Who is it for yourself or the opposite sex?

I know a lot of my friends want to get buff or muscly. But do you women really like this?

I know that i would prefer a more curvaceous women and a lot of other guys do as well so why are girls who already thin desperate to get even more thinner?

Maybe its the media which is influencing people.

What do you find more attractive in the opposite sex.

Does body come into it or is the age old saying the personality is what counts true?

I suppose in 2 months time the majority will have shut up about getting fit and be back to normal.

amymars

Apr 28, 2006
Standish
I know a lot of my friends want to get buff or muscly. But do you women really like this?

What do you find more attractive in the opposite sex.

Does body come into it or is the age old saying the personality is what counts true?

Good topic.

I hate muscle men. I also hate skinny men. I like men with a bit of extra padding to keep me warm in bed. Seriously. It usually means they enjoy their food and aren't too vain. Which is good. All my boyfriends have been much bigger than me, and I like it. Personality counts the most, and when it comes to looks, Im not too arsed about body - its all in the face. :)

tucker2005

Aug 29, 2005
Eccles
haha ppl keep telling me to go the gym to lose my beer belly. to be honest though im not to arsed about it. Id say i look better with abit of baby fat

lou-lou

Mar 28, 2004
Manchester

I know that i would prefer a more curvaceous women and a lot of other guys do as well so why are girls who already thin desperate to get even more thinner?

i reckon you shud just be how you wanna be, coz there will always be someone out there who likes u as you are (typical comment i know but its true) :)

Personally im not keen on massively muscley men, yea a bit of muscle is nice deffo, but say i liked someone, i wouldnt dismiss them just coz they wernt toned up.

Also what ya said about women desperate to be thinner, true some are when they have no need to loose any more weight, but you gotta understand, some girls just wanna loose that little bit to make them feel right. Say you'd always been 10 stone but now you were 10 st 11 lb and felt big bigger than normal, u'd wanna get back to what you were, even if other people cant tell you can just tell yourself :)

Joey BSide

Dec 13, 2006
Sleazers Palace. LE4 2 Tha Floor
I joined a gym 5 years ago after an operation to aid recovery. Wasn;t long before I was bit by the bug to workout and release those o so happy endorphins,one thing led to another and I started to bulk up in size and got pretty big although this was not with the aid of steriods or anything stupid. Anyways answer to the first question is surely down to the choice of the individual. Some women will like muscle, some won't. It's the same as men liking brunettes, some will find blondes sexy. However I did notice an increased erm.....shall we say sucess rate when I was bulging in the arms and chest

Dj Britalian

Nov 19, 2001
On the edge
I was watching shameless last night & oh my god, how awful does lippys mrs look, she is a rake :| That to me is just as bad as being really obease for sure :naughty:

I joined the gym back in june last year after quitting the fags, at first i needed something to take my mind of them & also to try & get fit again as i couldnt even get up the stairs without collapsing :$ I also had a gut that had been sat there since about 1998.

Theres nothing better than having a good workout, a swim then a jacuzzi to help you feel good :love:

Speaking of which i am off there now :thumbsup:

'Shabba'

Mar 3, 2003
Sniffing glue........again!
Jeees, tell me about it, i've just been for a swim which i do weekly all through the year and it was packed with women who'd obviously decided this is the year they lose two stone although i guess they went through the same process last year!!!

I might give it a miss til February, it'll be nice and quiet again by then i reck:D

lou-lou

Mar 28, 2004
Manchester
Jeees, tell me about it, i've just been for a swim which i do weekly all through the year and it was packed with women who'd obviously decided this is the year they lose two stone although i guess they went through the same process last year!!!

I might give it a miss til February, it'll be nice and quiet again by then i reck:D

haha. im gonna start back swimming again next week, been goin for about a year before xmas and im dreddin it in this cold weather to be honest :S , went dance last night and you could tell id had a couple of week off that too :crazy:

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
Ridiculously huge musclemen would be a bit of a turn off probably, and maybe just as much for the fact they'd be needing to work so hard / be dedicated to keep it that way and if that interferes with them being able to lark about or be spontatneous ... as in "ooh no i couldnt possibly have a 'neck a full bottle of Baileys through a funnel ' race with ya..do you KNOW how many calories are in it, and it would fook up my protein: carbs ratio for the day!" :eek: :naughty:
:rolleyes:

Those types who are well OTT and win all the competetions etc just look gross IMO , especially the women :eek: :D
If you see a grossly over muscly bloke in a club or whatever I usually think yuk! and or presume (sorry, naughty i know :$) that he'd be a right vain git!

A bit of definition is nice. Stength is nice. Staying healthy is important. Being a gym bore isn't.

Its more about the personality and an attraction, thats what gets you hooked. :thumbsup:

easty

Aug 3, 2006
newton heath
www.myspace.com
I been goin gym for 2 years now, dont get any bigger, then I fukked all up when i finished college last year and got back on the bud. I only used the sauna then which I had to fukk off completely as my excema got that bad towards the end of th year, fukked the bud off again now and the excemas cleared up and i will b back at gym nxt saturday:thumbsup:

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
I went to the gym for the first time over the holiday break, but its been on the cards for a while as Ive been doing a bit of basic stuff at home.

I do think women like muscles on a man, despite what they say, lol, but thats not my reason for doing it should I continue. For me, its more about feeling confident. Feeling confident about my body a bit more, feeling a bit healthier, getting me away from the PC, and quite importantly for me feeling able to "handle" situations with some of our country's counterparts (I shant expand on that, but Im sure some of you (like LeeDJ) know what Im talking about) in the future or in confrontational situations on transport or on the street, because its a increasing situation be it chavs or whoever.

Getting to the 'no neck' stage isnt what Ive in mind lol. Im like Pencil now, so if I can get to chunky pen stage that will do, Im not aiming for the marker pen stage......

Depends if I can keep the will power going.

Sirius

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
muscles on a man does not interest me one bit, and i certainly dont go for the pretty boy type, always in the mirror etc......

to me beauty is more than what you look like on the surface, its the personality and the way they are etc......

im a "curvaceous" woman and i love what ive got and i am totaly comfortable with myself, but this year i am taking the steps to be a bit fitter, not because i want to change who i am or make people like me more etc..... i just think we arnt getting any younger and we can always be that bit healthier etc... if i lose the weight then its a bonus, but im not gonna get disheartened if im not a size 10 in a months time......:he she:

people like me for who i am and thats how i look at people.:love:

i think its totaly wrong that men think they have to beef up to impress us ladies........but with us women, they think they have to be stick thin to get a good looking bloke.........i guess its just society that make people feel like that.

i also think its totaly wrong that men beef up as a form of protection if they get into a spot of bother.........the bigger man will always walk away, but its not always as simple is it!!!:ba:

LeeDJ

Dec 31, 2001
Bradford
I beleive that like your body, you must maintain a healthy and consistent balance between what its designed to be and what you as a person feel you should look like.

I have been a gym-rat for straight 5 years, before which I thought it was for ego heads! And was more concerend with what was happening inside internet-land!

The difference with the Gym for me personally is it helped me in life to gain control of my thoughts & feelings and created a discipline around my life - yes the carb/protein/fat ratio became important to me - however not to the extreme that some people goto - and also helped me learn more about how your body works

Which frankly is an amazing chemical balance machine.

I always like to encourage people to join a gym and set realistic goals and to always take visual feedback from the mirror, rather than the scales! Its a good hobby that with a bit of dedication, you can achieve and continue achieving whatever you set your standards at.

As a by-product you lose fat, build strength, produce hormones, energise & revitalise your body and gain/tone muscle - which for your longeivity is what you owe your body.

Anyone thats joined in January - this is the biggest step, stick at it and with 2-3-4 times a week it wont be long until you are on the path to gym-addiction :)

:turn:

Oh and as for Sirius - its not bad packing a bit of size when your postcode is BD3, may as well be in Jalalabad

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
i also think its totaly wrong that men beef up as a form of protection if they get into a spot of bother.........the bigger man will always walk away, but its not always as simple is it!!!:ba:

No, its not always that simple........two things which have personally promted me to think this way include real life scenario's like these:

1) I was walking though a rather 'out the way' part of the town one late afternoon, shoppers had quietened off alot, and this place is a shortcutish type way through two edge of town shopping 'precincts'. It is used, but youd only get one person or so going through every 15-20 minutes on a quiet day.

Id parked the car nearby, and was walking towards this area to get to the said shops. I heard yelling/shouting, as I got nearer I see this white girl who was about 15/16 years old and on her own and in the distance, 5 asian lads hollering after her (you see I didnt know whether they knew her or not), then it got crude like "get your top off for us" etc and she was ignoring them and heading towards the trainstation. Im left thinking shit, this could get very scary for the girl, Im the only one about, but what can I do? theres five of them and one of me, and they tend to carry knives around here, but on the other hand I cant leave her to it, or, thirdly, she might know them from school or college and its just banter...."hey, we just wanna talk to you! wait!" etc too.

I ended up just walking past, and as I walk past I hear them uttering disgusting sexual comments about this girl and calling her a cheap slut quietly amongst themselves (I wont repeat what was said). I decided to hang around within eyeshot to watch what was happening as they caught her up, with my mobile ready just incase theres any bother and still in short distance to wade in there if need be. There was more shouting, arguing, she told them to piss off, they followed her to the empty station like intimidation (they werent catching the train) and then after about five minutes they just went off thier own way.

Ofcourse, you run though many scenario's after the event....things you should have done, or said, like approach the girl and ask if she needs help, or wade in there and ask "if theres a problem", whatever.....

.......but Im not sure women can understand how that type of situation can make a man feel. You feel useless, you feel scared that you might have to tackle these 5 lads, or knowing those particular types they would be on the mobile phone quick smart and another 15 or 20 would arrive in the space of 3 minutes. Knowing that you couldnt handle yourself, or stop this lass or any other lass getting such shit from lippy and cocky pieces of shit does grate on me.

2) Again, shopping in the center (christmas shopping) and there had been a football match on, they were all streaming out of the grounds and towards the center. I nip into a shop, have a browse around, come out about 10 minutes later and Im walking down between two buildings that arent covered with CCTV. This (I thought crazy) woman came up and started talking AT me "If they do that again Im calling the police".......Im stood there wondering WTF she is on about, then I look down the wayside and theres three (proper hard bastard looking) lads using somebodies head as a football. They then pick him up off the floor and start a few fists to the head. Im like thinking "fuck me, what the fuck do I do now?", (as you do).....but then they stopped and were just having "words". I waited around again, phone poised on 999 ready, and they saw me watching and on the phone and decided to cool off. A few minutes later it seemed over, so I started walking away, then I heard another "sshmack" around the face, I turned around and theyd right hooked the poor bastard again and he was cowering crouched against the wall. But then the lads ran off to catch up with thier other crowd of mates.

Its NOT pleasant being in these situations and just standing by as a spectator. If you step in and cant handle yourself even basically, then you will be a 'stupid idiot' for interviening and the Police will condemn such actions, but if you step in there and see them off, youre being hailed a hero and you will be glad you could have saved somebodies life, stopped them being raped or whatever.

Do any of you know the case of Richard Whelan, aged 28? He was stabbed to death on a packed bus in London by hooded black youths just for telling them to stop throwing chips at his girlfriend. Nobody on the bus came to his aid until the gang had (quite easily) walked off into the night at the next stop. Some bloke on the bus wouldnt even lend this dying man his leather jacket to keep him warm because "it would get blood on it". Nobody backed the couple up at the time, nobody really wanted to know or get involved after it happened.

Now, that personally scares the shit out of me, and thats why I thought it time to perhaps learn how to handle myself a bit better, and not just sit there like the usual drip as these bastards walk allover you.

If you can get out of a situation, talk it through, calm it down, walk away, then ofcourse thats better and my much prefered option, but sometimes, like in the case of the girl, or the cowering lad being beaten, or fuckwits openly harassing you and your girlfriend, sometimes it reaches a point where you have to say something and stand up for yourself, and if you DO dare mutter a word in these peoples' direction then Im afraid you really have to be able to "handle" a situation with your fists.

Lee DJ seems to know just what Im on about, whether its with Chavs or "wanna be" chavs that hang out in packs, or anybody, doesnt matter who or where, these things are happening more and more.

Sirius.

Last edited: