Is New Technology A Good Thing !!

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Wezza

Apr 21, 2005
Nearer Than You Think .....
right then i was thinking about this the other day after i had been reading about the 1210's to stop been made next year and was thinking is all this new technology a good thing like cdj's and the new icdx's were you can just plug in a flashcard with all yer tunes on it or all the soft wear you can use like vinyl like serato or tractor skratch or all the midi controllers for controlling cd dj'ing soft wear like ablerton or like the new gadget the pacemaker !

its like on a few forums i go on new technology is a dirty word and they just don't want to know about things that you are wanting to chatting about like serato or cdj's I've always tryed to keep my finger on the pulse as they say but some of the new stuff you can dj with nowa days are just too dear for us mear mortals like serato its about £500 a basic ablerton program is about £300+ or a club standard cdx is about £1000+ just a little out of our price range .

i know we are all on here because of our love ov old skool but times and technology moves on so we have too or we will be left in the dark ages and some people will say "I'm old skool and i'm staying old skool " meaning i will always play the good old vinyl .

but look at some of the top dj's nowa days and i'll add not my fav's dj's the likes of okenfold , tong , cox , hawtin , van dyke , mills , sasha , beltram all using alberton or serato or some form ov new technology to dj to the massers with and all legends in their own rights nowa days but some people just say " cdj's and ablerton or serato are just for mindless morons who can't dj and one dj even told me cdj's are dead "!!

but the dj's using them will earn more in a month than we will in a lifetime so who's the moron !
but choose wot or how you dj you still have to watch the beats or get yer next track ready or wot you are doing and yer on some soft wear you can have yer mix all ready set up but dj'ing was all about having fun if i remember rightly !

i've watched Various dj's over the years like beltram using serato , sasha using abelton and Various dj's like mr nex using the good old vinyl and various dj's using cdj's !

and i know not a lot of people on here will like the new ways ov dj'ing and we all love vinyl but is it the way forward i just want to now people thoughts on it right rant over !:|

Last edited:

SCR101.5

Apr 19, 2003
but some people just say " cdj's and ablerton or serato are just for mindless morons who can't dj and one dj even told me cdj's are dead "!!

That's nonsense what they're saying- A crap dj will be crap regardless of their preferred medium for playing out. Although the new digital formats take a lot of the hard work out of the equation (& to some djs that means removing the fun), you then have to think about layering/blending of songs & sample & effects & there is a different type of pressure to say beatmatching. I agree that you do that anyway if you are mixing vinyl, maybe, but not necessarily to the same degree, eg. 3 trax/ or loops on the go, with eqing, when to turn loops into full trax.
Like you can tell a good dj from their record box, you can tell a good digidj from their harddrive and as long as either of them contain good music, I'm happy.

Wezza

Apr 21, 2005
That's nonsense what they're saying- A crap dj will be crap regardless of their preferred medium for playing out. Although the new digital formats take a lot of the hard work out of the equation (& to some djs that means removing the fun), you then have to think about layering/blending of songs & sample & effects & there is a different type of pressure to say beatmatching. I agree that you do that anyway if you are mixing vinyl, maybe, but not necessarily to the same degree, eg. 3 trax/ or loops on the go, with eqing, when to turn loops into full trax.
Like you can tell a good dj from their record box, you can tell a good digidj from their harddrive and as long as either of them contain good music, I'm happy.

yer i agree on that mate i myself are just leaning the icdx's and midi controllers and soft wear their is so much going on at any given one time i think theirs more to take in than just two decks on the go .

is it that people are too scared to take on this new style of dj'ing and just stick to wot they know like just two decks and a mixer i think its like wot you said " new digital formats take a lot of the hard work out of the equation " i think they just see it as two cd players and a laptop with tunes on it and don't realise wot work goes in to it for the said dj.

does it really matter wot the dj is playing on weather it be decks , cdj's or a laptop as long as the tunes and mixing is good but saying that a lot of purist's will say it should be played on decks end ov !

its like the thread danny did on here about traktor skratch pro that in its self is a new way of dj'ing in a vinyl / digital way !
If you love vinyl, then tractor scratch pro will blow your head off. Absolutely amazing
first we had decks then came the first dj cd players then came all the soft wear then came cdj's wot can play mp3 discs now we have cdj's were you can plug in a flash card or a external hard drive with yer tunes on it wot can come next !

Last edited:

Sheikh Yerbouti

Jan 4, 2008
Some**** Somewhere in Summertime
When it comes to technology whether it be DJ gear or owt else there's a lot to be said for being 1 step behind the curve IMO.

Right or wrong some ppl will always want the latest greatest gadget regardless of what it costs & manufacturers know this & price accordingly.

Economically it makes a lot of sense to stay slightly back from the "leading edge".

It's also not a bad idea to let other people discover all the little quirks and faults of new bits of gear. It gives the manufacturers time to refine & fix things before you jump in with your hard-earned.

Likewise when a product's been out and in-use for a while there's normally a wealth of information out there on what's good & bad about it, which you can use to make an informed buying decision.

I'm not serious enough about playing records for it to ever be an issue for me personally, but it doesn't just apply to DJ gear. Cars, computers, mobile phones even, same rule applies. I'd rather have "tried and tested and established" than worry about all the latest bells & whistles.

Wezza

Apr 21, 2005
When it comes to technology whether it be DJ gear or owt else there's a lot to be said for being 1 step behind the curve IMO.

Right or wrong some ppl will always want the latest greatest gadget regardless of what it costs & manufacturers know this & price accordingly.

Economically it makes a lot of sense to stay slightly back from the "leading edge".

It's also not a bad idea to let other people discover all the little quirks and faults of new bits of gear. It gives the manufacturers time to refine & fix things before you jump in with your hard-earned.

Likewise when a product's been out and in-use for a while there's normally a wealth of information out there on what's good & bad about it, which you can use to make an informed buying decision.

I'm not serious enough about playing records for it to ever be an issue for me personally, but it doesn't just apply to DJ gear. Cars, computers, mobile phones even, same rule applies. I'd rather have "tried and tested and established" than worry about all the latest bells & whistles.

When it comes to technology whether it be DJ gear or owt else there's a lot to be said for being 1 step behind the curve IMO
lol i think i'm about 5 year's behind with the cdj's and some of the other stuff too but i thought it would be about time to get some cdj's as like you said when they have been out a bit and used you can read up on them before you buy some .

and yer their will always be somebody wanting the latest gadget trying to be one step a head but i think thats just the world we live in nowa days supply and demand but you have raised a good point .:thumbsup:

MANC

Apr 1, 2003
Manc
same questions were probibly asked about electric guitars, distortion pedels, synths, samplers, drum machines etc