Illusion @ Phillips Park Hall..

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

marc@risky

Feb 19, 2003
Lancashire
Ahh Well where do i start??? Saturday night and it was Illusion @ Phillips Park Hall/Whitefield/Manchster. Me and the 10 others who went where well up for it, :thumbsup: we'd hired a limo, as it was me fiances b/day....
Got there at last, as we got lost :mad: lol at about 8.30ish we arrived at the venue, wasnt to busy but there where a few heads in, its quiet a mad setup really once inside..
I Had to make sure all our party got in safely as i was on the guest list and i had every bodys ticket money, unfortunatly the bouncers where wankers, as they always are, and tryed to rush me on even tho there wernt anybody else to get in after us!!!!!
once in we entered the hardcore arena which is normally a function room for weddings etc so you can imagine the setup, a really low roof, u know the tiled type you used to get at school??? there where a few heads in there well up for it and were going hell for lever lol...
We bypassed this as we wernt really into it and decided to check out the oldskool arena which i might add was a Bowlers reunion arena.... (They where 5 arenas in all but they played stuff like hard techno and more hardcore, which aint for me but people where enjoying it as we walked through the different arenas...)
Up first we had ventura and snypa i think playing a good section of oldskool tunage....
This set, set the mood for the night and was pretty good...
A couple of hours had passed anyway lots and lots more people arrived and everybody was havin fun etc, a few dodgy people but hey you get that every where i reckon??? didnt see any fighting all night which was a bounus.
About half way through the night i was asked to play a set and step in for some one who didnt turn up! obviously i hadnt bought any tunes, so decided to go back to back witht the man like Daz Willot, this guy had em all rockin in his previous set, which i might add was top notch!!!!
next up was Dream Frequency every body shoved forward to capture the moment!!! there where no key boards at all, one singer, and two dancers all on a stage about 3foot x 5foot!! They kicked of with "feel so real" i think then played "take me" and then they played wigan pier style tunes :confused:...
Any way next up was daz willot me & xtc back to back, which was fun, and an honour for me playing alongside to legend djs, i was in my element i'll tell ya lol :p after us dj Sy and Seduction played for the last couple of hours, which started of great but then ended in dissaster as they went a bit to breakbeat/jungle and definatly wernt Bowlers tackle!!!!!!!
This did empty the dance floor too and put alot of people on a downer i reckon, we wanted oldskool piano, but it wernt meant to be.
Over all it was a good night we all got messy as you do :fekked: and the crowd over all were sound....
Anyways that was my opinon on illusion.....

Dj Ben Fisher

Jul 15, 2001
@ GT HQ
www.goodtimesclub.info
Ill ave my veiw on the night . . . :) firstly nice to meet ya again Marc its been a long time mate , good to see ya doin well . . :) and congrats with ya news :) . . was good to see ya and a few old faces not seen for some time now

Was the 1st time @ phillips park hall for me both djin & goin for a night out . . had herd lots and lots about it so was well lookin forward to it , and i hadnt been to an illusion for quite some time now . .

Got to the venue about 8.15pm ( found it with ease, after reccas good directions ) cheers fella . :) . . wasnt that busy wen we arrived but it was still early on , got straight in and took me records to the room i was playin in then whent for a scout around the place , the venue is well mad and not what i expected to say the least , with rooms and stairs everywere !! ,and took a while to get used to it but as it filled up it ya eased into it :) tbh i dont think its the perfect venue for a hardcore event , but it was a change from the norm i guess ( much prefer keele uni anyday )

I played early on in the night in the UK Scene hardcore room , playin happy hardcore piano classics !! cheese to the max !!! lol and loved it :) :) made a change from playin old skool and summat a little faster as well !!! :) my set went down really well , and will be playin hardcore a lot more from now on i foresee . .

Spent the rest of the night bobbin in and out of all the rooms and chattin to folk along the way , managed to catch all of marc / xtc / dazs set - Top stuff fellas !!! also saw DF there , ( have to say this was the biggest dissapointment of the night for me ) as it wasnt what i would expect from them , as they had no real stage bar a big raised step . . lol not enough to fit all 3 of them on , no rooms for the dancers to do there stuff , and no ian bland with the keyboards . . . . Did two of the biggest tracks ( no goodtimes tho ;) :) lol ) and to my amazement , they then did two new/ish tracks . . one a pumped up scouse house type track and the other a trance track . lol thought this was an old skool room myself . . . . . . Saw SY and Seduction go b2b then , this was a top set and my fave of the night !! two old skool masters goin head to head , with some massive old piano / hardcore and breakbeat type tunes goin down . . but then when Sy had to leave with an hour to go to go play the main room , it suddenly went into some proper hard and dirty breakbeat type stuff which proper dropped the room atmos imo , spec after the last hour which they had the place buzzin !!!

Also myself didnt see ANY bother or trouble around the place or attitude tbh , there was no big majority of locals in imo which i think helped in the good safe turnout for the night , as most ppl travel from all over to go an illusion , overall i had a top night and really enjoyed myself . .think the night was a success anyway as it was well full at the end !! good one to alex @ illusion :) :) hope the next one is as good ( and back at keele uni too i might add )

marc@risky

Feb 19, 2003
Lancashire
Dj Ben Fisher said:
Ill ave my veiw on the night . . . :) firstly nice to meet ya again Marc its been a long time mate , good to see ya doin well . . :) and congrats with ya news :) . . was good to see ya and a few old faces not seen for some time now

Nice one Ben, likewise fella, will be intouch very shortly about you playing for us fella...

dj old skooler

Jan 19, 2004
i had a bangin night!! venue reminded me of the old corn mill,i thought itd be bigger than it was.
caught bens set of happy,twas a blast from the past some of them trax lad(but i knew the sum of the words)
great atmos all night,didnt see any trouble either(again which is a bonus)
i cant wait for the next illusion,well done alex m8,told ya itd be rite lad. :thumbsup: